• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Not looking promising for the rest of the season, feel so sorry for all of the boys

Flav and Grimey,

I believe the CAS Heads are due to meet about this when possible.
You would like to think that the priority, v other non winter sports, will be higher to finish the comp given only 3 games left.
It may also happen that the soccer and AFL are on the same page, which may help us all.

If Athletics is the reason I would think that not many Rugby boys would also do Aths, yes maybe a few, but does that mean 2 or 3 get to compete for their schools again, and the vast majority of winter sports boys are told it's all over.

I have faith that the CAS Heads will way all this up and reach this logical conclusion (in my mind).
If it takes to the end of August to finish, so what!

It might also be possible to run the Rugby and Athletics at the same time for just 3 weeks, grounds permitting.
I also suspect many parents, who are also emotionally involved here and have spent a long time supporting all this, will want to ensure it gets completed. I feel confident that the boys and coaches do!

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know this is not exactly elucidating as to the future at this point, but the Aloys sportsmaster posted a link to a letter from the CAS Chair yesterday, below:

Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Due to the current Government restrictions and advice, all CAS 2021 winter sport competitions and fixtures are currently suspended.
The CAS will work within NSW Government and Health guidelines in preparation for the re-commencement of sporting fixtures when it is deemed safe and appropriate to do so.
The CAS acknowledges that advice and the current situation have changed, and will continue to change, rapidly.
As the situation evolves, the CAS will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves and will act accordingly throughout the remainder of 2021. We will communicate developments as soon as we are in a position to do so.
Chair of CAS General Committee

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
still looking for those names?

And just to clarify: not only was Barker's 97 the highest team score ever recorded in the history of the competition, but I suspect Mitch Wheals may also have broken the record for the most individual points in a match.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Qld start their GPS Rugby season this Saturday 17 July.
All spectators are to check in, wear mask and social distance 1.5m apart.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
I imagine it’ll be like every other year.

They’ll carefully study hours of video and form and statistics..

then pick 60% GPS, 30% CAS, 9% ‘other’, plus a token lad from CHS to make it look like there’s a process.
;)

The selections bias is no secret (only 60% GPS), I meant more the format of the tournament if indeed there will be one?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Knox old boy Swinton having a really solid game tonight. Bending the line with his carries and a couple of solid lineout wins

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK, so someone at Barker came through with the 2020 scores, which is really helpful. Confirms my suspicion that Mitch Wheals may have set a new CAS record: he scored 30 points (two tries, 10 goals) against St Aloysius, which is the most by an individual in a match that I have found so far. I should qualify this by saying that I have about ten years to go, and those years include Ryan Cross who, I suspect, set all sorts of records. Anyway, two players (one from Trinity, one from Cranbrook) scored 29 points in a match, and I'll fall off my chair if anyone can name both of them.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
OK, so someone at Barker came through with the 2020 scores, which is really helpful.

Confirms my suspicion that Mitch Wheals may have set a new CAS record: he scored 30 points (two tries, 10 goals) against St Aloysius, which is the most by an individual in a match that I have found so far. I should qualify this by saying that I have about ten years to go, and those years include Ryan Cross who, I suspect, set all sorts of records. Anyway, two players (one from Trinity, one from Cranbrook) scored 29 points in a match, and I'll fall off my chair if anyone can name both of them.
Snort I am guessing, and can't confirm sorry, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were Tane Edmed, Trinity, and Grant Lodge, Cranbrook.
Maybe some old boys from these schools could help.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort I am guessing, and can't confirm sorry, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were Tane Edmed, Trinity, and Grant Lodge, Cranbrook.
Maybe some old boys from these schools could help.

WLF, well done - nailed Grant Lodge. The other was a Trinity winger named Graham Rolleston back in 1961. Lodge and Rolleston each scored four tries, so if you adjusted their efforts for contemporary scoring, Rolleston would have scored 37 points and Lodge 33. Unfortunately St Aloysius was on the receiving end on each occasion.

I'll finish these records once lockdown ends and I can get to the State library. The years I'm missing include Ryan Cross' time in the Waverley 1st XV, and from memory he scored enormous numbers of tries, so I expect there are a few records lurking there.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, well done - nailed Grant Lodge. The other was a Trinity winger named Graham Rolleston back in 1961. Lodge and Rolleston each scored four tries, so if you adjusted their efforts for contemporary scoring, Rolleston would have scored 37 points and Lodge 33. Unfortunately St Aloysius was on the receiving end on each occasion.

I'll finish these records once lockdown ends and I can get to the State library. The years I'm missing include Ryan Cross' time in the Waverley 1st XV, and from memory he scored enormous numbers of tries, so I expect there are a few records lurking there.

Snort, how funny, Grant is a mate of mine, it was a guess but he was a terrific player.
I have asked my footy contacts at Waverley the question about Ryan.
Will let you know, cheers!
P.S.Ryan could also play a bit, a long with cricket.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, how funny, Grant is a mate of mine, it was a guess but he was a terrific player.
I have asked my footy contacts at Waverley the question about Ryan.
Will let you know, cheers!
P.S.Ryan could also play a bit, a long with cricket.

I remember talking to the Trinity coach in the week they played Waverley in about 1997. He told me that he'd been working all week on a plan to contain Ryan Cross. Well, on the Saturday Cross ran in four tries, and when I next saw the coach, I said, "Shame about the plan". "What do you mean?" he said, "it worked perfectly." He figured that no matter what his team did, Cross was going to score four times.

The same year, I saw him bat for CAS against GPS at Shore. He only made 20 or so, but he nailed one pull shot that went for six and never rose more than about eight feet off the ground. He obviously could have done well at almost any sport.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
CAS winter sport has been cancelled. I suppose no surprise considering the current state of play in NSW. Very sad for all teams.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Fellow posters,

Thanks for some good reads throughout the season.
Clearly a massive shame for all the boys, coaches and families.

Wishing all the year 12 boys the best of luck in their studies, and future footy years.
Stay safe everyone.

WLF signing off for 2021.

P.S. I have a younger boy currently in year 10, so will be back to haunt all concerned next year!

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Its been a fun few years boys on this site.....good luck to all the boys in the next few months and see you guys round the colts games next year.