• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Has anyone got any results or reports from the GPS games so far today. Unfortunately cannot escape the office for today's games.

Hope the GPS forwards are up for this one!

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS 2s won 50-21, GPS 1s won 55-7 or something similar, CAS had a solid win over ISA. IMO Andrew Deegan played himself into the NSW number 10 jersey.

magnesie

Frank Row (1)
ISA I lost to CAS I - completely different team from last week in terms of playing. Less commitment to the break down, less intensity and aggression. Scrum was destroyed every scrum. Lots of unforced errors. Lackluster game.
Standouts - 5, 11, 13

ISA II beat Country - completely different team from last week. Stuck to the game plan the whole game. Looked great out there and was probably the most exciting game of the day. Despite being a lot smaller, ISA boys put it over the country boys, especially in the scrums with 2 tightheads for ISA boys.
Standouts - 2, 3, 8, 13, 14

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Are both boys definately lost to Rugby? Wasn't Moarea in the youth 7s team last year? Also isn't Lussick sign to the mungoes as well?

Maybe they are chasing some development that the ARU just can't support. Lutunipulu came out of school as one of the best centres in recent times and has since faded away in what there is of the ARU system.
Well said Homer. I get sick of hearing of this. These lads mentioned are not the only boys playing league, there is another lad from ISA as well in the same boat. Who's to say that all these boys still won't go down the path of Union ? I know all these lads personally and they absolutely love their union as well but have been lucky enough to have a backup when they leave school. if Union want these kids at the end of the year I am sure something can be sorted out. Australian Schoolboys will be picked on having the best players available and all these lads are eligible for that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CAS II 72 - AICES 5 ( that was what the scoreboard attendent told me - Didn't see the game)
GPS III 50 - CCC 21
Country 19 - ISA II 31
CHS II 0 - GPS II 67
CAS I 39 - ISA I 12
CHS I - 5 GPS I 57

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well said Homer. I get sick of hearing of this. These lads mentioned are not the only boys playing league, there is another lad from ISA as well in the same boat. Who's to say that all these boys still won't go down the path of Union ? I know all these lads personally and they absolutely love their union as well but have been lucky enough to have a backup when they leave school. if Union want these kids at the end of the year I am sure something can be sorted out. Australian Schoolboys will be picked on having the best players available and all these lads are eligible for that.

The major difference here is that these boys, and others, as you pointed out, appear to have "contracts".
If that is the case then we will loose them to the NRL, why doesn't the JRU have something similar to counter this?
what are these contracts?
when do they kick in? On leaving school or at 18?
anyone able to inform?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't believe any club has any uncontracted players in their 20's squad, at all.
Any player that is playing that standard,and would qualify to play in that grade for 3 years would be in the top echelon in regards to future prospects.
You think any Mungo club would identify a youngster as being in their top echelon of prospects and not have them contracted for a few years in advance?

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371814747.788151.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371814768.136508.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371814780.919905.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Congrats to all the boys. Now go and kick some Reds bums at Nationals.

The "last years boys returning" selection strategy nearly worked with all boys from last years NSW I, NSW II or Combined states being named again, less:
Max Cook St Augustines
Harrison Williams St Aloysius (Unavailable - Injured)
Adrian Delore Whitebridge HS (Shadow Squad)

A few boys selected who I think were lucky, and a few boys who were unlucky based on the games I saw. Life is like that sometimes but sometimes opportunity knocks twice.

Remember Doing a Bradbury can get GOLD. Hang in there.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Some very, very interesting selections.

I watched the last 5 games today and took notes for most. I must say I am perplexed to see:

a) Dave Smerdon not selected at all. He was easily in the top 3 No10s today.
b) Johnny Walker selected.(period). He was MIA today and many other players were better but makes the NSWIIs??
c) 3 GPS III players and a GPS reserve selected!!!
d) Nick Koutsoukis (CAS) and Matt Serhon (GPS I) both played way better than Hosea Fotukava (GPS III) but he gets selected in the NSW Is??? (but he deserved to be a shadow player).
e) Jack McCalman (GPS II) gets selected over Dave Morris (GPS I) who was better on the day (but then he didn't play Aust Schools last year)!

and there are more . . .... as Huge has alluded to, there will be disappointments and certainly surprises which was again the case today.

There is always the Aust Combined States team to be selected for those missing out today. My tip would be for Dave Smerdon (10) and Jum Woodhill (7) to be in this team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
George Smith, the games today are important in the grand scheme of things, but the selectors obviously take performance across the entire trials series, otherwise there would have only been J Anderson from ISA selected in any of the 3 teams. The ISA I team were as bad today as they were good against CHS team. B Freeman from Kinross (not View) could be lumped in with the J Walker category, and J Lough must have been very impressive in the 6 minutes he played against CHS. It was the only time he played to get a gig in NSW I.

Smerdon was deceptively good today wasn't he? How was he on Tuesday and against CHS?

H Summerhayes was massive for CAS today and was my MOM.

I liked the look of 13. H Hutchinson from St Ignatius College/ISA (NSW II), and the couple of lads from The Scots College/ISA:)

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
The lads who we have been noted MIA are all NGS boys. I thought they would have been picked up by Manu in the Combined States Team but there must be a friend in the Schools panel.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
The lads who we have been noted MIA are all NGS boys. I thought they would have been picked up by Manu in the Combined States Team but there must be a friend in the Schools panel.
When are the combined states announced? And George how are these players selected?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Combined States have a separate selection panel including two ARU HPU guys. The team is to be announced this weekend.[edit] Tuesday for any announcements.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Combined States have a separate selection panel including two ARU HPU guys. The team is to be announced this weekend.

Does anyone know - can the NSW 'Shadow Players' be selected for the Combined States team? As it's likely they won't be called up, except in the case of injury, seems unfair if they are out of contention for Combined States and left on the bleechers ...?!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On my reading, not being an aficionado nor having any familial connection in the age group, the NSW 2s (1-15) has 5 backrowers.
Is this part of a plan to turn true second rowers onto some other sport?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On my reading, not being an aficionado nor having any familial connection in the age group, the NSW 2s (1-15) has 5 backrowers.
Is this part of a plan to turn true second rowers onto some other sport?

It could be they are 2nd rowers for their school who were picked as back rowers for the rep games, and now have been selected in their true position for the state teams. But like you I am not an aficionado in this area and am not privvy to any inside info.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It could be they are 2nd rowers for their school who were picked as back rowers for the rep games, and now have been selected in their true position for the state teams. But like you I am not an aficionado in this area and am not privvy to any inside info.
Vasillis is a flanker at all levels.
Looks like Hanigan was 2R for GPS but I thought he played b/row for SJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.