• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Bluebag

Banned
the biggest problem with the Waratah Shield was the lack of interest from the bigger private schools who focussed on their GPS, CAS, ISA etc comps.

In its nearly 60 year history, only 18 schools have won it and half of them only one each. It came to be dominated by St Eddies in Canberra in the 20 years from 1984 until they were kicked out after they won it for the 14th time in 2004. St Eddies were convinced they were being punished for being too good (which for the Waratah Shield, they were) and in 2005, looking for games, challenged Joeys. They were very confident, some parents reportedly offering Joeys a 25-point start, such was their view of the strength of the Waratah Shield competition.

The rest is history - Joeys smashed them 46-0.

Well that settles the argument. Well, maybe if the 2004 Eddies team got beat 46-0. 2005 was a different team and even Eddies have been known to have weaker years. No saying they would have won the Waratah in 2005 as they weren't offered the chance. Nor were any Canberra schools since then.

If you want to go further back in history Marist Canberra beat Joeys 21-0 in 88' and went on to win the Waratah shield for the first time. That same year Joeys went undefeated in the AAGPS comp. Puts a different perspective on things don't you think?

Rick Dalton

Frank Row (1)
Have noticed 16s Gen Blue & Schoolboys squads are still yet to be released.

Anyone informed as to how the recent upsurge of COVID will affect team announcement and their inter/intra state fixtures.

BR

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Have noticed 16s Gen Blue & Schoolboys squads are still yet to be released.

Anyone informed as to how the recent upsurge of COVID will affect team announcement and their inter/intra state fixtures.

BR

It is understandable with cancellation of the U16 NSW Invitational tournament and the U18 NSW Schools / Sydney Juniors & Barbarian games this weekend.

I’m led to believe an announcement will be made this week to explain the new U16 NSW Pathway for Gen Blue and Nationals currently scheduled for September School holidays.

2row

Frank Row (1)
Further reinforcing his prospective selection as an Australian Schoolboy. Also, delays in the squad's selection due to COIVD allow for the possibility of Bruton making a comeback to join Wood at the highest honour.

Wood although a remarkable player for Aloys and standout within the CAS GPS 2's match would find it hard to climb to the paramount of schoolboy selection. As for Bruton, he can boast a respectable season thus far with an unfortunate injury against Barker jeopardizing his potential CAS selection however a schoolboys selection seems out of reach.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Wood although a remarkable player for Aloys and standout within the CAS GPS 2's match would find it hard to climb to the paramount of schoolboy selection. As for Bruton, he can boast a respectable season thus far with an unfortunate injury against Barker jeopardizing his potential CAS selection however a schoolboys selection seems out of reach.

You are delusional. You have clearly never watched Bruton play. He is definitely an Aus Schoolboy talent. He is positionally the best player in the CAS 1’s, Gen Blue and in Australia. All NRL clubs and Rugby Australia have offered him an 8 figure contract. Big players earning big bucks

Rick Dalton

Frank Row (1)

The ethos of this lively forum is strictly opposed to sarcasm and mockery aimed at players - both of which are manifested in the above post. As expressed by Baxter, Wood & Bruton are both strong Aus Schoolboys prospects (assuming the P word doesn't come out to play) - this goes without saying. Please concentrate your condescending input towards more pressing matters such as ways to accelerate Bruton's recovery and thus save Aus SclBy footy.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well that sucks.

Hard to see Round 3 being played on 17 July.

On the other hand, if it gets changed and becomes the last round, it could be a suitable climax to the competition.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Well that sucks.

Hard to see Round 3 being played on 17 July.

On the other hand, if it gets changed and becomes the last round, it could be a suitable climax to the competition.

Agree Snort, had exactly the same thought.

Selfishly if the next planned round became the last it could end up being a blockbuster.
Incidentally, I would have imagined it would absolutely suit both Barker and Waves given they have some injured players who should be right by then. Having said that, someone might beat either prior.

Can't imagine July 17 will happen as no one would have been able to practice next week.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Well that settles the argument. Well, maybe if the 2004 Eddies team got beat 46-0. 2005 was a different team and even Eddies have been known to have weaker years. No saying they would have won the Waratah in 2005 as they weren't offered the chance. Nor were any Canberra schools since then.

If you want to go further back in history Marist Canberra beat Joeys 21-0 in 88' and went on to win the Waratah shield for the first time. That same year Joeys went undefeated in the AAGPS comp. Puts a different perspective on things don't you think?

Truthfully, the hardest game in the Waratah Shield for many years was the ACT regional final (Usually Eddies v Marist), after that the ACT sides usually won their remaining matches easily as Eddies record shows. Eddies still love to boast about their record in the Waratah Shield as if it made them the "best side in NSW" but the fact is the ASC comp which existed in those days was harder for them to win that the WS and most of the top GPS or CAS sides in those years probably would have beaten them (or Marist). The true test was to play those sides and defeat them, it did occur from time to time but not often.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Can somebody please bring me up to speed with if or how an Aust. Schools side is being selected this year? Is there still a state champs being played?

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Can somebody please bring me up to speed with if or how an Aust. Schools side is being selected this year? Is there still a state champs being played?

Nah. One thing I can say for sure. Charlie Bruton is locked in for Aus Schoolboy position #12. When I say I have never seen a player this level this good. I mean it. He is ranked number 1 schoolboy rugby player in australia and the world. At only 5’9 he is a carbon copy of Sonny Bill Williams and Katy Perry.

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
I am sure the australian rugby community would greatly benefit with insights into Bruton’s work ethic. I have heard Waverley and Barker have invited Charlie Bruton for a presentation/Q&A because he is good. Does anyone know how to get these exclusive tickets?

Baxter

Peter Burge (5)
Ensuing this COVID break Bruton will be back. He is the reason why Aloys will win their remaining games. He is the reason why Aloys will win the prem. A wonderful sight for union as Katao will most likely be dispatched to his #10 position in gen blue 2. Obviously, bruton back at #12 for gen blue 1 in his 3rd consecutive year.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I imagine it’ll be like every other year.

They’ll carefully study hours of video and form and statistics..

then pick 60% GPS, 30% CAS, 9% ‘other’, plus a token lad from CHS to make it look like there’s a process.
;)