• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

ImportsRuinGPS

Frank Row (1)
Anyone have any info on Shore’s promising young speaker Max ‘Munch’ McAlpine? His manner and stage presence certainly make him a threat for GPS 1sts, but his sheer handsomeness may prove too distracting for the Shore selectors (I believe something similar happened with State speaker Michael Kwak in ISDA). Any insight would be greatly appreciated, cheers,

The 5th Speaker

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
If anyone has the CAS and GPS schedule or tab site may you please send it through?
The GPS draw hasn't changed for a number of years and reportedly won't this year

1​
28/7​
High v Newington​
Grammar v Kings​
Riverview v Scots​
Joeys v Shore​
2​
4/8​
Scots v Newington​
Joeys v Grammar​
Kings v High​
Riverview v Shore​
3​
11/8​
Newington v Joeys​
Scots v High​
Kings v Riverview​
Shore v Grammar​
4​
18/8​
Newington v Riverview​
Grammar v Scots​
Joeys v High​
Shore v Kings​
5​
25/8​
Grammar v Newington​
High v Riverview​
Kings v Joeys​
Scots v Shore​
6​
1/9​
Kings v Newington​
Grammar v Riverview​
Joeys v Scots​
Shore v High​
7​
8/9​
Newington v Shore​
High v Grammar​
Riverview v Joeys​
Scots v Kings​

Last edited:
B

BobJones

The GPS draw hasn't changed for a number of years and reportedly won't this year
1​
28/7​
High v Newington​
Grammar v Kings​
Riverview v Scots​
Joeys v Shore​
2​
4/8​
Scots v Newington​
Joeys v Grammar​
Kings v High​
Riverview v Shore​
3​
11/8​
Newington v Joeys​
Scots v High​
Kings v Riverview​
Shore v Grammar​
4​
18/8​
Newington v Riverview​
Grammar v Scots​
Joeys v High​
Shore v Kings​
5​
25/8​
Grammar v Newington​
High v Riverview​
Kings v Joeys​
Scots v Shore​
6​
1/9​
Kings v Newington​
Grammar v Riverview​
Joeys v Scots​
Shore v High​
7​
8/9​
Newington v Shore​
High v Grammar​
Riverview v Joeys​
Scots v Kings​
Predictions for Round 1 GPS? Also tips as to what rounds/matchups are going to be impactful?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)

1​
28/7​
High v Newington​
Grammar v Kings​
Riverview v Scots​
Joeys v Shore​
2​
4/8​
Scots v Newington​
Joeys v Grammar​
Kings v High​
Riverview v Shore​
3​
11/8​
Newington v Joeys​
Scots v High​
Kings v Riverview​
Shore v Grammar​
4​
18/8​
Newington v Riverview​
Grammar v Scots​
Joeys v High​
Shore v Kings​
5​
25/8​
Grammar v Newington​
High v Riverview​
Kings v Joeys​
Scots v Shore​
6​
1/9​
Kings v Newington​
Grammar v Riverview​
Joeys v Scots​
Shore v High​
7​
8/9​
Newington v Shore​
High v Grammar​
Riverview v Joeys​
Scots v Kings​
Thank you very much. Are there set topic areas?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
yes there are set topic areas for GPS
they are as follows:

Round 1 - education
Round 2 - ethics
Round 3 - science/society
Round 4 - sport
Round 5 - Australian politics
Round 6 - media culture and entertainment
Round 7 - international issues

Predictions for Round 1 GPS? Also tips as to what rounds/matchups are going to be impactful?
Do we think that topic areas could influence results?

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)

High - clear win. Grammar - clear win. Tossup on Riverview Scots. Joeys - clear win. Grammar, Joeys, High, View and Scots are the only serious contenders IMO, so their debates amongst each other will be the ones to watch.

GPSspectator

Bob McCowan (2)
Do we think that topic areas could influence results?
From previous experience, topic areas don't tend to have a major impact. Rather, it just comes down to strength of teams and whether the topic is slightly biased one way or another. I would be interested though as to people's predictions for the season.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grammar, Joeys, High, View and Scots are the only serious contenders IMO, so their debates amongst each other will be the ones to watch.
Anyone know if Shore are running their State speaker in the firsts for GPS ? Might make things interesting if they are. Not hearing much about High, be interested to see if they’re up there again this year. Very open field I think.

