• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

MagicMike

Stan Wickham (3)
Some interesting selections in both teams, not bad, just interesting. I think the CAS forwards will prove too strong for their GPS counterparts meaning the scrums at least will favour the team in red. The GPS forwards have plenty of mongrel, so the breakdown will be interesting - I am going to say it will be pretty even there although I know Charlie Herdman is great over the ball. Lineouts to CAS too, the Waverley row too tall. Whilst Sam Alsop is a great player, I think Ned SS will be too powerful for him to contain all day.

In the backs, GPS certainly have some talent there and will be a great matchup. I am looking forward to seeing the centre pairings compete. Luke Tucker a great open play ball runner, and Isaiah should be able to get him into space with his long cut out passes.

Once the reserves come on, it will heat up again. Bowen is Isaiah's equivalent I think, and Riley Hemsworth's speed may open up the game at the end. Mind you some of the CAS 2nds are also game changers, Jack Black is an extremely powerful runner and Theo Kidd has a great turn of speed.

It will be a cracker, as the 2nds game will be too. I am looking forward to watching.
Jack Black ran out of steam in the 2nds….not a good track for the unit

Des Hasler

Frank Row (1)
Gents, seems like a continual trend - Barker bending the rules for their own favour. First with the headgear / mic incident (2019) and now this... The primary role of the school should be to promote the safety and wellbeing of their players however this seems to have been compromised for their own sporting ambitions. Time to take off your red glasses @RodSkellet, the jury is out. Perhaps a royal commission? This behaviour can go on no longer! Thank god Rugby Au has gotten their teeth into this, would hate for the slack-smith boy to suffer long term head issues due to the negligence of his school.

On a more positive note, this game is shaping up to be a cracker! :D

Dessy

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
I couldn't disagree more. For three reasons: first, a dominant scrum can win tight heads, and secondly, even with pushing to 1.5m you can seriously disrupt the quality of possession the team with the loose head obtains. There's an enormous difference between clean ball from a channel of your choice and messy ball squirting out the side of a splintering scrum. You can attack with one, whilst the other has you scrambling to regroup. Thirdly, of course, a dominant scrum tends to win penalties.

Mind you, I played at Sydney University in the 1980s, where the scrum was a religion. I remember one night at scrum training (1sts v 2nds), the scrum kept moving a foot sideways and no-one could figure out why. By the time we packed the last scrum of the night there were about twenty scrum doctors looking at it trying to work out what was happening. We always knew we gave away size and weight to the other sides we played, so technique was everything.

That second half CAS penalty where they opted for the scrum, 5m out from the GPS line, when the score was 5-12, that resulted in a GPS tight head, would be exhibit A to this comment.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, GPS deserved it: they ran harder and straighter and with great determination, and they defended well. My man of the match, by a mile, was the GPS 15, who I guess was Jorgensen - what a game he played.

We'll never know what would have happened if the try had been given to King (it looked fair to me), but that's life. CAS just didn't make the most of their chances, and the GPS forwards never let them get on top.

Serious question: if King was playing 8, why wasn't Slack-Smith there?

aussiefooty

Bob McCowan (2)
Well, GPS deserved it: they ran harder and straighter and with great determination, and they defended well. My man of the match, by a mile, was the GPS 15, who I guess was Jorgensen - what a game he played.

We'll never know what would have happened if the try had been given to King (it looked fair to me), but that's life. CAS just didn't make the most of their chances, and the GPS forwards never let them get on top.

I think you can guess why Slack - Smith wasn't there. Some sook on the GPS thread took up a complaint with the ARU regarding his blue card which he was medically cleared from.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Not a good look from the CAS student contingent with their relentless personal attacks on the GPS1 and GPS2 players. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth after a great night of footy.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
I think you can guess why Slack - Smith wasn't there. Some sook on the GPS thread took up a complaint with the ARU regarding his blue card which he was medically cleared from.

Not sure that posters on a G&G forum talking about schoolboy footy have as much influence in the game as you seem to believe...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Yep couldn't agree more Snort, GPS deserved to win.

They took their chances, handled the wet better, and played better wet weather footy.
CAS bombed several tries and I think the wet weather actually stuffed our forwards running game.

I made a point when this team got picked that a number of selections were poor.
It's not the boys fault, the selectors need the bullet.
Our scrum was disgraceful early, we lost 4 tight heads, it was supposed to be the other way around, but we didn't pick either of the 2 best set piece front rows, thus was the result, and it appeared to take us a lot of time to get our mojo back.

The GPS 15, Yes Jorgensen was superb, boy what a player.

Unfortunately IMO the weather destroyed this game for both sides, not sure why we can't play it on a Sat afternoon rather than at night, like it used to be, a la this Sat as there is nothing on but school is still in.

Congrats to the GPS.