• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

fact checker

Frank Nicholson (4)
The GPS Representatives Squad has been unveiled, as is customary, following the completion of Round 4. In a surprising turn of events, both the Shore and Scots State Speakers will be absent from this year's representatives season. However I still would expect the GPS team to be strong with Grammar speakers.
Really? Unsubstantiated claims are quite useless here...

Gears

Frank Row (1)
The GPS Representatives Squad has been unveiled, as is customary, following the completion of Round 4. In a surprising turn of events, both the Shore and Scots State Speakers will be absent from this year's representatives season. However I still would expect the GPS team to be strong with Grammar speakers.
And then your alarm went off to wake you up.

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
Never ever write off Sydney Grammar.
I think it’s unlikely that Newington beat Shore. So High need to beat Shore for Grammar to be able to coprem. In a world where High beat Shore I think it’s unlikely they lose to Grammar. De minimis that Grammar can pull it off.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
for grammar to win they need Sbhs to beat shore and Scotts or view to beat Joey's and for grammar to win the next 2 debates
That’s right. I’m not saying it’s a certainty but these results could certainly happen. I expect Grammar to win the next 2. Could be a number of teams on 5-2.

GAS

Bob McCowan (2)
The showdown between the two GPS State Speakers ended in an unexpected upset, leading to a victory for Scots. This keeps Joeys' premiership hopes alive, and a likely win against Scots in their next match would secure the title for them. Meanwhile, the upcoming debate between Sydney Boys and Shore is a must-watch. If Shore loses, the premiership could either go to Joeys or potentially result in a four-way tie for the title, which would be a first.

Last edited:

Asdyjftj

Frank Nicholson (4)
That’s right. I’m not saying it’s a certainty but these results could certainly happen. I expect Grammar to win the next 2. Could be a number of teams on 5-2.
True. Its technically possible that Shore, Joeys, High, Scots and Grammar could prem in a either a 6, 4, 3 or 2 way tie or outright. View could theoretically co-prem in a 6 way tie. But out of all the schools with a realistic shot Grammar is in the worst position.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
And then your alarm went off to wake you up.
I'm not sure why there's so much doubt about this information. The Representatives' season starts in two weeks, and GPS has already selected teams and initiated training sessions.

The first team consists of two members from Grammar, one from Joeys, and one from Riverview.

The second team is comprised of one member each from Joeys, SBHS, Newington, and Kings.

State Speakers were not selected due to scheduling conflicts. I believe around graduation and Year 11 Preliminary Exams.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not sure why there's so much doubt about this information. The Representatives' season starts in two weeks, and GPS has already selected teams and initiated training sessions.

The first team consists of two members from Grammar, one from Joeys, and one from Riverview.

The second team is comprised of one member each from Joeys, SBHS, Newington, and Kings.

State Speakers were not selected due to scheduling conflicts. I believe around graduation and Year 11 Preliminary Exams.
If you have this knowledge then why not release the teams? I think it is slightly implausible that Scots and more importantly Shore who are leading the comp have no one in these rep teams but Newington and Kings do.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought last night's topic was well-balanced and had good scope for a range of different arguments. It would have made for some very interesting debates.

Motion: That, as the Victorian Liberal Party, we would call for a vote of no confidence in Dan Andrews.

Info Slide: Victoria bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games in 2022, in regional Victorian centres. However, in July of this year Daniel Andrews announced that Victoria would not host the games due to fears that they would exceed initial costs. The documents alleged that the cost of hosting the games in regional centres had gone from 2.5bn in 2022 to 7bn in 2023. He refused suggestions to host the games in Melbourne instead.

Keen to hear thoughts on the topic and good job to all teams that won!

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thought last night's topic was well-balanced and had good scope for a range of different arguments. It would have made for some very interesting debates.

Motion: That, as the Victorian Liberal Party, we would call for a vote of no confidence in Dan Andrews.

Info Slide: Victoria bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games in 2022, in regional Victorian centres. However, in July of this year Daniel Andrews announced that Victoria would not host the games due to fears that they would exceed initial costs. The documents alleged that the cost of hosting the games in regional centres had gone from 2.5bn in 2022 to 7bn in 2023. He refused suggestions to host the games in Melbourne instead.

Keen to hear thoughts on the topic and good job to all teams that won!
Excellent motion giving teams on both sides of the topic opportunity to argue innovative cases. GPS topics have been brilliant all year, CAS well, have been run of the mill boring in comparison.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
If you have this knowledge then why not release the teams? I think it is slightly implausible that Scots and more importantly Shore who are leading the comp have no one in these rep teams but Newington and Kings do.
I respectfully disagree with the idea of posting the names of high school students on this forum without their consent.

BJones

Bob McCowan (2)
can you disclose it via speaker position ie: kings 1st, Newington 2nd, shore 3rd all made gps 1sts. That way you aren't disclosing names. or are you just trying to stir the pot.

I have identified the team to which each speaker belongs. GPS does not allocate speaker positions and changes them each debate.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
True. Its technically possible that Shore, Joeys, High, Scots and Grammar could prem in a either a 6, 4, 3 or 2 way tie or outright. View could theoretically co-prem in a 6 way tie. But out of all the schools with a realistic shot Grammar is in the worst position.
If this week Scots beat Joeys (very possible) and High beat Shore (again possible) and Grammar win as expected, we will have a, wait for it, 5 way tie on 4 wins leaving possibly the most exciting Round 7 in recent history.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
AM I GOING TO LOOK SILLY ON GREEN AND GOLD???? THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS!
I come in peace as a fellow Grammar supporter. If you are indeed the Bob Jones account (which got deleted) re-incarnate, your campaign for Grammar rep selection (nsw team, now gps) on this forum could maybe have the opposite effect. Pls consider disengaging on this matter.