• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Suburban Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Balmain 50 - Oatley 10. Ouch. Think you can just about close the book on the Barraclough Cup for 2012.

We had a pretty good day against UNSW at their place. Lost 4s and colts narrowly, lost 2s comfortably and won 3s and 1s. The latter was the highlight of the day, we had an early lead but UNSW came back hard and were up 21-10 and looking very comfortable. However we clawed our way back into the contest, and followed a penalty with a try to take it to 21-18 with minutes to play. On the buzzer we were camped on the Uni line, and finally created the opportunity out wide, only to have our openside drop it with the line open. Luckily we had the advantage, so with time up we had a penalty under the sticks to draw the match. But in true subbies style we took the quick tap, wildly flung it wide and our winger beat two tacklers to score. KOBs win 25-21 in a thriller.

Marley, to answer your earlier question, UNSW are as they always are- a well drilled club accross the board. They aren't world beaters in any grade, but at the same time you will never have a soft win. Their firsts should have beaten us, their kicker missed three or four easy shots and they ran out of puff in the last 10. But the day was played in great spirit and we had a great time (obviously the finish in 1s made things a little sweeter).

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
SS- How are we similar - I also used to play against Uni in my grade days, so interested to know?

Did you like the banner ? :cool: (37 metres long by 3 metres high)

Attachments

• 179993_10150778068695796_731105795_9604237_1744476688_n.jpeg
    179993_10150778068695796_731105795_9604237_1744476688_n.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 320

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
thought on the field, very clynical, each grade well drilled and knew their place even players who you could tell where the "stars" of each team just did what was best for the team no one out stuff which is what we at oatley usually do. overall just strong uncompromising rugby which i think is a trademark of uni so very comendable that balmain were able to do a similar style of play

However off the field, thought there was abit too much over kill. officials running around in blazers all suited up etc, that massive sign came across as a little bit wanky i know you guys have the cash but unless you got it for free surely that money could have been better spent else where, just came across as being a tad elitist and trying too hard for what is second division suburban football.....but hey you guys are doing great on the field and are financially well off it so if thats what it takes to keep going foward then so be it.

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Cheers SS.

Yeah we are pretty happy so far as a club with the on field play, we know its early days but the structures we have put in place seem to be paying off.

For the off field stuff, the guys in suits were the Old Boys.
It was our annual Old boys’ day and that was the decided dress for the Old boys in attendance.
(Many of the Old boys are now coaches in the lower grades, hence the reason they may have stood out).
I can guarantee they wouldn’t normally dress that way for home (or away) games!

As for the banner, Yes it was donated by a sponsor (no club funds were used).
It's our ‘warcry’ (so to speak) our boys loved it and I guess it’s more for them to get some extra motivation and unashamedly get some mental edge over your opponent.
Although yes I know it looks wanky, if I was an opposition player, I'd no doubt think it was a wank as well, but I think that's part of the point..

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Cheers SS.

Yeah we are pretty happy so far as a club with the on field play, we know its early days but the structures we have put in place seem to be paying off.

For the off field stuff, the guys in suits were the Old Boys.
It was our annual Old boys’ day and that was the decided dress for the Old boys in attendance.
(Many of the Old boys are now coaches in the lower grades, hence the reason they may have stood out).
I can guarantee they wouldn’t normally dress that way for home (or away) games!

As for the banner, Yes it was donated by a sponsor (no club funds were used).
It's our ‘warcry’ (so to speak) our boys loved it and I guess it’s more for them to get some extra motivation and unashamedly get some mental edge over your opponent.
Although yes I know it looks wanky, if I was an opposition player, I'd no doubt think it was a wank as well, but I think that's part of the point..

haha fair enough then mate, was a great day, thanks for having us (and showing us how to play footy :oops:)

M

Marley

Southsider. You were stating the "Stars" for balmain. Just curious to who you think they were or who played well? becasuse i just checked the Subbies rep squads and found there was no balmain players even though they are clearly winning and is a stand-out team..

Wish i got down to the game but unfortunately missed it.

Cheers Barbarian for answering the question about UNSW. They sound like Sydney Uni little brother team or something lol with structure ect but obviously noway near in other words :cool:

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Petersham Vs Balmain is on this weekend starting with 5th grades all the way to 1st! Any thoughts on how that will end?

I hear there is a big rivalry!

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
One thing is for sure, you can throw all form out the window when it comes to Balmain & Petersham battles.
Whoever wants it more on the day, usually wins...Looking forward to it!

Also an extra incentive is, If Balmain wins - the Toxeth (Petersham's Sponsor) have to put on a keg for the Balmain players back at the pub!
Dicks will be honoring the bet on the return clash in Balmain in August.

Gotta love subbies rugby!

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
looking at the tables and previous results - both teams are going well across the board.. Balmain's 1st and 2nd clearly on fire, Petersham's 2nd, 3rds, 4ths and 5ths are doing well!

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Good on St George RUFC. That's what Rugby is about. Or at least should be, inclusive of all regardless of circumstance.
Played a season in 05 with them, only one or two deaf players back then, struggled big time in 3rd div, good to see them back up, no. 21 is a good player if getting on a bit now. I was down watching that day, Carss Park prettiest ground in sydney

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
On sadder note, can a club fall any harder than Chatswood have in the last 10 years? Couldnt beat them at home in 05 with 4 teams, now winless at the bottom of 6th div. Could they fold? I even remember recruitment signs in the carpark of Naremburm oval in 03, Gordon's training ground!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Southsider. You were stating the "Stars" for balmain. Just curious to who you think they were or who played well? becasuse i just checked the Subbies rep squads and found there was no balmain players even though they are clearly winning and is a stand-out team..

Wish i got down to the game but unfortunately missed it.

Cheers Barbarian for answering the question about UNSW. They sound like Sydney Uni little brother team or something lol with structure ect but obviously noway near in other words :cool:

sorry for the late reply...um was talking about the club in general just not 1st grade, you know how every team has a few players that could probs play a team or two higher. as for 1st grade wasnt really paying that close attention was just enjoying the game:D sorry

K

Keithy

Sad to hear about Mo Ravuvu, from Newport passing away. I played with Mo in the 90's and he could do some amazing things. RIP Mo

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Only met Moape a couple of times, but always found him to be a cheerful bloke. I know that his family and the whole Newport Rugby Club must be hurting badly. It has been a tragic week for Subbies Rugby with the death of Hills player, Andrew Heffernan (in a hit and run at Castle Hill) and Moape.

At Epping, we will be wearing black armbands today to honour both men, as well as the father of one of our own.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Great to see BOB's knock off the dirty reds in 1st grade, i know they were missing their rep players, but in 1.5 years we have beaten them in first grade twice and lost by a point!

Huge round vs Hunter Hill this week, we need the club champs points!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Subbies Man vs Food round. Subbies staff will be going around the grounds testing out the quality of different clubs' signature bbq speciality.

At Epping, they'll be knocking over the Ramburger: Sausage, Bacon, Egg and Caramelised Onions.

What do other clubs have to offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.