• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)
With Quarters up tonight, here are my thoughts.

1. Abbotsleigh v Queenwood
In what is probably an Archdale GF preview, 2 quality teams meet in a strong quarter. Queenwood have 1 strong speaker where Abbotsleigh are strong across the 3. Debating is a team effort especially from the quarters on so Abbotsleigh to claim this one.

2. Aloysius v Grammar
Last years grand final rematch. That’s about where the similarity ends as the only returnee is DLH from Grammar. Grammar go into this as overwhelming favourites with their team full of state reps/squad. Not that much known about Aloys this year, but there is strength there as their senior b’s are going well. Just can’t see an upset, Grammar to surge into the semis.

3. Cranbrook v Newington
Newington are on the way up esp after their GPS showing last year and second placing in Pool A. Cranbrook however have quietly gone about their business knocking off GPS co-premiers in Shore. That is impressive and that is why I expect them to win not only the QF but to qualify against Grammar in the GF.

4. View v Kings
Another GPS improver in Kings, it’s great to see, whilst View have been winning their match ups with some ease. This one will be close but I’m backing View’s depth so unlike the rugby, I expect View to win this one.

GLTA.

thesolicitor

Peter Burge (5)
With Quarters up tonight, here are my thoughts.

1. Abbotsleigh v Queenwood
In what is probably an Archdale GF preview, 2 quality teams meet in a strong quarter. Queenwood have 1 strong speaker where Abbotsleigh are strong across the 3. Debating is a team effort especially from the quarters on so Abbotsleigh to claim this one.

2. Aloysius v Grammar
Last years grand final rematch. That’s about where the similarity ends as the only returnee is DLH from Grammar. Grammar go into this as overwhelming favourites with their team full of state reps/squad. Not that much known about Aloys this year, but there is strength there as their senior b’s are going well. Just can’t see an upset, Grammar to surge into the semis.

3. Cranbrook v Newington
Newington are on the way up esp after their GPS showing last year and second placing in Pool A. Cranbrook however have quietly gone about their business knocking off GPS co-premiers in Shore. That is impressive and that is why I expect them to win not only the QF but to qualify against Grammar in the GF.

4. View v Kings
Another GPS improver in Kings, it’s great to see, whilst View have been winning their match ups with some ease. This one will be close but I’m backing View’s depth so unlike the rugby, I expect View to win this one.

GLTA.
State team member Will Ellis is a returnee from Grammar 1sts last year

Chip'n'Chaser

Bob McCowan (2)
With the updated ISDA draw out now, the final four teams have been locked in:

SF1: Queenwood v Grammar
SF2: Cranbrook v Riverview

Any predictions?

Romanforum

Peter Burge (5)

Any predictions?
Grammar v Cranbrook for the GF.

Great seasons by Queenwood and View btw.

Less chance of upsets given topic selection and adj panels in play unless ofc motions are one sided.

GLTA.

Any predictions?
Queenwood v Grammar: Grammar
Queenwood have had a great season and deserve to be celebrated for their great effort but Grammar is just too strong. I would expect Grammar to progress fairly easily.

Riverview v Cranbrook: Riverview
This is probably too close to call but I'd have to go with Riverview soley on the fact that more is known about their team. This should be a very exciting round between two very strong schools. Cranbrook have quietly worked their way through this season surprising many (including myself) but I think Riverview are too good. Would be interested if anyone knows who is even on the Cranbrook team because it seems like 4 random students have cruised their way to a Senior A semi finals.

chasinggold

Bob McCowan (2)
Grammar v Cranbrook for the GF.

Great seasons by Queenwood and View btw.

Less chance of upsets given topic selection and adj panels in play unless ofc motions are one sided.

GLTA.
I'm personally looking forward to seeing Queenwood not only making it to the finals, but taking home some silverware. They've done well this season and I see no reason the beastybaters should stop now.

Chip'n'Chaser

Bob McCowan (2)
Queenwood v Grammar: Grammar
Queenwood have had a great season and deserve to be celebrated for their great effort but Grammar is just too strong. I would expect Grammar to progress fairly easily.

