• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

InterestedBystander

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would like to point out some obvious flaws in the opposition’s case.
SCEGGS finish equal highest girls school on 4 wins but with highest win margin of 8. SCEGGS win ISDA B last year with same team going into Archdale. Abbotsleigh 3 wins ISDA but have won ISDA 3 times for this age group- again same team for Archdale. That is why I’m proud to negate.
Let’s add some more facts: 5 girls schools had 4 wins.
If including margins in the rankings: 9 girls schools with three or more (4) wins ‘beat’ Abbottsleigh who had a negative margin.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance: cf Abbottsleigh in ISDA, if it is indeed true that the very same team won ISDA 3 times in the past (how many years have they been together?)

canelo

Frank Row (1)
Archdale R3 topic: That we oppose sports media coverage of female athletes that focuses on their physical appearance or personal lives rather than their athletic achievements

We have reached the end of the ISDA season, with another dominating performance from Sydney Grammar in the final. In what was reported to be a unanimous decision, Grammar beat Aloys in a close but clear debate and have managed to take home the Senior A ISDA competition for a third straight year. The results (I believe) are as follows:
Year 7 - Riverview win
Year 8 - Trinity win
Year 9 - Sydney Grammar win
Year 10 - Ascham win
Senior B - Riverview win
Senior A - Sydney Grammar win

B

BobJones

Anyone know the squads/lineups for each schools GPS teams? What speakers do we keep an eye on?

Debating4life

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know the squads/lineups for each schools GPS teams? What speakers do we keep an eye on?

After Grammar’s unanimous victory in the ISDA grand finals against Aloys, I think their members should be well positioned to head up the GPS team along with some Joeys and Riverview debaters.

I haven’t sought out the members of the joeys and Riverview teams so if someone who knows them could provide them below that would be great.

the winning Grammar team consists of Kasra Roushan, Remy Sloan, Will Ellis and Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz.

B

BobJones

After Grammar’s unanimous victory in the ISDA grand finals against Aloys, I think their members should be well positioned to head up the GPS team along with some Joeys and Riverview debaters.

I haven’t sought out the members of the joeys and Riverview teams so if someone who knows them could provide them below that would be great.

the winning Grammar team consists of Kasra Roushan, Remy Sloan, Will Ellis and Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz.
Yes I expect GPS rep team to be 2x Grammar 1x Joeys 1x Riverview

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congrats to Grammar on another ISDA win. Can anyone confirm the topic, heard it was something like tws urbanise indigenous australians vs investing in remote communities ? also, who was aff and neg last night ?

Congrats to Grammar on another ISDA win. Can anyone confirm the topic, heard it was something like tws urbanise indigenous australians vs investing in remote communities ? also, who was aff and neg last night ?
I believe that the topic was that "We prefer a world where we subsidise the moving costs for First Nations people to urban areas, instead of investing in infrastructure in First Nations Communities", and according to the unofficial ISDA table, Aloys were Aff and Grammar were Neg.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)

Congratulations to Grammar and Aloys on making it that far. Big achievement.

As for the GPS team, I think there is a cap on how many members are allowed from each school so we should see a fairly even split.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe that the topic was that "We prefer a world where we subsidise the moving costs for First Nations people to urban areas, instead of investing in infrastructure in First Nations Communities", and according to the unofficial ISDA table, Aloys were Aff and Grammar were Neg.
Yikes ! Glad Grammar were Neg on that one. Fully cooked motion.

Debating4life

Bob McCowan (2)
Tough topic for Aloys
Interesting that they did not veto it. The other motions, from what I've heard, were quite aff weighted.

I wish that the sportsmanship, commentary, and method of supporting teams in ISDA debating, especially for those who are not even in high school, would improve. They're just kids, and they most likely read this forum and don't deserve to go into their debates with the kind of negative commentary so prevalent on this forum. Some members of Senior A teams are as young as 16.

Last edited:

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Can someone share the 3 topics from last night as I agree the topic is an obvious veto ?
Interesting that they did not veto it. The other motions, from what I've heard, were quite aff weighted.

Proves that doing topic selection well is an integral part of debating; Aloys failure to do it well is not an excuse
That we prefer a world where we subsidise the moving costs for First Nations people to urban areas, instead of investing in infrastructure in First Nations Communities

That we oppose Australian media outlets revealing war crimes committed by members of the Australian Defence Force

That religious organisations should focus on progressive worship instead of adhering to long standing traditions

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
That we prefer a world where we subsidise the moving costs for First Nations people to urban areas, instead of investing in infrastructure in First Nations Communities

That we oppose Australian media outlets revealing war crimes committed by members of the Australian Defence Force

That religious organisations should focus on progressive worship instead of adhering to long standing traditions
Thanks for this. Now it’s obv why Alos didn’t veto the indigenous topic. Second motion could be even more neg weighted than the first ! Assume grammar vetoed the third.

AffReply

Frank Row (1)
Thanks for this. Now it’s obv why Alos didn’t veto the indigenous topic. Second motion could be even more neg weighted than the first ! Assume grammar vetoed the third.
From what I heard, grammar did indeed veto the third, aloys vetoed the second. the neg won both debates in the senior a and b on the first nations and media topics respectively, aloys and kambala both look like they were given a rough night of it.

Proves that doing topic selection well is an integral part of debating; Aloys failure to do it well is not an excuse, for the many in this forum who seem to be Aloys diehards after their badgering of Grammar team over the course of the finals, even after they were proven wrong in their predictions by a unanimous decision.
out of interest, who exactly was saying this? seems a pretty big claim to make given the results across seniors and what the topics actually were. i would sincerely hope there arent grammar diehards at it again.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
who approves the topics for a grand final out of interest ?

Be interested in any comments from anyone who attended last night, was it a high quality debate, was it close etc