B

BobJones

Anyone know if Shore are running their State speaker in the firsts for GPS ? Might make things interesting if they are. Not hearing much about High, be interested to see if they’re up there again this year. Very open field I think.
Is Shore the only school with a state speaker?

B

BobJones

Scots has a state speaker as well. Other 4 members are CHS and CAS. It’s just that Shore ran their state speaker in the ISDA B team.
Yes, yes, indeed. I wonder if it might exert any influence on this year's GPS results. Historically, the Scotsmen have not performed well, especially in recent years but things may change.

From previous experience, topic areas don't tend to have a major impact. Rather, it just comes down to strength of teams and whether the topic is slightly biased one way or another. I would be interested though as to people's predictions for the season.
I think others have noted that there are five mains teams who have a chance (Grammar, Joeys, High, Scots and Riverview). Personally though, I think only three teams that have good chances (Grammar, Joeys and High). I'll be going through each school in order of what I feel to be their likelihood of winning.

1. Grammar

Grammar are probably my favourites coming into this GPS season due to a few reasons. Winning ISDA obviously shows the strength of their team, with strong individual performances from the three year 12s on the team (Kasra, Remy and Daniel) in the finals helping to secure them the trophy. Historically they have always performed well in the GPS competition and I think, given the success that they saw in ISDA, they should be good to go for GPS. Overall, a very strong team who I'd probably predict two reps from in GPS 1sts.

28% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

2. SBHS

SBHS performed poorly in Eastside but despite that, I think they'll still do well in GPS. Eastside has never been a good indicator for SBHS's performance in GPS (maybe due to its wackier topics under Mikey Xu?) so I don't think much weight should be placed on their results. In PDC however, they've done very well, with their A team reaching the top 4 and defeating James Ruse Year 12 twice (who have Darshanik Aryal on their team) which at least suggests that they have consistency within their team. In terms of standout talent, I only know of Abrar Chowdhury in Year 12 who was in CHS 2nds last year but I've been told that in this year's CHS squad, there are three members from SBHS. This team also defeated Grammar 2nds last year and is historically pretty successful, maybe a member in GPS 2nds? (as the top debaters go to CHS). They should be a competitor in this season.

27% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

3. Joeys

Joeys staged a surprising performance last year, winning both 1sts and 2nds GPS in a field which had exceptionally strong Grammar and SBHS teams. The reason I had them at 3rd is mainly because one, their ISDA performance, while excellent, saw them falling short to an Aloys team who Grammar proceeded to fairly clearly win against (although topic selection obviously played a part) and two, I don't know of any standout talent from this team as opposed to Grammar and High who appear to have some excellent standout speakers. However, DON'T underestimate this team, despite having them at 3rd, I wouldn't be surprised if they won and I think all these three teams have excellent chances in the upcoming comp and I still have them at a 6-1 record.

26% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

4. Scots

Scots are probably the last true contender this season? Perfect group stage (albeit in a relatively easy division) and a State Speaker (Jehiel Pather) are big positives for their team. They did however lose to a Barker team (containing National Reserve Iris Lee) who proceeded to lose to Grammar and I don't know how much their State speaker can take them in GPS. Still a good team who I could see beating one of the three above teams. However, I would be pretty surprised if they won it all (still not out of the picture however). They'll definitely be a good team at the least.

14% chance to win
Predicted Record of 4-3

5. Riverview

Riverview are a good but not great team. They won 6 in a weaker Pool D ISDA, showing consistency at the minimum in being able to beat weaker teams. They lost in a tough quarters matchup with Joeys, probably showing their ceiling. Should still be a good team and upsets I think are possible but I don't expect them to be near title contention.

3% chance to win
Predicted Record of 3-4

6. Shore

Shore went well in a relatively weak Pool A, getting second with 5-2. They also have a state speaker (Michael Kwak) who is somehow in their 2nd grade and honestly, this team has much better chances to win 2nds than 1sts (I mean they made Semis ISDA Senior B). Historically, they've been decent and I think they could beat Riverview, possibly getting into the top half if Scots slide. But like Riverview, I don't see them near title contention.

