• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
the ISA 7 I would have at 6 I don't think his work rate was high enough and he was hanging in the backs a lot, good ball runner though.
Just what the schoolboy selectors love. Definitely 6 or 7
TOM Serhon was not the GPS 1 Half. Heard the starting GPS half had issues that didn't allow him to play Sunday, so the GPS2 half was called up after an inept display in their first game by their reserve half. He had a v good game.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
'What were you thoughts on the CCC 1# will Grassby. He seemed like a good player to me'

Will Grasby is a great player. He reminds me of David Lyons: Big ballrunner whom can prop and play number 8. The more work the NSW staff can do with this lad on his scrimmaging the better, as he is a talent that could go either way (He played prop for the Central Coast Harold Matthew's league side this year). I would definitely pick him for NSW honours.

Another CCC 16 year old that hasn't been mentioned is Jeremy Abdullah; he's a big and fast inside centre who made NSW 15s last year and would make a solid impact from the bench.

Good to see some CCC names being thrown into the mix!

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I like hopoate big strong player but the ball dosnt seem to get any further past himself
To be fair to Hopoate in the first game(Sunday) it didn't get to him often enough and when he got it he had defenders swarming all around him. The Stanis half help solve the back line problems when he came on.

S

sidelineview

some tips to be in the mix.
CAS - Basson, Dainton, Morris, Armstrong, Bosch. plus the lock who won all the lineout ball.
GPS I - Todd, N.Brown, Wennerbom, Sheldon, Pirina, Terry, R.Miller
GPS II - Orpen
CCC - Valu, Manu, Sailor
CHS - Sa'u, half back, Hayman
ISA - Basha, Ongosia, halfback, Hopoate,

The number 5 Liam Rasch won a lot of ball in the lineout for CAS. Half Tyzac Bailey from CAS had a very strong game in the second half of the Final.
The CCC number 7 Delahoya Manu was impressive.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry - I put this on the Open's thread by mistake rather than 16's thread for those like me that did not know how it worked..

It was explained to me how the selections work for Sydney and NSW Schools U16's by someone well qualified to know.

They both pick their teams and submit them to NSW rugby and the common players are then worked out.

This year NSW Schools get first choice so they might decide a number 7 who is a common player is their first priority. Sydney gets next choice and the number 13 may be their pick.

It keeps going until all common players are eliminated and then each team fills up their team with their next choice.

If there is 10 common players then each team would lose 5 of their original line-up.

Probably more depth in the NSW Schools tournament but both teams should be relatively close in ability although the schools team seems to carry more kudos but you do not get a choice.

It seems a relatively fair system.

So you will never know if you made both teams unless there is a leak.

It will be interesting to see if Schools pick their two players in NSW Opens in the U16's teams - Luke Lough and Harrison Goddard and also if they choose to play.​

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's usually a couple of lads like Goddard and Lough who have been selected for Opens and U16's. IIRC last year it was Hutchison and Kennewell.

Usually they play in the opens and are declared unavailable for their actual age group for reasons like injury, player fatigue management, or other commitments.

Champion

Bob McCowan (2)
Jeremy Abdullah has a good chance of making it though I've noticed his defence isn't quite as good as the other centres but then again he is a great crash ball centre and hard to stop so it makes up for it . And I've heard he is playing rugby league this year. But William grassby is a sure pick.
But I don't think William is to Interested In rugby I don't think we will see him play anything but school rugby
Zac stride is also someone that I can see making a future In rugby he was playing up a age and if he got some size on him he could a be a weapon

In the lineout

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jeremy Abdullah has a good chance of making it though I've noticed his defence isn't quite as good as the other centres but then again he is a great crash ball centre and hard to stop so it makes up for it . And I've heard he is playing rugby league this year. But William grassby is a sure pick.
But I don't think William is to Interested In rugby I don't think we will see him play anything but school rugby
Zac stride is also someone that I can see making a future In rugby he was playing up a age and if he got some size on him he could a be a weapon
So, if they are not committed to Union for the season, stop selecting them and let them play their league. Select kids that are committed...

S

sidelineview

Predictions?? Starting from #1-#15

Apologies to any stand out players I missed. I can only choose from what I noticed on the weekend, especially in the Final. I didn't see every game. I'm not sure how many are picked in the squad.

5. Liam Rasch (CAS)
7. Delahoya Manu (CCC)
8. Milan Basson (CAS)
9. Dimitry Chipizuboy (ISA) or Tyzac Bailey (CAS)
10. Matt Dainton (CAS)
11. Alex Sheldon (GPS)
12. John Hopoate (ISA)
13. James Armstrong (CAS)
14. Jaya Yoannidis (CAS)
15. Leo Bosh (CAS)
16. Tyzac Bailey (CAS) or D. Chipizuboy (ISA) half backs/no 10s
17. Jordan Morris IC (CAS)
18. Taulogo Lalaga no 15 (CAS)
19. Jeremy Abdullah no 12 (CCC)
20. Ethan Micallef no 3 (CAS)

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, if they are not committed to Union for the season, stop selecting them and let them play their league. Select kids that are committed.

Somewhat of a narrow view. The experience may influence their decicions in the future and Rugby is not strong on the coast. How many past and present super 14 players have played both?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If it is anything like previous years, and the word on the street is that there will be games involving NSW Country, Sydney Juniors, and NSW Schools selections, don't get too wrapped up in the selections for NSW Schools.

I suppose these games will be played in the next school holiday period, the time of year when the U/16 nationals were usually held.

Is that right?

It's a pity that there is no national U/16 tournament anymore but at least watching such NSW matches as quoted above will be useful for the U/17 Junior Gold Cup centre people in NSW to have a look at to help with 2015 selections.

And one hopes that the form of the Under 15 lads in the JGC this year are on a clipboard somewhere for consideration for next year's NSW Under 16 teams.

S

sidelineview

there must be more players in the SJRU comp in comparison to NSW schools players

Status
Not open for further replies.