• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
CHS Is 15 - CAS Is 7

Some notes – and using the names in the programme:

• CHS had the going in the 1st half with their forwards showing much more mongrel, and were ahead 8-0 at oranges, but CAS came back in the 2nd and created several chances though managing just one try from them. Poor passing and catching did not help their cause.

• The game was held up for the best part of an hour after an unfortunate leg injury to CHS 2. Kay. His place was taken by Twos hooker Haddad.

CAS

• 10. Debreczeni looks like he is filling out a bit this year and was stronger in the tackle with or without the ball. He had good sleight of hand but sometimes all that was needed was to dish the ball out quickly rather than trying to fake things first. His kicking from hand was very good and he had a few good runs too. I'd have him behind Vaux (View ) and King (Shore) at the minute though. Oddly enough, 9. Jones and he, both from a gun Trinity team, did not combine that well.

• I liked the work of 3. Satiu (Trinity) as he has the mark of a good all round footie player. 5. Orr (Trinity) also played well and 13. Scarano (Knox) put on a couple of good moves, one of which nearly led to a try but the player was held up.

CHS

• Because of a niggling injury 7. Broome (Asquith) had only a short stint of 15 minutes at the end of the game but he was dynamite in that short time. Vaessen (Narrabri), who played 8 in the Twos game started at 7 for the Ones and did a darned fine job. The other flanker, 6. Calcagno (Kellyville) had some dangerous runs and was difficult to put down. 5. Rokosuka (Marsden) was a Sitaleki type of athletic 2nd rower and hard to handle, though his lineout catching was a bit scratchy.

• In the backs 9. Wessels (Endeavour) passed well for most of the game and the comparison with the performance of the other scrummie was stark. 13. Northam (Kilarney Heights) was one of the most dangerous players on the ground. He scored a try out of nowhere once: one second he was running towards a couple of defenders and the next he was scoring a try. Reminded me of a schools Jason Little. You can see how his time playing in Colts must have helped him. He will likely be in the NSW mix with Roods and Mitchell.

• The back three for CHS were potent when they got the ball with a bit of space. 14. Tanginoa (Prairiewood) had several slashing runs, 11. Kavaefiafi (Westfields) had Ioane-like leg drive and 15. Gutherson (Freshwater) had an excellent game., including kick and chase.

I know I have nominated more CHS lads, and the score was close, but they took my eye more.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
CHS IIs 38 – CAS IIs 14

Some thoughts of the game (and using the names in the programme):

• CHS were better for a majority of the game, and was very good for a Twos side, but the score blew out a bit because CHS struck with several long breakouts, some of which resulted in tries.

CAS

• CAS had a fair share of ball, especially in the 2nd half but they had trouble converting good situations into tries.

• 8. Fay (Cranbrook) was probably their best. He's a skinny lad but he plays above his weight and is on the ball like a flash. Scored a very sharp try.

• 10. Paterson (Waverley) is a very interesting player. He looks like a centre playing flyhalf and in that vein sometimes ran when he should have passed. Good player though.

CHS

• 1. Batho (Farrer) was part of a superior scrum and his LH side went forward all day. Also had a good stint in the Ones at the end. 3. Fangaloka (Epping) was one of the many big bopper props on the park during the day and although he has to lose some weight around his gut, he was very active. Long haired reserve LHP Sau (Endeavour) was good value when he came on too; bloody hard to stop.

• 7. Leao (Hunter) was very aggressive with his don't argue attitude and 5. Manukeu (Plumpton) had a good all round game, from backing up to being strong in contact.

• 10. Hodge (Manly) steered his team around the park well and kicked some cracking conversions from touch. 12. Milne (Randwick) was elusive and looked like a good all-round footie player also.

• Like the Ones, the CHS Twos had a strong back 3. They worked well together and were responsible for most of the breakouts mentioned above. All of them were fast. 11. Moeakiola (Hills) was a strong finisher with a good fend; 14. Fangia (Marsden) was much the same and 15. Asquith (Kiama) created chance after chance.

Then a replacement winger came on: Lyneham (Forbes) who scuttled away for the last try and was probably the fastest in the match.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Jordan Meredith from CCC who also happens to be a very talented cricketer and SG Ball player from Manly is worth a look. He has been playing rugby for years so he doesn't play it like a league player and has pedigree as a 16s rep for either NSW schools or Sydney at the Aust Champs in 2009.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
so anyone like to have a go at a team list
i dont have much knowledge with GPS or ISA etc
so i would be interested in who people think are playing well enough to get into NSW 1 or 2

W

waves

Ill have a crack at a team, preety close to what I think will be a good NSW team.

