• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi Axel,
Segala and Hooper, Both members of the barker 1st XV side last year (2020), both tremendous players. Hooper a loose forward or 2nd Row being in year 10 last year, was one of their best, if not their best forward. Segala played a few games at 13 last year and is electric with the ball.

Thanks TA...good to know.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Segala is in Year 11 as well as Hooper, been at the school for a few years (not sure exactly but pretty sure he was at least playing in the 15's team). Concussion recipient doing OK, serious injuries ruled out thankfully.

Thx WTF, That explains not having played against them in our age group, clearly very talented boys and means there is more to come from Barker! Great news re no serious injuries, let's hope all sides have their full compliment when needed.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The injured boy was the winger and will no doubt be off for a few weeks under schools concussion protocol. Hooper was a standout in 1st in yr 10 last year. He plays like a backrower. Very mobile and is an excellent lineout exponent, something Barker really missed against Joeys. He played against Stannies and went really well but has missed last 2 weeks. Not the heaviest 2nd rower around but plenty of talent and has a big motor.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
The injured boy was the winger and will no doubt be off for a few weeks under schools concussion protocol. Hooper was a standout in 1st in yr 10 last year. He plays like a backrower. Very mobile and is an excellent lineout exponent, something Barker really missed against Joeys. He played against Stannies and went really well but has missed last 2 weeks. Not the heaviest 2nd rower around but plenty of talent and has a big motor.

Is Hooper the ex Stanny's boy in the headgear. If so your appraisal is correct. His ability around the park in line out, awareness , running and defence is incredible. As a second rower he is just a natural.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Hooper the ex Stanny's boy in the headgear. If so your appraisal is correct. His ability around the park in line out, awareness , running and defence is incredible. As a second rower he is just a natural.

Yes, he normally plays in headgear

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
So, trials this weekend.

My predictions: Barker will beat Shore in a canter.

Riverview will be too strong for Knox.

Cranbrook and St Gregs? Who knows?

Trinity should beat St Pats.

St Stanislaus will be a good test of how far St Aloysius has improved.

Which leaves Kings and Waverley. I think Waverley takes this one. Mind you, it would be fun if Kings gave Sua'ali'i a game. Then it would be just like a Roosters internal trial!

Cranbrook will beat St Gregs in a canter. St Gregs lost to Barkers 3rds in a trial when we played Stannies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Your information is corrwctBarker playing Eastwood colts side made up of U18 platers
Perhaps allowing the boys to recover from injuries sustained so far this season. Perhaps two big defensive schools in a row may have been a bit much.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi WLF. Swapping back to the correct forum. Of the team that played Joeys, only Katoa 10, Finau 1, and Phillipson 9 (I think) are new this year. All year 11 lads. Ned Slack Smith the Capt has been at Barker since year 4

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi WLF. Swapping back to the correct forum. Of the team that played Joeys, only Katoa 10, Finau 1, and Phillipson 9 (I think) are new this year. All year 11 lads. Ned Slack Smith the Capt has been at Barker since year 4

Rod, confused myself just wrote the same comment on the AAGPS thread and it is..

Just wanted to know how many are back from last years 1sts and in what positions?
Don't really want to know who is new.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, confused myself just wrote the same comment on the AAGPS thread and it is..

Just wanted to know how many are back from last years 1sts and in what positions?
Don't really want to know who is new.

Yazdani 3,Tapner 4,Kardash 7, Galloway14, Kennedy 13 were the 1st Xv regulars in 2020. Ned Slack Smith would have been there but was injured all last season.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Yazdani 3,Tapner 4,Kardash 7, Galloway14, Kennedy 13 were the 1st Xv regulars in 2020. Ned Slack Smith would have been there but was injured all last season.

Ned is a champion player, I remember he played with a some of our boys in the 16as CAS Rep team, and by all reports from our boys a really good team man and got on with everyone.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Perhaps allowing the boys to recover from injuries sustained so far this season. Perhaps two big defensive schools in a row may have been a bit much.

