• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

SkyBlue

Banned
The 1st Barker 1st XV prediction on the forum

1.Dion Yazdini (1xv/2xv)
2. Bryn Edwards (16A)
3. Sam Sahyoun (16A)
4. Lachlan Hooper (1xv in year 10)
5. Will Irish/Sam Tapner (2XV)
6. Tom Livingston (16A)
7. Joel Kardash (1xv/2ndxv)
8. Ned Slack-Smith (1xv)
9. Finlay Marks (16A)
10. Hamish Jollow (2xv)
11. Jakob Biet/Gabrial Reid (16A)
12. Will Kennedy (16A)
13. Eli Sagala (16A)
14. Aidan Galloway (1xv)
15. Jack Colbran (16A)

Obviously only a prediction, could be a lot of shifting throughout 4-8 as well as in the centres and wing with a lot of talent across these positions at Barker, and still a preseason in between that could drastically change this lineup. A lot of year 10's in this predicted lineup which is very interesting.

Goosie.

Chilli Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Cranbrook 2021 1st XV - Some holes to fill

1. Van Robertson (2ndXV)
2. Nosa Obaseki (1stXV)
3. Henry Parker (2ndXV) Joe Harnett (16A's)
4. Angus Hayman (16A's)
5. Liam Sartena (1stXV)
6. Alfie Dumas (2ndXV) / Maxim Zahra (2ndXV)
7. Max White (1stXV)
8. Sam Nicholas (1stXV)
9. Fred Walton (Injured) / Max Tilley(2ndXV/1stXV) , Harry Gibbons (1stXV/2ndXV)
10. Oli Torrence (1stXV)
11. Ethan Flanagan (1stXV)
12. Mateo Baldwin (Injured - only a couple of appearances in 2020)
13. Zac McConnell (1st XV)
14. Tom Pintaric (2ndXV) Dylan Roach (15A's)
15. Matthew Yetton (2ndXV/1stXV)

Rench

Frank Row (1)
Hi all,

It seems as though we have received a team prediction for 4 out of the 6 CAS schools. Could we hear from Alo's and Trinity? Always great to get a taste of the teams for next year.

Regards,

Rench

We love scrums

Frank Row (1)
Waverley College 2021 predicted lineup.

1. Smith
2. Sullivan
3. Preketes
4. Halaholo
5. Fritz JT
6. Fuka
7. Elder
8. King

9. Thorn
10. Worthington
11. Schocher
12. Dimovitch
13. Athanassiou
14. Towns
15. Di Bartolo

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
Anyone happen to have a real cranbrook predicted 2021 team?

Personally don't know too much about the brooks 16A side this year, but I know there will no more than 1 of them that will be in the starting side excluding Nosa Obeseki who played the whole season starting in the 1XV.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Cranbrook 2021 1st XV - Some holes to fill

1. Van Robertson (2ndXV)
2. Nosa Obaseki (1stXV)
3. Henry Parker (2ndXV) Joe Harnett (16A's)
4. Angus Hayman (16A's)
5. Liam Sartena (1stXV)
6. Alfie Dumas (2ndXV) / Maxim Zahra (2ndXV)
7. Max White (1stXV)
8. Sam Nicholas (1stXV)
9. Fred Walton (Injured) / Max Tilley(2ndXV/1stXV) , Harry Gibbons (1stXV/2ndXV)
10. Oli Torrence (1stXV)
11. Ethan Flanagan (1stXV)
12. Mateo Baldwin (Injured - only a couple of appearances in 2020)
13. Zac McConnell (1st XV)
14. Tom Pintaric (2ndXV) Dylan Roach (15A's)
15. Matthew Yetton (2ndXV/1stXV)

Its worth noting that although Joe Harnett played 16A's, he is actually in the year above and graduates in 2021. This means that this'll be his last year of Cranbrook rugby and he could receive some preference over other 16A's boys trying to get into the 1XV.

My CAS ladder prediction
1, Waverly
2, Barker
3, St Aloysius
4, Knox
5, Trinity
6, Cranbrook

Now there's a clear shock with alos and 3rd but from what i've heard there 16s had two players playing 1st xv rugby and are showing much promise in the year bellow, i may be wrong but let a man dream.

