• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree whole heartedly, though expressing an opinion that ABC will beat XYZ can be valid if a person knows the two groups well or has seen players from another group in U/16s and can impute a likely assessment.

I find myself going for GPS during a trial game more for the sake of the Joeys lads in GPS, (not that there will be a lot this year), than for any attachment to GPS itself. But after the final bell I don't really care. You're right: it doesn't matter who wins.

Agree also what you indicate: that lads from lesser teams should get a fair shake. It's hard to shine when your team is on the back foot; and an average player can look a star in a strong team. It's important therefore that the selectors are experienced and can take everything into account.

N

no_name12

ok. So from what everyone has been saying NSW should put up a good fight at the Champs this year. Is it early to ask for a new NSW 1st and 2nd XV? only form players who have a good shot at making it if so please

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Alex Northam has been playing well in 1st colts. He should feature somewhere I'd think.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alex Northam has been playing well in 1st colts. He should feature somewhere I'd think.

Even though he is playing in the centres for CHS I believe he will go close to getting the fullback spot in one of the NSW teams

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
how do people think the CHS forwards will compare to the GPS forwards?

and does anyone have any views on the recent CHS, AICES, CCC trials?

J

jayson

It depends on nsw 1s coach and you he has told to come to his school on 2010 and picks.. watch and see..
NTS and ARU are trying to stop selection bias.. and all selections need to be outside independent.. teachers who coach 1st 15 etc should not select and have a say.
CCC boys in 16s have down well in the past and have hardly had anyone picked in nsw 16s.. however the schools team than is beaten by syd 16s (most boys not picked in schools).. they beat chs last sunday i here and have a good 12/7/6/8 and a mean front row
this yr 18s/16s selectors are picking 18s 1s/2s and 16s.. yet the 16s coach is cranbrook 1st 15 coach..
let the ARU pick and have independent panels...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone want to have a go at a squad, I'm probably going to be crucified for starting such controversy but it would be nice to be able to align players with positions and having them all in one comment :)

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I made this post back on page 1

Allan Ala'alatoa Newington College (prop)
Gordon Broome Asquith Boys High (openside breakaway)
Jack Debreczeni Trinity Grammar (No. 10)
Jack Dempsey St Ignatius College (blindside breakaway)
Rhys Dombkins St Augustines College (lock, blindside No.8)
Lalakai Foketi Kings School (2nd 5/8)
Mackenzie Kulen St Ignatius College(prop)
Ben Lawley Knox Grammar (prop)
Brandon Mafi Hills SHS
Jock Merriman SHORE (half)
Will Miller Scots College
Alex Northam Killarney Heights HS (outside centre, wing, fullback)
Brogen Roods Newington College (outside centre)
Nathan Roye Newington College (wing)
Jim Stewart Scots College (inside centre)
Jack Walters Scots College (openside breakaway)
Michael Wells St Ignatius College (lock, No 8)
Waldo Wessels Endeavour SHS (half)
Ezrah Amituanai Newington College (prop)
JJ Purcell St Augustines (inside centre)

I need locks and wings and another fullback and hookers

Q

QuadeCooperFan

I would have Sam Baraket in there considering he made NSW 2s last year. I mentioned earlier in the thread that he's left school, I have since learned otherwise.

As for fullback, there seems to be a general consensus that Angus Le Lievre from Joeys has a good chance, especially with Cam Clark from Knox being injured. And wings? well i'm not too sure, maybe they'll move a couple of people out into that position. Lalakai played wing at last years U16 national champs, perhaps he could have a go there. Not too sure on hookers. That list of the NSW 16s 2009 that NorthernSon posted earlier says there is a Grammar hooker Peter Barratt so if he is still at school then perhaps him.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would have Sam Baraket in there considering he made NSW 2s last year. I mentioned earlier in the thread that he's left school, I have since learned otherwise.

As for fullback, there seems to be a general consensus that Angus Le Lievre from Joeys has a good chance, especially with Cam Clark from Knox being injured. And wings? well i'm not too sure, maybe they'll move a couple of people out into that position. Lalakai played wing at last years U16 national champs, perhaps he could have a go there. Not too sure on hookers. That list of the NSW 16s 2009 that NorthernSon posted earlier says there is a Grammar hooker Peter Barratt so if he is still at school then perhaps him.

Agree that Le Lievre is the likely fullback and that Foketi would handle a wing spot easily.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
locks- #8 Thomas Vaessen CHS
hooker- #2 Hamish Austin CCC
both country with an outside shot
just from what i saw at the recent trial
i am expecting the hooker from CAS (i think morsello) to do well and they usually have a strong forward pack

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No one jumps out at me as NSW hooker and can't remember the 2010 U/16 NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors hookers from last year as being special.

I saw the View THP Kulen throwing to the lineout the Saturday before last though propping in the scrums. He could be a real smokey if another good THP is around.

Dumb idea? As you were then; carry on.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
No one jumps out at me as NSW hooker and can't remember the 2010 U/16 NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors hookers from last year as being special.

I saw the View THP Kulen throwing to the lineout the Saturday before last though propping in the scrums. He could be a real smokey if another good THP is around.

Well, would a concerted 1.5m shove at time of scrum put in as per u19 rules instead of hooking be enough to cover any hooking deficiencies on Kulen's part?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
2nd lot of trials tomorrow at Cranbrook - CAS V CHS. 2's at 1.00pm and the firsts at 2.30.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of discussion about the trials so far.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

May I suggest Peter Barratt from Grammar.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
wells played Gps 3rds then went on to make Aus schoolboys, so it was obviously a bad call at GPS level. Certainly think that overall Riverview are strongest team this year and should be given better look in for spots

Actually it was the correct call. The other selection was the wrong one.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some posts referring to schools rugby politics have been transferred to the schools rugby politics thread to avoid possible toxicity in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.