Shore made it clear that their firsts were not playing Barker firsts.
Their Head of Rugby's quote at the season launch dinner was that ' we can't even pronounce most of the Barker player's surnames', A thinly veiled swipe at what clearly is playing out this year.
being an old Boy I am not thrilled either....

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

Don’t forget Hooper 4 and Sagala. Plus a few of the 16’s players made Cameos.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Barker v Shore not proceeding is odd and a touch worrying. Is there a reason being given for this?

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm going on form in the trials. What that suggests is that Barker and Waverley are clearly the strongest sides. Barker has knocked off Joeys, who are always a prized scalp. Waverley has pretty much cruised through the trials, beating St Augustine's pretty easily, and they're usually a good benchmark. Plus Waverley was the strongest side in this age group coming through, which means less than it used to, now that so many players in many schools join in or about Year 11.

I don't think anyone would argue very hard against that proposition.

Knox are difficult to get a handle on. They went down narrowly to Joeys, which was a decent result. They accounted for Shore easily enough. On those results, I'd have them tracking below Barker and Waverley but above Trinity and Cranbrook. But then they went down to Oakhill. Now, Oakhill lost to Trinity the week before, although they should probably have won. They dominated the set pieces, were extremely committed and gutsy, yet their error rate was extraordinary. They looked to me committed, strong and limited (but that's just one game). Anyway, from a CAS perspective, I still think that form has Knox in the top three, but more vulnerable to Trinity, Cranbrook and St Aloysius than I would have expected.

Trinity and Cranbrook seem pretty evenly-matched. Trinity won their trial, but not after a scare, and Cranbrook were a touch below full strength. Trinity really got out of jail against Oakhill, and whacked St Pius. They have a dangerous backline but (on what I have seen) really need to improve their set piece if they're to make any impact. If they get a decent supply of clean ball, they have an upset in them, but that's a big if.

Cranbrook lost to Trinity and beat St Pius 36-17. I don't know what happened at Kinross Wollaroi. I'd put them around the same level as Trinity, although their trial form is not quite as good.

And then St Aloysius. Yes, I know they beat Waverley a few years back, and that was great. But I'm dealing with this year. I think Trinity, Cranbrook and St Aloysius are the bottom three on form. Of those, Trinity beat St Pius 60-17. Cranbrook beat St Pius 36-17. St Aloysius beat St Pats 11-6. Now, on that benchmark you'd say that St Aloysius is closer to St Pius' standard than the other two schools. Yes, I know it's said in these forums that St Aloysius "dominated" against St Pius, but if you "dominate" and can only score 11 points, your side has problems, no?

St Aloysius has won four from four in the trials and looks way more competitive than last year, and these are good developments. And I hope they go well this year. But they have played the weakest opponents in the trials, so there's a limit to how much you read into it.

And, as I keep saying, any odds are good odds in a two-horse race, which means that on a given day St Aloysius can cause an upset. I'd like to see that. But, on form so far, I can't split Barker and Waverley at the top, I think Knox will be third, I can't split Trinity and Cranbrook for fourth and I suspect St Aloysius are a step behind them.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

Apologies Snort, I was actually wondering why Barker4peat said what he said, 'against snorts rules', but now I realise that all you are looking for are logical reasons as to why you think a team will win or come last in the competition and fair enough. I agree totally that Aloys will likely come last, however hopefully an improvement from last year. I suspect the appointment of Brendan McKibbin is a good start in an attempt to make Aloys more competitive and by all accounts so far in the trials they look as though their defence has tightened. I do think Barker are going to be tough to beat this year and I think the CAS team could be strong against GPS. This is all based on what everyone has mentioned regarding the trial games.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Shore made it clear that their firsts were not playing Barker firsts.
Their Head of Rugby's quote at the season launch dinner was that ' we can't even pronounce most of the Barker player's surnames', A thinly veiled swipe at what clearly is playing out this year.
being an old Boy I am not thrilled either..

What a load of sh*t what names would he struggle with
1 xv.jpg