2% chance to win
Predicted Record of 2-5

7. Kings

So, Kings and Newington are probably both the weakest teams in this comp this year by a fair margin. Both were in Pool C, finishing second last and last respectively and failing to get to the knockouts. Kings won two debates but Newington beat Kings so I honestly have no clue how these two will finish. I'd probably put Kings at 7th due to winning two at least against somewhat stronger schools (MLC and Cranbrook). I don't see either of these teams even pulling off upsets barring the case of wildly imbalanced topics.

<1% chance to win
Predicted Record of 1-6

8. Newington

I don't even think Newington are that bad of a team but GPS is always incredibly stacked and their ISDA division (C) was pretty strong all the way down. For more, see above comments in the Kings section.

<1% chance to win
Predicted Record of 0-7

And that's a wrap on my GPS thoughts. I'll be very interested to see the performances of certain teams and speakers. Some key debates to look out for include Joeys vs Grammar (4/8), Joeys vs High (18/8) and High vs Grammar (8/9). Scots vs Riverview (28/7) in the first week should also be interesting to gauge the strength of those two teams. But I think that's all to discuss, looking forward to the season and wishing all teams the best of luck!

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
This has to be the most exciting rep season in a long while. GPS are stacked with talent - how will they fit everyone in with 2 state speakers likely in the Firsts as well ?
CHS is stacked with talent with half the NSW team + having to fit in SBHS into the firsts ? CAS is stacked with talent with an Australian team reserve and ISDA runners up in Aloys. And IGSA, with SCEGGS and Abbotsleigh I think currently undefeated in Archdale.

What a headache for the selectors let alone the adjudicators. It might come down to team chemistry - and which teams have speakers in their preferred positions etc. I have no idea who will win, maybe IGSA a touch off the pace from the other 3 divisions. Can’t wait though.

B

BobJones

I think others have noted that there are five mains teams who have a chance (Grammar, Joeys, High, Scots and Riverview). Personally though, I think only three teams that have good chances (Grammar, Joeys and High). I'll be going through each school in order of what I feel to be their likelihood of winning.

1. Grammar

Grammar are probably my favourites coming into this GPS season due to a few reasons. Winning ISDA obviously shows the strength of their team, with strong individual performances from the three year 12s on the team (Kasra, Remy and Daniel) in the finals helping to secure them the trophy. Historically they have always performed well in the GPS competition and I think, given the success that they saw in ISDA, they should be good to go for GPS. Overall, a very strong team who I'd probably predict two reps from in GPS 1sts.

28% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

2. SBHS

SBHS performed poorly in Eastside but despite that, I think they'll still do well in GPS. Eastside has never been a good indicator for SBHS's performance in GPS (maybe due to its wackier topics under Mikey Xu?) so I don't think much weight should be placed on their results. In PDC however, they've done very well, with their A team reaching the top 4 and defeating James Ruse Year 12 twice (who have Darshanik Aryal on their team) which at least suggests that they have consistency within their team. In terms of standout talent, I only know of Abrar Chowdhury in Year 12 who was in CHS 2nds last year but I've been told that in this year's CHS squad, there are three members from SBHS. This team also defeated Grammar 2nds last year and is historically pretty successful, maybe a member in GPS 2nds? (as the top debaters go to CHS). They should be a competitor in this season.

27% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

3. Joeys

Joeys staged a surprising performance last year, winning both 1sts and 2nds GPS in a field which had exceptionally strong Grammar and SBHS teams. The reason I had them at 3rd is mainly because one, their ISDA performance, while excellent, saw them falling short to an Aloys team who Grammar proceeded to fairly clearly win against (although topic selection obviously played a part) and two, I don't know of any standout talent from this team as opposed to Grammar and High who appear to have some excellent standout speakers. However, DON'T underestimate this team, despite having them at 3rd, I wouldn't be surprised if they won and I think all these three teams have excellent chances in the upcoming comp and I still have them at a 6-1 record.

26% chance to win
Predicted Record of 6-1

4. Scots

Scots are probably the last true contender this season? Perfect group stage (albeit in a relatively easy division) and a State Speaker (Jehiel Pather) are big positives for their team. They did however lose to a Barker team (containing National Reserve Iris Lee) who proceeded to lose to Grammar and I don't know how much their State speaker can take them in GPS. Still a good team who I could see beating one of the three above teams. However, I would be pretty surprised if they won it all (still not out of the picture however). They'll definitely be a good team at the least.