Riverview v Cranbrook: Riverview
This is probably too close to call but I'd have to go with Riverview soley on the fact that more is known about their team. This should be a very exciting round between two very strong schools. Cranbrook have quietly worked their way through this season surprising many (including myself) but I think Riverview are too good. Would be interested if anyone knows who is even on the Cranbrook team because it seems like 4 random students have cruised their way to a Senior A semi finals.
As much as it seems that Cranbrook are unknown, they have some relatively strong debaters. Featuring Caspar Nicholson (state callback), Alex Hong, Robbie Wyer, and Angus Malcolm, they are quite strong. Three of those young men were CAS representatives last year, so as surprising as it may seem, it is not necessarily a major long shot. Note they also finished first in their pool, beating out Michael Kwak's Shore.

Riverview will match up well against them, so I expect it to be a strong and close debate.

As much as it seems that Cranbrook are unknown, they have some relatively strong debaters. Featuring Caspar Nicholson (state callback), Alex Hong, Robbie Wyer, and Angus Malcolm, they are quite strong. Three of those young men were CAS representatives last year, so as surprising as it may seem, it is not necessarily a major long shot. Note they also finished first in their pool, beating out Michael Kwak's Shore.

Riverview will match up well against them, so I expect it to be a strong and close debate.
Great insight Chip'n'Chaser- cheers for the info.

Do you know if these boys would be competitive against Grammar or is ISDA more a race for second at this point?

AntoChuangers45

Frank Row (1)
Hello again all.

It appears that my predictions last week missed the mark. I'd mainly question if it is a race for second, as the remaining teams are all quite strong. Certainly, to defeat a couple of the teams they have and make it this far I'd say there's certainly a couple sleeper hits. As I was last week, cheering for the underdogs here but I will admit the chances aren't good so I'll be more realistic with the predictions.

Queenwood v Grammar
Agree with Outside on this one. Queenwood have obviously done quite well this season but Grammar are yet to lose. No team is perfect, but Grammar has proven themselves. Odds would be a 20-80 for me.

Riverview v Cranbrook
The big names on the View team should be the four that come out on top. Not sure about the four that CnC has revealed on the Cranbrook team, so I'll credit the View team here. Won't say its 50-50 like Outside, I'll call it at 30-70.

Both of the odds aren't too good, but with the calibre of debaters in the semis an upset is very possible, especially with topic selection. I'm not sure how much experience with topic selection these teams have, but I think that a good (or bad) pick by any of the teams could flip the tables in a flash. We'll see if the ISDA topics hold up.

Signing off,
The 45

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hail once more, noble comrades,

'Tis I, returning to thee with reflections on the upcoming debates, where minds shall clash like titans in the arena of rhetoric. Verily, last week's prognostications may have strayed from the mark, yet fear not, for the winds of fate blow ever capricious in the realm of discourse.

As we peer into the fray betwixt Queenwood and Grammar, let us ponder the scales of destiny. Queenwood, a stalwart of valorous effort, doth bear the laurels of commendation this season. Yet Grammar, with its undefeated banner unfurled, stands as a fortress of intellectual prowess. The odds, I wager, lean heavily in favor of Grammar, a sturdy bastion against the tempests of doubt, a beacon of unyielding resolve. Verily, I'd mark the odds at a stout 20-80 in their favor.

And lo, as we turn our gaze to the contest betwixt Riverview and Cranbrook, we doth witness a clash of titans in their own right. Riverview, bedecked with names renowned in the annals of debate, doth boast a formidable host. Yet Cranbrook, though their roster remains cloaked in mystery, may yet hold secrets untold. I'd venture to assign the odds at a resolute 30-70 in favor of Riverview, for their reputation precedeth them like a herald's trumpet.

Though the odds may seem dire, let us not forsake hope, for the tides of fortune oft sway with caprice. A well-chosen topic may yet tilt the scales in favor of the underdog, and verily, the ISDA topics holdeth the key to such fortune.

Thus, I bid thee farewell, until we meet again amidst the verdant fields of discourse.

Yours in debate, A sane observer

-wisemaan

themasterdebater

Frank Row (1)
Been a bit of a quiet year, but just MASSIVE things happening tonight.

1. Eastside Grand Finals, with Sydney Girls and Sydney Boys going to head to head in what should be a wonderful debate. Both schools have great teams, but with 2 back-to-back PDC wins, Sydney Girls is looking very strong. That being said, there’s a rumour that their national speaker won’t be in attendance tonight, so only time will tell…

2. ISDA semi-finals. Grammar likely to sweep, Riverview v Cranbrook is pretty even odds, and it's all probably going to be closer than you all think and a bit of a snoozefest, perchance.

3. FED finals, don’t have too much information if anyone wants to input. Would love some comp diversity in here….

Remember: Debating first, whip second, family third.

