• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Solid stuff down at Dangar today.

Thankfully the rain stayed away for most of the day, although the field looked to be in pretty bad shape nevertheless. The Cranbrook 3rds won 15-14 over Barker 3rds with a winning penalty goal from the flyhalf; who a couple of the schoolboys near me were calling "Aaron". Needless to say the match was a cracker. The 2s game was quite similar with some back and forth action yet Cranbrook won the game by playing toward their seemingly dominant left-flank. I forget the score but in the end it was roughly a two-try margin to the good. Unfortunately the same feat couldn't be repeated in the 1s as Barker were simply too good and won the game through their sheer size and physicality; a notable stand-out was Dion Yazdani. I wonder if his "uncle" is going to say anything!;)

All round a good day of schoolboy rugby.

Agreed RL, it was a tough day for Cranbrook in the 1s. Barker came out very determined, right from the kickoff, more physical all round. I thought Barker would win, but with a lesser margin.

2nds, Cranbrook 22 Barker 17. Brook behind 17-12 with about 5+ mins to go.

frontrowisgreat

Bob McCowan (2)
My breakdown of the Cranbrook Barker game at Dangar yesterday:

It was a wet day with the night's rain and earlier drizzle making the ground damp and muddy. This meant that slick back's play was restricted and more hard line footy was being played; much more enjoyable IMO, additionally, scrums were hard with the front rows clearly finding it difficult to mount an assault and instead opted to hold their ground and rely on quick ball from the hookers and 9's. This being said, the game was much more physical then Cranbrook's preferred playing style - using their backs to run around the edges and taking the opportunities in counter attack. It was clear that both sides did not want to play in their own half - Barker seemed to have a rule where they did not play more than five or so phases inside their 50, never mind the 22.

Barker's playing style was also somewhat altered, the edge to edge play that they historically strive for was hampered due to Dangar being slightly skinnier than a full size oval. I was wondering how this would play out. All the talk about their coach in past years and this year can be ignored when you look at his ability to adapt the team to the location and opponent. Barker had 4 or 5 starting backs out for this game, I also heard one of which was only injured this week at training, a tight turn around for any new player to a 1st XV side. Nevertheless, the Barker backs showed their capability yesterday, with the young showing signs of brilliance and vision after taking over from the injured Luke Harrison. Barker's 10, Ben Graham (brother of the 2018 Matt) was everywhere, involved in most plays challenging the line and dispatching the ball, keeping Cranbrook guessing. The 12/13 combo for Barker was new this week with a winger being moved to 13 (the injury this week) but showed real promise, especially in defence. Particularly, Joe Kennedy the 12 put on some big hits and was solid in the line all game. The two wingers for Barker are both new to the team but really stepped up to the challenge from the experienced Cranbrook wingers. Awesome kicking game from the 14 and a brilliant on the fly leap to take a cross field kick by the 11 embodied their performance. Barker's pack was dominant in terms of physicality, ignoring the scrums that were evenly matched due to the poor conditions. Dan Stovold (c) was injured in the first 5 minutes, aggravating a pre existing injury I think, but he started well with a 15-20m run right off the first whistle. The front row for Barker, Chayton E, Tyrone A and Dion were solid all round the park. Chayton and Dion making their fair share of linebreaks/tackle busts. The two props were spectacular in their physicality, doing the dirty work. The hooker was good in the lineouts, except for a few close overthrows, seemed to take control of the edge set of players that were new to the team and was good in defence. Kyle Bowen also had another great game, similar to Ronald V at Waves with his way of slicing through the line.

Cranbrook's backline was on their game as well. Led by the number 10, Ollie (I believe), the moves were well constructed and kept Barker on their toes. The wingers always getting clean ball with space testing the new wingers from Barker. The #13 and #15 from Brook seemed to connect well together, drawing in key players and executing their counters very well. The cranbrook forward back's performance was not as obvious as Barker's but they got their job done well, solid carries and robust defence all round. Special mention to the 8, also their captain. A real workhorse all day and great gutso in defense. The Brook hooker was also good, scoring a nice try of the back of one of the Winger's attacking kicks.

Apologies to brook for the brief synopsis as I don't know many of the players and am a Barker fan!

