• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
With 5 rounds down, only Grammar remains undefeated with no signs of that being challenged - seeing off a tough draw and their arch nemesis of the past 2 years Joeys who now bow out of it.

The draw will dictate who they meet and beat in the grand final.

Pool B looks interesting with Scots now out of it and Ascham and Cranbrook doing well alongside Shore.

Pool A looks a tight race for top spot as does Pool D.

anything can happen ofc but Grammar looks to have this.

ProudToAffirm

Frank Row (1)
HELLO DEBATERS.

After months of hybernation [sic], my debating powers are at maximum. [Citation required.] GIVE ME MANA!

For any predictions, please ask as I now have a new Orb of DEBATING POWER.

Regards,
Professional Debater.
Perhaps you could predict when these virtuous schoolboy trolls would relinquish their raid of this forum. I'm tired of these early predictions without nuance. avantgardeoldguard needs to return with a post with some actual analysis.

debatinglover567

Frank Row (1)
With 5 rounds down, only Grammar remains undefeated with no signs of that being challenged - seeing off a tough draw and their arch nemesis of the past 2 years Joeys who now bow out of it.

The draw will dictate who they meet and beat in the grand final.

Pool B looks interesting with Scots now out of it and Ascham and Cranbrook doing well alongside Shore.

Pool A looks a tight race for top spot as does Pool D.

anything can happen ofc but Grammar looks to have this.
Agreed that Grammar is a contender, but I wouldn't discount the likes King's or St Aloysius. I hear they have strong speakers and could put up a good challenge.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
It appears that some generational talent graduated last year for the likes of Barker, Joeys, Aloysius, SCEGGS, Scots and Riverview.

Grammar on the other hand looks just as strong as ever and should win. Shore looks to be the main challenger - looking forward to the finals.

currentstatusquo

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know if the ISDA results tab will publish the margin points and final tables for each pool? Would be good to know whether teams have broke or been eliminated by margins.

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone have predictions for finalists/any teams doing particularly well. Other than Grammar, I've seen no real standout in quality but would be interested to know what others think.

Romanforum

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone have predictions for finalists/any teams doing particularly well. Other than Grammar, I've seen no real standout in quality but would be interested to know what others think.
I think aside from Grammar, whoever tops Pool B (Shore or Cranbrook) have the best chance of making the grand final. Riverview who were the Senior B ISDA winners ly are going well but I think Shore/Cranbrook are stronger so will beat them in the semi.

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
I think aside from Grammar, whoever tops Pool B (Shore or Cranbrook) have the best chance of making the grand final. Riverview who were the Senior B ISDA winners ly are going well but I think Shore/Cranbrook are stronger so will beat them in the semi.
Interesting. I've heard about Shore with their state speaker but wondering what you've heard about Cranbrook. Any outstanding speakers/have you seen them debate? Not typically as high-performing school so very interested to see them in the mix.

TheFoundingFather

Frank Row (1)
NSW State Team announced
Team:
1. Michael Kwak (c) (Shore)
2. Anhaar Kareem (SGHS)
3. William McCarthy (Joeys)
4. Will Ellis (SGS)
Reserves:
5. Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz (SGS)
6. Maya Garg (PLC)

There may be hints of bias, considering all four grammar speakers made the squad of 12.

Surprised Jason Lin didn't get a look in

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

- TFF

JoeMarshall67

Frank Row (1)
Agreed, would be keen to see if anyone has some concrete information because personally cant see the above team getting far in the comp, but always as you know debating is anyone's game.

JM67

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
Having watched a few (not many) Senior A debates this year I can tell you that the quality has been high however no one really seems to be on the level of Grammar. It seems a bit like a race for second at this point disappointingly. From what I've seen Riverview has been the strongest but really I can't see them being competitive with Grammar at all. Anyone else have a pick?

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
NSW State Team announced
Team:
1. Michael Kwak (c) (Shore)
2. Anhaar Kareem (SGHS)
3. William McCarthy (Joeys)
4. Will Ellis (SGS)
Reserves:
5. Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz (SGS)
6. Maya Garg (PLC)

There may be hints of bias, considering all four grammar speakers made the squad of 12.

Surprised Jason Lin didn't get a look in

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

- TFF
Seeing this is a rugby website, will any of these boys line up for their school's 1st XV?