• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Alas, Barker cannot continue its historic streak and I must enter hibernation. Some of you may be happy with this news (Axel, WLF, Rod Skellet) and this may sadden some of you (my fellow B0P, Barkerdad101, DionYazUncle, Baxter). I'm sure next year will bring more promise with the rise of young stars, such as Hamish Jollow and Lachlan Hooper, and you will see me once more. Maybe a little more cheating from the boys in red aye, haha, a bit more walkie talkie action, just joking of course, all in the love of rugby. See you all in the next thread.

Ill miss you my friend. A strong Barker 16s transitioning into the opens side next year with star player Slack-Smith back from injury will form a very strong Barker 1st XV next year. Now,,, onto the next!

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Next season sure will be interesting affair.

Alot of talent across Barker, Knox and Waverley 16s groups. Barker and Knox will definitely be strong, the 3 way tie for the 16s premiership speaks volumes for an exciting 2021. Knox put it to Waverley early before it being evened up, only separated by a yellow card and penalty goal at the death. Barker beating Knox to call it the three way tie shows talent across the board.

Alot of young blood across 1sts and 2nds also. Waverley 1sts for example will have 5 forwards returning next season as well as their 10, 12 and regular tight head prop reserve from the 16s. The 2nd XV also had a particularly strong 9 and 10 pairing from year 11.

Everyone speaks about the experienced coaching at Barker and Knox, and there is no doubt they are fantastic coaching staff. With strong experienced coaches, vast resources, strength and conditioning coaches and equipment. But Waverley must be doing something right with a coaching staff made purely from school teachers and parents. 1st XV Henry Plume shield won in 2016, 2017 and 2020. Thats before considering the the 2nd XV have won 4 straight 2017-2020, and the 3rd XV have won 7 straight 2014-2020.

Trinity may struggle due to the small 16s squad, but their 15s squad was strong, only losing in their last matchup at Queens Park to come 2nd in the premiership race. Their 1st XV efforts to score the last 3 tries against Waverley yesterday showed alot of ticker and a never die attitude, even when considering round 5 and not playing for Henry.

Cranbrook had some good moments and wins- particularly the 2nds defeating Barker and 1sts narrowly missing a win against Trinity at Summerhill. Ethan Flanagan in particular (left Waverley for Cranbrook in 2019) has looked electric when he had space. He will return in 2021 and no doubt be a key strike player in the backline.

Aloys will struggle again next season looking at results, but if GPS schools like Joeys hadn't taken a few key players on scholarships back between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, that team could have been completely different. They never give up.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for the reading over the 2020 season everyone.

You one of the coaches? You sound like the coach? Do you coach the firsts? Your lucky that you won.

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
In reality Barker should hAve won this year.

A better for and against. Better coaches.
Better school. Waverley got the luck of the bounce. Couldn’t even beat trinity well. Just watched the tape. Barker were better against them. As rod said, Waverley only better by one point, I reckon bettter by negative one point.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
In reality Barker should hAve won this year.

A better for and against. Better coaches.
Better school. Waverley got the luck of the bounce. Couldn’t even beat trinity well. Just watched the tape. Barker were better against them. As rod said, Waverley only better by one point, I reckon bettter by negative one point.

Greetings B3P (what should have been),

If I can recall correctly, the class of 2020 rugby was dominated mainly by Trinity and Barker in earlier years. I remember Trinity and Barker used to put up like 60 points against Waverley every round. Whereas Trinity and Barker have maintained the same team since the 13s age group to the opens, the Waverley team is completely different now (a LOT of islanders who play league!). Realistically, yes, you're right, it should have been Barkers with Trinity being the main challenger, but unfortunately it is what it is

Robbo1971

Frank Row (1)

If I can recall correctly, the class of 2020 rugby was dominated mainly by Trinity and Barker in earlier years. I remember Trinity and Barker used to put up like 60 points against Waverley every round. Whereas Trinity and Barker have maintained the same team since the 13s age group to the opens, the Waverley team is completely different now (a LOT of islanders who play league!). Realistically, yes, you're right, it should have been Barkers with Trinity being the main challenger, but unfortunately it is what it is

Gday Baxter,

The class of 2020 in the younger ages was definitely dominated by Trinity from 13-15s with many big lads at young ages. Although the rest seemed to be very competitive, I was surprised to hear when the Aloys side was thumped by Barker this year because as I recall in u13s-15s they beat this same Barker side by 30-40 every time as they did with waverley. Knox throughout the age groups were also very strong finishing second most years beating out the Barker and Waverley sides fairly convincingly. How the tables have turned in the class of 2020!