Seriously do not know where you pulled this one from CAS Rugby 1010. St Aloysius are again going to be weak next year after being dominated during every game. Cranbrook are going to be a lot stronger after having a couple close loses to the big 3 (waverly, barker and knox) in the 16A's. I agree that trinity will finish 5th next season.

Waverly will be strong again and I predict will back up this season's result.

FWD

Iloverucks1

Stan Wickham (3)
The 1st Barker 1st XV prediction on the forum

1.Dion Yazdini (1xv/2xv)
2. Bryn Edwards (16A)
3. Sam Sahyoun (16A)
4. Lachlan Hooper (1xv in year 10)
5. Will Irish/Sam Tapner (2XV)
6. Tom Livingston (16A)
7. Joel Kardash (1xv/2ndxv)
8. Ned Slack-Smith (1xv)
9. Finlay Marks (16A)
10. Hamish Jollow (2xv)
11. Jakob Biet/Gabrial Reid (16A)
12. Will Kennedy (16A)
13. Eli Sagala (16A)
14. Aidan Galloway (1xv)
15. Jack Colbran (16A)

Obviously only a prediction, could be a lot of shifting throughout 4-8 as well as in the centres and wing with a lot of talent across these positions at Barker, and still a preseason in between that could drastically change this lineup. A lot of year 10's in this predicted lineup which is very interesting.

Goosie.
Goosie, please don't forget about Darcy Benefield (2nd XV Openside Flanker) excellent over the ball and great runner, gave Cranners and Knox a good battle in the breakdown. I think no.6 will be a fight but I have Benefield winning.

Regards,
ILR

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My CAS ladder prediction
1, Waverly
2, Barker
3, St Aloysius
4, Knox
5, Trinity
6, Cranbrook

Now there's a clear shock with alos and 3rd but from what i've heard there 16s had two players playing 1st xv rugby and are showing much promise in the year bellow, i may be wrong but let a man dream.
Your obviously smoking something special to put Alo’s 3rd for 2021............thru the years since these boys started yr 7, Alo’s form suggests distant last for next year.
My early predictions are Waves deserved favourites, then Knox, Barker, Cranbrook, Trinity and then Alo’s.
Happy to hear others opinions obviously

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Your obviously smoking something special to put Alo’s 3rd for 2021....thru the years since these boys started yr 7, Alo’s form suggests distant last for next year.
My early predictions are Waves deserved favourites, then Knox, Barker, Cranbrook, Trinity and then Alo’s.

Agree Axe, the only spots that could be debatable are 5 and 6.
So far imo, no one in the know has picked a school team very close to what those in the know would pick, and of course too much schoolboy rubbish.

The Analyser

Bob McCowan (2)
Your obviously smoking something special to put Alo’s 3rd for 2021....thru the years since these boys started yr 7, Alo’s form suggests distant last for next year.
Axel, I know ur in the spin with the Knox 1st XV 2021, Luke Tucker, Jack Black and Romayo Bray are clear stand outs within the age group. Any other young guns coming through we should be a where of??

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Axel, I know ur in the spin with the Knox 1st XV 2021, Luke Tucker, Jack Black and Romayo Bray are clear stand outs within the age group. Any other young guns coming through we should be a where of??
Hi TA. The 3 boys you mentioned are quality rugby players, and from what I hear, there’s a couple of 16’s players from this year that are pretty well regarded. The 12 & 13 from this years 16a’s I think have a huge shot at the white jersey next year. The 9 & 10 are both gen blue players and both played 1st xv this year. We have 3 or 4 handy wingers to pick from and with Tucker at 15 the backline looks dangerous.

Jack and Romeo are certainties, and there’s probably 2 boys battling it out for the last front row spot. Lachie Reeve will no doubt fill one of the 2nd rower spots having played 3 or 4 games in the 1’s this year. The other 2nd row spot is up for grabs. As is the 6 spot.....7 & 8 both from this years 1sts are year 11 boys, so it would seem that they are certainties also. There is a 16a’s back rower who is pretty impressive, so he may fill that 6 spot.

All in all mate, it will be a competitive team. Can’t wait for the action to begin.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi TA. The 3 boys you mentioned are quality rugby players, and from what I hear, there’s a couple of 16’s players from this year that are pretty well regarded. The 12 & 13 from this years 16a’s I think have a huge shot at the white jersey next year. The 9 & 10 are both gen blue players and both played 1st xv this year. We have 3 or 4 handy wingers to pick from and with Tucker at 15 the backline looks dangerous.