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Been a bit of a quiet year, but just MASSIVE things happening tonight.

1. Eastside Grand Finals, with Sydney Girls and Sydney Boys going to head to head in what should be a wonderful debate. Both schools have great teams, but with 2 back-to-back PDC wins, Sydney Girls is looking very strong. That being said, there’s a rumour that their national speaker won’t be in attendance tonight, so only time will tell…

2. ISDA semi-finals. Grammar likely to sweep, Riverview v Cranbrook is pretty even odds, and it's all probably going to be closer than you all think and a bit of a snoozefest, perchance.

3. FED finals, don’t have too much information if anyone wants to input. Would love some comp diversity in here….

Remember: Debating first, whip second, family third.
My input
  • Eastside Grand Finals: Sydney Girls v Sydney Boys - Rumor has it, tonight's debate will be more suspenseful than a mystery novel. Who needs a national speaker when you have nerves of steel?
  • ISDA semi-finals: Grammar might sweep, but Riverview v Cranbrook promises to be a showdown worth staying awake for. Expect more twists and turns than a rollercoaster ride.
  • FED finals: Diversity in competition? Let's spice things up! Stay tuned for the debaters' grand finale, where words wield more power than a heavyweight title fight.

-wisemaan

chasinggold

Bob McCowan (2)
My input
  • Eastside Grand Finals: Sydney Girls v Sydney Boys - Rumor has it, tonight's debate will be more suspenseful than a mystery novel. Who needs a national speaker when you have nerves of steel?
  • ISDA semi-finals: Grammar might sweep, but Riverview v Cranbrook promises to be a showdown worth staying awake for. Expect more twists and turns than a rollercoaster ride.
  • FED finals: Diversity in competition? Let's spice things up! Stay tuned for the debaters' grand finale, where words wield more power than a heavyweight title fight.

-wisemaan

Eastside: Sydney Girls
ISDA Snr A: Grammar & Cranbrook

Cranbrook v Grammar Grand Final

Firstly very well done to Queenwood and Riverview for excellent seasons. Unsurprising that Grammar won but I've heard the chair was rolled in the Cranbrook v Riverview Debate. Would love to know if anyone who attended could provide some more detail on what happened/if there were any standout speakers.

I think the final itself will be more interesting than people think. Getting to an ISDA grand final is no mean feat and Cranbrook have overcome some very formidable opponents. Adding to this, a home Grand Final is something rarely seen in ISDA debating. Having reffed Cranbrook rugby games in the past, they often put up a very strong and passionate crowd and I would be eager to see if this will be replicated on the debating scene. In saying all this, I think any sane individual would have to choose Grammar as likely favourites but I'll always be rooting for the underdog. Would love to know everyone else's thoughts on the ISDA GF and/or outcomes for Term 3 Debating comps.

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
Cranbrook v Grammar Grand Final

Firstly very well done to Queenwood and Riverview for excellent seasons. Unsurprising that Grammar won but I've heard the chair was rolled in the Cranbrook v Riverview Debate. Would love to know if anyone who attended could provide some more detail on what happened/if there were any standout speakers.

I think the final itself will be more interesting than people think. Getting to an ISDA grand final is no mean feat and Cranbrook have overcome some very formidable opponents. Adding to this, a home Grand Final is something rarely seen in ISDA debating. Having reffed Cranbrook rugby games in the past, they often put up a very strong and passionate crowd and I would be eager to see if this will be replicated on the debating scene. In saying all this, I think any sane individual would have to choose Grammar as likely favourites but I'll always be rooting for the underdog. Would love to know everyone else's thoughts on the ISDA GF and/or outcomes for Term 3 Debating comps.
Hello there Outside,

Methinks Grammar may be the logical choice for favorites, given their sterling record and intellectual prowess. However, there's something undeniably thrilling about the prospect of an upset. Cranbrook’s supporters, accustomed to rallying behind their rugby team, might bring a fervor and energy that could tip the scales. Imagine that enthusiasm channeled into the hushed intensity of a debate—quite the spectacle!

As for the wider Term 3 Debating comps, it’s shaping up to be a season of surprises. The unpredictability and sheer talent on display make it hard to pick clear winners, which only adds to the excitement.

What do the rest of you think? Are we in for a grand final to remember, or will Grammar’s dominance prevail as expected? And which teams are you keeping an eye on for moving foward?

- Cheeky