All round a very entertaining game with the sides closely matched, tries coming off from one off line breaks or solid set piece work.

~Front Row

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
My breakdown of the Cranbrook Barker game at Dangar yesterday:

It was a wet day with the night's rain and earlier drizzle making the ground damp and muddy. This meant that slick back's play was restricted and more hard line footy was being played; much more enjoyable IMO, additionally, scrums were hard with the front rows clearly finding it difficult to mount an assault and instead opted to hold their ground and rely on quick ball from the hookers and 9's. This being said, the game was much more physical then Cranbrook's preferred playing style - using their backs to run around the edges and taking the opportunities in counter attack. It was clear that both sides did not want to play in their own half - Barker seemed to have a rule where they did not play more than five or so phases inside their 50, never mind the 22.

Barker's playing style was also somewhat altered, the edge to edge play that they historically strive for was hampered due to Dangar being slightly skinnier than a full size oval. I was wondering how this would play out. All the talk about their coach in past years and this year can be ignored when you look at his ability to adapt the team to the location and opponent. Barker had 4 or 5 starting backs out for this game, I also heard one of which was only injured this week at training, a tight turn around for any new player to a 1st XV side. Nevertheless, the Barker backs showed their capability yesterday, with the young showing signs of brilliance and vision after taking over from the injured Luke Harrison. Barker's 10, Ben Graham (brother of the 2018 Matt) was everywhere, involved in most plays challenging the line and dispatching the ball, keeping Cranbrook guessing. The 12/13 combo for Barker was new this week with a winger being moved to 13 (the injury this week) but showed real promise, especially in defence. Particularly, Joe Kennedy the 12 put on some big hits and was solid in the line all game. The two wingers for Barker are both new to the team but really stepped up to the challenge from the experienced Cranbrook wingers. Awesome kicking game from the 14 and a brilliant on the fly leap to take a cross field kick by the 11 embodied their performance. Barker's pack was dominant in terms of physicality, ignoring the scrums that were evenly matched due to the poor conditions. Dan Stovold (c) was injured in the first 5 minutes, aggravating a pre existing injury I think, but he started well with a 15-20m run right off the first whistle. The front row for Barker, Chayton E, Tyrone A and Dion were solid all round the park. Chayton and Dion making their fair share of linebreaks/tackle busts. The two props were spectacular in their physicality, doing the dirty work. The hooker was good in the lineouts, except for a few close overthrows, seemed to take control of the edge set of players that were new to the team and was good in defence. Kyle Bowen also had another great game, similar to Ronald V at Waves with his way of slicing through the line.

Cranbrook's backline was on their game as well. Led by the number 10, Ollie (I believe), the moves were well constructed and kept Barker on their toes. The wingers always getting clean ball with space testing the new wingers from Barker. The #13 and #15 from Brook seemed to connect well together, drawing in key players and executing their counters very well. The cranbrook forward back's performance was not as obvious as Barker's but they got their job done well, solid carries and robust defence all round. Special mention to the 8, also their captain. A real workhorse all day and great gutso in defense. The Brook hooker was also good, scoring a nice try of the back of one of the Winger's attacking kicks.

Apologies to brook for the brief synopsis as I don't know many of the players and am a Barker fan!

All round a very entertaining game with the sides closely matched, tries coming off from one off line breaks or solid set piece work.

~Front Row

A good assessment of Barker’s effort yesterday. Due to the fact that Barker broke Brook’s defence from the very first (Cranbrook) kick off of the match and scored their first try within 5 mins, your synopsis of Brook’s effort is very fair. Barker were more physical all across the field.

Although a Cranbrook OB, I’m not up with the player names. On Cranbrook’s effort and the players’ you mentioned, I think no.13, usually very elusive, was well marked. No.10 is a very calm and organised player and even under pressure yesterday, he played well. The speedy Brook no.11 got away from the Barker defence on numerous occasions, but the Barker cover was abundant. The other Brook winger went off with a dislocated shoulder (I believe), replaced by no.20, who put in a great effort.

In the forwards, no’s 2 & 3 were very good and some great tackling from rest of them. Cranbrook capt no.8 throws himself into everything. If this was the first game of the season, I’d say Barker needs to work on their line out, where they lost a few throws, but really, that’s being picky. Other than that, Barker came out revved up and disrupted most of Cranbrook’s attempts.