Jack and Romeo are certainties, and there’s probably 2 boys battling it out for the last front row spot. Lachie Reeve will no doubt fill one of the 2nd rower spots having played 3 or 4 games in the 1’s this year. The other 2nd row spot is up for grabs. As is the 6 spot...7 & 8 both from this years 1sts are year 11 boys, so it would seem that they are certainties also. There is a 16a’s back rower who is pretty impressive, so he may fill that 6 spot.

All in all mate, it will be a competitive team. Can’t wait for the action to begin.

Agree Axe, to me, the Knox team is very strong and will take some beating.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Goosie, please don't forget about Darcy Benefield (2nd XV Openside Flanker) excellent over the ball and great runner, gave Cranners and Knox a good battle in the breakdown. I think no.6 will be a fight but I have Benefield winning.

Regards,
ILR

Always fun to sit in the selectors chair!
I think there are lots of possibles from the 2020 2nds who will make the cut ahead of some of the 2021 Y11s in this line up!
Also think the back row needs more impact. Ned Slack-Smith is a certainty when fit again, but Tom Livingstone, who is a great 7 isn't a big enough unit for 6, same probably goes for Darcy Benefield on both counts!
Time will tell, lets hope we get a COVID free season

Iloverucks1

Stan Wickham (3)

Jack and Romeo are certainties, and there’s probably 2 boys battling it out for the last front row spot. Lachie Reeve will no doubt fill one of the 2nd rower spots having played 3 or 4 games in the 1’s this year. The other 2nd row spot is up for grabs. As is the 6 spot...7 & 8 both from this years 1sts are year 11 boys, so it would seem that they are certainties also. There is a 16a’s back rower who is pretty impressive, so he may fill that 6 spot.

Not too sure about Lachie Reeve, seeing the young man suit up for the 3rd XV this year makes me think its less of a certainty.

SkyBlue

Banned
Evening.

It is becoming increasingly evident that the the likes of Barker, Waverley and possibly even Knox are increasingly closing the gap and are now able to match it with the GPS schools (especially Waverley and Barker). Furthermore, Shore are descending further into the abyss and are becoming closer and closer to that of Grammar and Sydney Boys. It is quite clear that these competitions need to be merged in the best interest of rugby.

I see a tier 1 division made up of:
- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

A tier 2 division made up of:
- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc...

I would imagine there would also be a relegation system in place. This would definitely make for a much more exciting rugby schoolboy competition, would be safer for some of those less rugby driven schools and would probably best stimulate the development of our juniors meaning hopefully a stronger Wallabies team etc.

Thoughts?

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Evening.

I would imagine there would also be a relegation system in place. This would definitely make for a much more exciting rugby schoolboy competition, would be safer for some of those less rugby driven schools and would probably best stimulate the development of our juniors meaning hopefully a stronger Wallabies team etc.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure that a relegation system would actually be a positive. The increase in risk/reward would undoubtedly create a greater drive amongst boys to win and would result in more exciting rugby, yet I fear that this increase in risk/reward would actually further the current practices of 'imports'. As schools don't want to go down a tier, they will prioritise winning (even more so than it is done now) and import more prodigious talents. This will ultimately increase the gap between schools and promote anti-competitive practices, such as exhibited by Barker with the earpiece fiasco. As much as winning is important, fun & enjoyment must maintain a feature of schoolboy rugby.

SkyBlue

Banned
I'm not sure that a relegation system would actually be a positive. The increase in risk/reward would undoubtedly create a greater drive amongst boys to win and would result in more exciting rugby, yet I fear that this increase in risk/reward would actually further the current practices of 'imports'. As schools don't want to go down a tier, they will prioritise winning (even more so than it is done now) and import more prodigious talents. This will ultimately increase the gap between schools and promote anti-competitive practices, such as exhibited by Barker with the earpiece fiasco. As much as winning is important, fun & enjoyment must maintain a feature of schoolboy rugby.

This is a really good point, haven't thought of it like that before. It could very much make importing an already bigger issue than it already is. However, the "ear piece fiasco" is not at all true. There was no ear pieces, no contact from coaches to players, it was largely blown out of proportion.