14% chance to win
Predicted Record of 4-3

5. Riverview

Riverview are a good but not great team. They won 6 in a weaker Pool D ISDA, showing consistency at the minimum in being able to beat weaker teams. They lost in a tough quarters matchup with Joeys, probably showing their ceiling. Should still be a good team and upsets I think are possible but I don't expect them to be near title contention.

3% chance to win
Predicted Record of 3-4

6. Shore

Shore went well in a relatively weak Pool A, getting second with 5-2. They also have a state speaker (Michael Kwak) who is somehow in their 2nd grade and honestly, this team has much better chances to win 2nds than 1sts (I mean they made Semis ISDA Senior B). Historically, they've been decent and I think they could beat Riverview, possibly getting into the top half if Scots slide. But like Riverview, I don't see them near title contention.

2% chance to win
Predicted Record of 2-5

7. Kings

So, Kings and Newington are probably both the weakest teams in this comp this year by a fair margin. Both were in Pool C, finishing second last and last respectively and failing to get to the knockouts. Kings won two debates but Newington beat Kings so I honestly have no clue how these two will finish. I'd probably put Kings at 7th due to winning two at least against somewhat stronger schools (MLC and Cranbrook). I don't see either of these teams even pulling off upsets barring the case of wildly imbalanced topics.

<1% chance to win
Predicted Record of 1-6

8. Newington

I don't even think Newington are that bad of a team but GPS is always incredibly stacked and their ISDA division (C) was pretty strong all the way down. For more, see above comments in the Kings section.

<1% chance to win
Predicted Record of 0-7

And that's a wrap on my GPS thoughts. I'll be very interested to see the performances of certain teams and speakers. Some key debates to look out for include Joeys vs Grammar (4/8), Joeys vs High (18/8) and High vs Grammar (8/9). Scots vs Riverview (28/7) in the first week should also be interesting to gauge the strength of those two teams. But I think that's all to discuss, looking forward to the season and wishing all teams the best of luck!
Perhaps Sydney Boys High School is ranked too high, given they lost to a Scots Eastside team, which went on to win 12 Eastside. Riverview would seem more suitable as 2nd most probable to win. Otherwise, would concur.

B

BobJones

This has to be the most exciting rep season in a long while. GPS are stacked with talent - how will they fit everyone in with 2 state speakers likely in the Firsts as well ?
CHS is stacked with talent with half the NSW team + having to fit in SBHS into the firsts ? CAS is stacked with talent with an Australian team reserve and ISDA runners up in Aloys. And IGSA, with SCEGGS and Abbotsleigh I think currently undefeated in Archdale.

What a headache for the selectors let alone the adjudicators. It might come down to team chemistry - and which teams have speakers in their preferred positions etc. I have no idea who will win, maybe IGSA a touch off the pace from the other 3 divisions. Can’t wait though.
I suspect state speakers might have to make way for Grammar and maybe even Riverview speakers on the GPS Rep 1sts team.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
I suspect state speakers might have to make way for Grammar and maybe even Riverview speakers on the GPS Rep 1sts team.
This is an interesting conundrum. We know that View had a GPS seconds speaker last year - the only year 11 in GPS 1st or 2nds ? Grammar no doubt would have contenders for spots as would probably Joeys. Hard to go against state selection though….. Maybe they will pick the best First, Second and Third speakers respectively rather than necessarily the ‘best’ speakers eg no point in picking 3 second speakers in your team make up.

B

BobJones

This is an interesting conundrum. We know that View had a GPS seconds speaker last year - the only year 11 in GPS 1st or 2nds ? Grammar no doubt would have contenders for spots as would probably Joeys. Hard to go against state selection though….. Maybe they will pick the best First, Second and Third speakers respectively rather than necessarily the ‘best’ speakers eg no point in picking 3 second speakers in your team make up.

It seems probable that GPS would seek to select the best overall lineup rather than just the four best speakers. The Shore State Speaker appears to speak first, so I expect him to be a lock. However, the Scotts Speaker appears to speak second, which will bring a lot more competition, especially from Riverview and Grammar. Therefore, I would not be surprised if there are State Speakers in the 2s for GPS, which could allow them to go three for three there. Regardless, there is a surplus of great and highly talented speakers in all divisions (so every speaker should be proud nonetheless), making selections truly a nightmare. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator: