• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

ProudToAffirm/Negate

Bob McCowan (2)
NSW State Team announced
Team:
1. Michael Kwak (c) (Shore)
2. Anhaar Kareem (SGHS)
3. William McCarthy (Joeys)
4. Will Ellis (SGS)
Reserves:
5. Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz (SGS)
6. Maya Garg (PLC)

There may be hints of bias, considering all four grammar speakers made the squad of 12.

Surprised Jason Lin didn't get a look in

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

- TFF
what kind of bias do you mean??

restarted_persone

Bob McCowan (2)
Seeing this is a rugby website, will any of these boys line up for their school's 1st XV?
i believe one could argue that it would come in handy during games.

1713145759969.jpeg

Evenif

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone have the list of finalists? ISDA say that it should be up today but isn't up at the time of writing.
I got them. For Senior A's its Abbotsleigh, Newington, Aloysius, Pymble, Cranbrook, Shore, Ascham, Saint Andrews, Sydney Grammar, Kings, Queenwood, MLC, Riverview, PLC, Saint Luke's and Barker

Chip'n'Chaser

Frank Row (1)
Big news coming out of NSDC from NSWDU.

1. First time in 13 years that a team has won all 7 preliminary debates
2. Had a total panel score of 20-1 and broke 1st
3. Runners Up (Defeated by Victoria in a 7:2 split)
4. Aus team selections:
- William McCarthy (c)
- Michael Kwak
- Anhaar Kareem (r)

With all these great achievements, however, the question beckons as to whether NSW will be able to keep up this strong form and get over the hump next year.

Leavers: Michael Kwak (c), William McCarthy, Will Ellis, Anhaar Kareem, Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz (r)
Returners: Maya Garg (r)

It is also important to note that Udai and Sophie will not be returning as coaches next year, so it seems that it will almost be a completely clean slate heading into NSDC 2025

The Peanut Gallery

Frank Nicholson (4)
Big news coming out of NSDC from NSWDU.

1. First time in 13 years that a team has won all 7 preliminary debates
2. Had a total panel score of 20-1 and broke 1st
3. Runners Up (Defeated by Victoria in a 7:2 split)
4. Aus team selections:
- William McCarthy (c)
- Michael Kwak
- Anhaar Kareem (r)

With all these great achievements, however, the question beckons as to whether NSW will be able to keep up this strong form and get over the hump next year.

Leavers: Michael Kwak (c), William McCarthy, Will Ellis, Anhaar Kareem, Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz (r)
Returners: Maya Garg (r)

It is also important to note that Udai and Sophie will not be returning as coaches next year, so it seems that it will almost be a completely clean slate heading into NSDC 2025
Very happy to see a lively DEBATING forum with such insightful analysis, never thought I would see the day. As a GPS man myself, I can't help but be happy for grammar, who don't even compete in the 1st XV competition. Will be watching this forum from afar as a faithful and loyal admirer as it continues to blossom.

TheFoundingFather

Frank Row (1)
Very happy to see a lively DEBATING forum with such insightful analysis, never thought I would see the day. As a GPS man myself, I can't help but be happy for grammar, who don't even compete in the 1st XV competition. Will be watching this forum from afar as a faithful and loyal admirer as it continues to blossom.
Absolutely, it’s refreshing to see Grammar shine. Let's celebrate diverse strengths rather than always drawing comparisons to the sports arena! Remember this isn't a rugby forum.

OutsideSentHer13

Stan Wickham (3)
Octo Finals Predictions:

Abbotsleigh v Barker: Barker

Shore v Queenwood: Queenwood

Grammar v St Andrews: St Andrews

PLC v St. Aloys: Aloys

Cranbrook v MLC: MLC

Newington v St Lukes: Newington

Riverview v Pymble: Riverview

Kings v Ascham: Ascham

I know a few upsets in there but I'm fairly confident in these predictions based on some inside info. Would be keen if others have heard differently about certain teams.

ProudToAffirm/Negate

Bob McCowan (2)
Octo Finals Predictions:

I know a few upsets in there but I'm fairly confident in these predictions based on some inside info. Would be keen if others have heard differently about certain teams.
grammar...

OutsideSentHer13

Stan Wickham (3)
grammar...
I have some inside info that I can't share surrounding the strength of Grammar's team. St Andrews has this year put up very strong performances against typically stronger schools. In saying this, grammar has a lot of depth so they are still a big chance to win but I thought I would make a bit of a bold prediction.

Thoughts on any other of the predictions?

SuperCrimson

Frank Row (1)
Octo Finals Predictions:

Many of these are upsets... perhaps some reasoning?

ProudToAffirm

Frank Row (1)
Now that we're three debates in, it's time to have a look at ISDA. Some teams are going to start qualifying for Octos next week, but it's interesting to see where teams are poised almost halfway.

It's good to see a higher quality of topics; no topics were really one-sided like it was the case for last year. Props to the convenors.

In Pool A, Aloys are also doing well against some strong teams. They should perform well in CAS, a few speakers who also went for state & one or two got called back. Apart from them, Newington and Abbotsleigh look most likely to make Octos. Knox is also cruising along well, no comment. This will really come down to Debate 6 and 7, so no point speculating now. My money's on: Aloys, Newington, Abbotsleigh, Knox.

In Pool B, Shore's perfect winrate (so far) is not surprising, and the "problem" of the one-man team probably isn't much concern. Ascham's also 3 for 3, but I haven't heard much about their team. Next week we'll see the currently undefeated two, Shore and Ascham, face off in Pool B for direct Octo qualification. Should be interesting. Otherwise, Cranbrook, Scots and Kambala would be my picks for the last two spots going into the Octos. My money's on: Shore, Ascham, Cranbrook and Kambala.

Pool C offers the strongest array of teams this year and (maybe) the most surprising results. Sydney Grammar are (unsurprisingly) on 3 wins, but as are King's, and at that against 3 fairly strong teams. (This team came dead last in GPS last year!) Either the old ones all graduated or their (probably) new coach must be a god of some kind. Surprisingly, Joeys are having a hard time, 0 wins in 3, despite really only 1 change in the team and 2 speakers apparently making the NSW callbacks. At this point, Grammar and Kings are probably locked in for Octos given a win next week; Queenwood probably makes Octos, a pretty strong team only hampered by King's so far, and we'll see about the last spot – could be a Joeys miracle (as much as we all want to see an underdog story), but more likely a battle between Wenona, MLC and SCEGGS. My money's on: Grammar, King's, Queenwood and Wenona. (Wenona's volatile; but with a bit of luck, they can certainly make it.)

Nothing super shocking from Pool D – Barker still doing well despite a such a generational team all graduating. A real litmus test should come in Debate 6 against Riverview, probably the other current favourite to make Octos. They are doing fine for themselves at 2/3, they should still have a speaker who made GPS 2nds reps last year. St Luke's have also won 2, but are yet to face Barker or Riverview, probably the two strongest ones historically. This is probably the group most up in the air, Barker and Riverview look assured but any of the other 6 could make it, realistically. My money's on: Barker, Riverview, St Luke's and...well, I really have no idea. I'll just nominate PLC, but I'm not surprised if that's wrong.

ISDA's always a bit of fun, but the real "pointy end" debating kicks off in Term 3. Still a bit early to make any predictions, but this year looks to be promising with a strong Year 12 cohort.
One sec, Nostradamus seems to be in our presence. 13/16 correct, and Knox was only out due to the margins, so almost 14/16. Any finals shouts?

ProudToNegate

Frank Row (1)
Octo Finals Predictions:

Bait used to be believable uno

Evenif

Frank Row (1)
Octo Finals Predictions:

How come shore loses to queenwood they have Kwak