A very good game and even though I was watching from a fair distance, I could still hear the hits! Another game played in great spirit.

Proper prop

Frank Row (1)

Hi again, this popped up on my YouTube recommend feed a I thought why not post another video, barker rugby culture must be deep if the 6thXV are making highlights ! Worth a watch!! Love the music choice takes me back Ahhahaha

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
All a bit quiet here on the forum(?)

This weekend;
B v K
W v T
C v A

The final table is presumably;
W - 15
B - 12
K, T, C - 6
A - 0

R

RuggerFan1

I'd say the main reason why we haven't heard from our regulars on this forum of late (WLF, WTF, Axel, SDW, etc) is due to idiotic posts like this one above; I really hope these kids would simply go back to doing their schoolwork, or post something constructive.

Jesus mate a bit of kind hearted fun.

The CAS boys not up for a bit of harmless name calling?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Ok time to break the silence from all the boys comments.
Keen to hear the make up of all teams for this weekend.
Waves will be at full strength v Trinity at Death Valley.
Imagine the crowd all things being normal.
A real shame, but just the same,
GO THE WAVES!!!

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Ok time to break the silence from all the boys comments.
Keen to hear the make up of all teams for this weekend.
Waves will be at full strength v Trinity at Death Valley.
Imagine the crowd all things being normal.
A real shame, but just the same,
GO THE WAVES!!!
Would you know the Waverley starting line up. ? Let’s hope there forward pack remains the same as they have been a real highlight of the season ( how many of them will return 2021 )

Volkman has been the star of the backline 9 times out of 10 he will make something happen.
Will there be a CAS team named ?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

GPS are picking a 1sts and 2nds team and they are scheduled to play the 'NSW Combined Barbarians' on 22/9. Never heard of such a side before. Must be a COVID thing. Maybe some CAS lads will be picked in baabaas. Issue could be gap between last CAS game and 22/9

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Would you know the Waverley starting line up. ? Let’s hope there forward pack remains the same as they have been a real highlight of the season ( how many of them will return 2021 )

Volkman has been the star of the backline 9 times out of 10 he will make something happen.

No changes to last weeks team, at full strength for Trinity.

In 2021 the following forwards and backs, who are currently in year 11 now, will return.
Forwards (5) No 1,2,4,5,8. There will also be 2 current backs, and a further 2 backs who have run on this year and last, so (4).

Volkman has been nothing short of spectacular, I think he remembered the close the loss to Barker in 2018, and last years disappointing performance by the team. He has certainly made an amazing impact this year, and is a great Lad.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)

In 2021 the following forwards and backs, who are currently in year 11 now, will return.
Forwards (5) No 1,2,4,5,8. There will also be 2 current backs, and a further 2 backs who have run on this year and last, so (4).

Volkman has been nothing short of spectacular, I think he remembered the close the loss to Barker in 2018, and last years disappointing performance by the team. He has certainly made an amazing impact this year, and is a great Lad.

WLF
Do you think Volkman will continue rugby next year after school, and if so where will he play? I hope he stays with rugby..
RR

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF
Do you think Volkman will continue rugby next year after school, and if so where will he play? I hope he stays with rugby..
RR

I have no idea RR,

I too would hope he stays with Rugby, but as has happened so many times before, these types of gifted boys get lost to league.
If Union had the financial resources, then he may well have, but I fear the other code will win out again.

informant

Frank Row (1)

Interesting WLF, from what I know the Waverley no 1 and no 8 are both in year 12, And also the flyhalf. You can expect the inside centre to return and also the halfback, who played firsts in year 10 but I haven’t seen him get much game time this year. What the informant knows is that the 2,4,5,12 are the starting year 11’s and will be returning all others that you mention may be repeating.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting WLF, from what I know the Waverley no 1 and no 8 are both in year 12, And also the flyhalf. You can expect the inside centre to return and also the halfback, who played firsts in year 10 but I haven’t seen him get much game time this year. What the informant knows is that the 2,4,5,12 are the starting year 11’s and will be returning all others that you mention may be repeating.
Those 3 boys have stayed in year 11 this year, they didn't progress into year 12, as they are young for their year and have played nearly all of their rugby in the younger age group.