• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed Axe. CAS 2 v CCC was OK, but the current game is shite. Yes it was only $4 to view today but it should be better than this.

Seems to be sorted now......i paid for the season long membership. $80 or something.............pretty good value for all the footy we get to watch.
PS WTF......................did you see who is playing number 5 for Sydney?

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
HT: 12-5 to CAS
CAS haven’t touched the ball since 10th minute. Interesting game, CHS backlines especially looking dangerous with ball in hand

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting, that no one has commented on the NSW squads.
https://www.nswjuniors.com.au/rep

I have two initial comments:
- Halaholo being select at 6 is his future position moving forward. A tad short of an international lock IMHO. He will kill it as a blindside breakaway.
- Knox's over representation. As Fitzy says, incoming ;-)

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting, that no one has commented on the NSW squads.
https://www.nswjuniors.com.au/rep

I have two initial comments:
- Halaholo being select at 6 is his future position moving forward. A tad short of an international lock IMHO. He will kill it as a blindside breakaway.
- Knox's over representation. As Fitzy says, incoming ;-)

Over representation.........................there's 6 Knox boys been picked out of 84 spots available. I think thats probably fair enough, and each boy selected did well on Friday.
As for the young fella being picked at 6, IMHO he's done very well to make Gen Blue 1. His big mate Fritz has had much better running games than him, and his work over the ball is sub par. Your already suggesting he's a future international. So if you want to bag another school for getting too many selections ZHC....................theres one for Waverley right there.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Over representation.........there's 6 Knox boys been picked out of 84 spots available. I think thats probably fair enough, and each boy selected did well on Friday.
As for the young fella being picked at 6, IMHO he's done very well to make Gen Blue 1. His big mate Fritz has had much better running games than him, and his work over the ball is sub par. Your already suggesting he's a future international. So if you want to bag another school for getting too many selections ZHC........theres one for Waverley right there.

Axe and ZHC, Here's are some thoughts.

Since the beginning of time some team selections have been and will remain political going forward.
Everyone will probably have a view on some positions. Clearly it has nothing to do with the boys, it's the selectors who make these calls. Clearly they got the CAS front row wrong v GPS, so what did they do for the next game, dropped the hooker, joke.
That's just 1 example there are many others covering many schools.

My biggest issue is with the timing of these rep events. I noticed on Thursday some notable injuries that will/may stop those boys playing out the rest of the school rugby comp. A comp that I would think is the priority for the vast majority of boys, with rep selections being nice but not as important as winning the school comp given all the preseason training and development through all the age groups.

Not that long ago these rep games were played after the school season, thereby not affecting the MOST important comp, that way everyone enjoyed the best of both worlds, no longer. That process also allowed every boy the chance to show his ability against his school opposites. No longer. This logic should also apply for other states, so they are all in step.

I guess all that should be ignored, because it's logical.
What a real shame.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, we know that the NSW selectors don't see eye-to-eye with the CAS selectors!

Interesting to see White in NSW 1sts. I like him, he's a handy player, but no one on this forum even expected him to make CAS 1sts. So, well done to him.

OK, on a completely different point. I'm trying to put together a set of complete CAS (competition) 1st XV records, just because I think it should exist. And I haven't done badly, but I've stumbled in the last ten years, when the papers more or less stopped publishing full scores. Does anyone have any idea of where this information is kept? For example, if I had the full scoring details for Waverley 69 Knox 31 from 2012, I could tell you whether Will Patterson broke the record for most points in a CAS season, and if I knew the full scores of Barker 95 Aloysius 7 from last year I could tell you whether Mitch Wheals kicked more goals than anyone else has in a CAS game. Any ideas?

Incidentally, the CAS website is weirdly wrong on several points. It has St Aloysius as joint premiers in 1972 (they were fifth). It has Trinity winning in 1964 (they were second to Knox, who won unbeaten). Needs an overhaul!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Actually, I give up: I have no idea whether (say) Gen Blue II is better than Schoolboys I. It's impossible to figure out.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone have any idea of where this information is kept?[/quote.

If all else fails, you could go back through the weekly CAS match reviews published by Lee Grant and more recently myself and others. They should be available by going back through the schools forums pages. Let me know if you want me to provide clearer guidance. I may even be able to extract a bunch of urls for you. Happy to help. With things now all online, online sources like G&GR should help plug the gap.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
If all else fails, you could go back through the weekly CAS match reviews published by Lee Grant and more recently myself and others. They should be available by going back through the schools forums pages. Let me know if you want me to provide clearer guidance. I may even be able to extract a bunch of urls for you. Happy to help. With things now all online, online sources like G&GR should help plug the gap.

Yes, that's what I thought, but I came up with a lot of gaps.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Word across the Sydney metro area is that there's a bloke equipped with a 'Barker Rugby' rain jacket sniffing around club training sessions expressing interest in various loosehead props. Consequently suggesting that DYaz's hand injury will render him unavailable for round 3's D-Day.
Thus, we must now ask - R Barker and their insatiable staff going to recruit another player as part of their premiership campaign (likely to be defined this coming round)?

Honestly - at this point I don't think it would surprise many of us if they did.

I must iterate - the premise of this question is built upon merely a rumour. Nevertheless, a pertinent question given the litany of anticompetitive behaviour exhibited by the Hornsby folk in recent times.

Ps. Forums getting a bit dry init. I know you blokes often have a sook about what is often described as the frivolous input of schoolboys (which i am obviously not) but like its good chat aye.

TBH just missing Barker4Peat & Dionyazdani's uncle #boysinred #praisetoallah #WALKIETALKIEACTION

This standpoint may be frankly controversial and fringed upon by CAS boarders but a quality footy player in Bruton can fit into any XV, particularly Barker 1sts. Well, this may rig the competition because there has been a track record that any XV with Bruton eventuate as undefeated premiers