NSW 1's:

1. Caterson (CHS)
2. ???
3. Ala'alatoa (GPS)
4. Rokosuka (CHS)
5. Koviac (GPS)
6. Bomdkins (ISA)
7. Broome (CHS)
8. Wells (GPS)
9. Wessels (CHS)
10. Debreczieni (CAS)
11. Kavaefiafi (CHS) / Roye (GPS)
12. Purcell (ISA)
13. Roods (GPS)
14. Tanginoa (CHS)
15. Le Lievre (GPS)

No standout Hookers in my opinion and I believe CHS and GPS will dominate selections especially in the backline.

L

LucyMiller

NSW 1's:

11. Kavaefiafi (CHS) / Roye (GPS)
12. Purcell (ISA)
13. Roods (GPS)
14. Tanginoa (CHS)
15. Le Lievre (GPS)

I believe Northam the 13 for CHS 1s should certainly get a look at. As Lee Grant said he was the most dangerous player on the field in the CAS game. If he cant make 13 I still believe he could shift to wing and be as strong out there.

W

waves

I believe Northam the 13 for CHS 1s should certainly get a look at. As Lee Grant said he was the most dangerous player on the field in the CAS game. If he cant make 13 I still believe he could shift to wing and be as strong out there.

I actually wrote a bench aswell but didnt post it he will deffinately be in my 22 although the selection process NSW have might see him start in NSW2's

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
CCC v Country this weekend
Going with CCC as they have been together longer than Country (being picked yesterday) though country do have around 8 from the Hunter team who recently won the 18's Country Champs, means they know each other fairly well, still think CCC will out enthuse the typical strong country boys

W

waves

who was the bench you picked

16. Batho (CHS)
17. ??????
18. Talakai (CAS)
19. Rorke (GPS)
20. Dempsey (GPS)
21. Jones (CAS)
22. Northam (CHS)
23. Firth (ISA)

People might disagree with a few selections but in previous times of NSW team selectors picking 4th best players on the bench for NSW1's this is what I would come up with. Also having not seen CCC or Country play no doubt a few players will come amongst talk just nothing to get from them so far.

W

waves

talakai is injured isnt he? dont think he made CAS
CCC v Country rat water park 1200 sunday

Yes along with Charles Ingram-Melson but CAS took both boys on camp despite their injuries and they trained with CAS 1st XV not with the other boys on the weekend. Both will feature in selection the next up coming games.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
People might disagree with a few selections but in previous times of NSW team selectors picking 4th best players on the bench for NSW1's this is what I would come up with.

That's my understanding of selection protocol.

Not quite to the point but some folks may not realise that NSW (and Qld for the the past few years IIRR) pick their best 15 players in their Ones team and their next best 15 in the Twos. Normally one would think, for example, that the 2nd best hooker would be in the reserves for the Ones

The rationale behind it is that they want their best two players in any position to start in the major games so their performances can be compared. By contrast, for the one non-competition game of the week, most of the reserves get to start.

N

ned

16. Batho (CHS)
17. ??????
18. Talakai (CAS)
19. Rorke (GPS)
20. Dempsey (GPS)
21. Jones (CAS)
22. Northam (CHS)
23. Firth (ISA)

People might disagree with a few selections but in previous times of NSW team selectors picking 4th best players on the bench for NSW1's this is what I would come up with. Also having not seen CCC or Country play no doubt a few players will come amongst talk just nothing to get from them so far.
Figures you'd include Talakai!!! How can you include Talakai when he still hasn't played for Waverley, let alone CAS.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
im going with the GPS hooker starting (just purely from the selection process), the CAS team arent looking as strong as usual from the reviews, and beaten by CHS whose 1s hooker is now injured, so most likely would include CAS hooker (again on the selection process), also CCC hooker could get in as i believe the team will beat Country and higher ranked in the selection process as CHS 2s
havent seen ISA yet, so please inform me if you have any other information
based on performance, havent seen enough to make it certain
hooker seems the only position that hasnt got one certain person selected by anyone
views..?

R

rara10

I was told by smeone that was there that Country might give a few people a shock. Depth very good apaeantly

W

waves

Figures you'd include Talakai!!! How can you include Talakai when he still hasn't played for Waverley, let alone CAS.

Because he would be my only other option Satui was outplayed in scrums against CHS and I dont know any other players just putting in players I know and have watched. How about you put a team together ?

T

TigersFan5

Because he would be my only other option Satui was outplayed in scrums against CHS and I dont know any other players just putting in players I know and have watched. How about you put a team together ?

Barakat From scots played NSW 2's last year, wouldn't surprise me to see him get a run into the 1's team this year. He has been running around at 6 this year for scots but wouldn't surprise me to see him in the NSW 1's squad

Status
Not open for further replies.