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Gday Baxter,

The class of 2020 in the younger ages was definitely dominated by Trinity from 13-15s with many big lads at young ages. Although the rest seemed to be very competitive, I was surprised to hear when the Aloys side was thumped by Barker this year because as I recall in u13s-15s they beat this same Barker side by 30-40 every time as they did with waverley. Knox throughout the age groups were also very strong finishing second most years beating out the Barker and Waverley sides fairly convincingly. How the tables have turned in the class of 2020!

Goes to show how well coached the Barker side is and for the Waverley side.....

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
What a CAS season one never to be forgotten for many reasons. Congratulations to deserved winners Waverley who in my mind are outright opens champions 16 As ( share title ) 3XV (7th title in a row ) 2nd XV (4th in a row ) 1st XV (3rd title in the last 5 years ) just shows that their rugby programme is functioning well. Congratulations also to all those year 12 students who took part in the CAS and now move into exams good luck boys and thank you for the memories.
Like most of you on here I am a rugby fan and enjoy the some of the banter and am looking forward to 2021 edition hopefully without the student input !

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)

Please dont feed the trolls WLF (i.e. - pls don't bite back and respond to this nonsense.... we all know how Waverley have been consistently a good team over the years)

John O'Connor

Frank Row (1)
Any match report on the game?

Hey Mate,

A very convincing win for the Cranbrook boys, started off a bit shaky in the first ten, however, Cranbrook managed to maintain composure and come through. After the first half, they took the year 11's off to give the year 12's a chance to play the final minutes of the game for their school.

Overall, a great Saturday afternoon of footy.

Barker4Peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Please dont feed the trolls WLF (i.e. - pls don't bite back and respond to this nonsense.. we all know how Waverley have been consistently a good team over the years)

With all due respect RR, I believe my dear friend WLF can make his own decisions. I believe that Waverley won fair enough, and that all the Barker fans on this thread have to face the music and stop making excuses.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Good on you young mate for standing up for yourself. Yes Waverley won fair and square, no excuses. I look forward to your comments next year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Good on you young mate for standing up for yourself. Yes Waverley won fair and square, no excuses. I look forward to your comments next year.

Good call Has,

Rugby Ref, I think it's fair to say that a number of people have commented on the boys comments.
But the important thing is for everyone to not be personal against a school or boy, they are just boys.
B4P, more than happy to have banter with you and others, as long as it is balanced, and do appreciate your rugby IQ.

Until next year, watch out for WHITE LINE FEVER! (WLF).

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Head of Barker just send us all an email saying that all inter-school sport has been cancelled from this week on due to the recently released (today) advice for schools from NSW Health, I wonder if it will affect the GPS comp.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Head of Barker just send us all an email saying that all inter-school sport has been cancelled from this week on due to the recently released (today) advice for schools from NSW Health, I wonder if it will affect the GPS comp.

This is fucking stupid, had there been ANY cases arising from school sport ?

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
None that I am aware of but IGGSA was cancelled last weekend due to the outbreak at Tangara.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
On a very nice note, Mr Neil Marks, a long time Barker coach was at Barker today to watch the annual grudge match between our fierce and respected rivals Knox. Neil was the coach of the 15As back in 1978 (i was in the Bs), and always looked after an under age team, giving them the springboard into the open age groups. He was in fine form. Unbeknown to Philip Heath (Barkers Headmaster) Neil's nick name was "Bulldog ". Neils legacy continues to flow through the veins of all Barker players, with another well known coach Len Nixon continuing to put the iron in the veins of all Barker lads, over a fabulous 45 year career at the school. Lenny was my coach in the 15Bs in 1978.

So you left Barker in '81 Rod?