• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 - schools, NSWJRU / SJRU / CRJU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
Sure. But you can only play what is in front of you. Grant and king aren't small both near 90kg and both a lot quicker than anyone at Scots or kings. Look forward to the games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has anyone seen the U 16 Schools Trials Competition Manual or a Draw or anything for this weekend at Knox?

IIRC, you used to be able to download these from the NSW Schools Website in the past.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Has anyone seen the U 16 Schools Trials Competition Manual or a Draw or anything for this weekend at Knox?

IIRC, you used to be able to download these from the NSW Schools Website in the past.

The draw for Friday U18 & Saturday / Sunday U16 Championships is now up in the news section of the NSWSRU website.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting Draw once again.

Potentially a GPS 1 vs GPS 2 final.

ISA beat CHS in yesterday's trial and as a reward draw the red hot favourite for the title in Game 1, with the consequence that the best they can hope for is coming "5th" if they do not beat GPS 1.

Meanwhile one of AICES or Country can finish no lower than 4th.

Imagine if ISA win game 1 by some fluke and face off against GPS 2 in the final with GPS 1 playing off for 6th/7th in the Bowl Final.

Anything is possible.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Sure. But you can only play what is in front of you. Grant and king aren't small both near 90kg and both a lot quicker than anyone at Scots or kings. Look forward to the games.
The Grant & King discussion is pointless. One plays league, the other afl. These boys never seem to make themselves available to be considered along side and or against the best players in the age group. Until they either trial and show their stuff , or actually run and win a GPS 100, the whole discussion is a waste of time. We are much better focussing on the merits and abilities of young men that are dedicated to the game and are prepared to put themselves through the highs and lows of being selected or missing out. Until they are prepared to do that I can't get on board the band wagon...if they do prove themselves, then brilliant.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Presidents 1st XV hit the ground running and scored a try in the 1st 5 minutes and failed to convert, Once the ISA forwards took control the Presidents star back line became irrelevant. ISA scored before the break wide on the end of one of the few good back line movements of the game, without converting.
ISA remained camped I. The Presidents 1/3 for well over 15 minutes of the 2nd half without taking points
Presidents win 5-5 and ISA continue to play for 5th place???

I don't think any of the lads on the field will feel that way

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Presidents 1st XV hit the ground running and scored a try in the 1st 5 minutes and failed to convert, Once the ISA forwards took control the Presidents star back line became irrelevant. ISA scored before the break wide on the end of one of the few good back line movements of the game, without converting.
ISA remained camped I. The Presidents 1/3 for well over 15 minutes of the 2nd half without taking points
Presidents win 5-5 and ISA continue to play for 5th place???

I don't think any of the lads on the field will feel that way

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wood Rat, It is almost as predicted above. ISA were the second best team at U16 last year, but yet the draw consigned them to the 3rd v 4th playoff.

This year it sounds as if they are comparatively better and yet they will finish no better than 5th.

Hardly sounds fair.

It is so unfair of the ISA to draw with the predestined favourites. The President must have to increase the salary cap to restore the natural and predetermined state of affairs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guilty as charged, but in my defence M'Lud I will submit that the last document I saw on the Under 16 Schools tournament stated that the draw was based on seeded positions based on previous performance.

I can't recall too many tournaments where Seed 1 plays Seed 2 in the opening match, with the prospect that the loser can finish no higher than 5th place.

I also did postulate that there was a distinct possibility that GPS A could also find themselves on the wrong side of that result, which appears to have been 1 conversion away from happening.

Fairness in tournaments (especially knockout ones) is based on shaping things such that all things being "normal" the better teams should progress to a point where the two best teams face off in the final. If an underdog knocks off a favoured team, then they deserve to reap the rewards of an "easy" run in the draw until they face up to the Final.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Just to highlight how much pres1 luck was in the ISA kicker converted 9/9 in a 63-0 win over country Including plenty from the sideline

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And if I read the draw correctly:

"Meanwhile one of AICES or Country can finish no lower than 4th."

So AICES beat Country in Game 2, and I assume lost to GPS A in Game 6 and therefore are in 3rd/4th play off Plate Final game.

I reserve the right to not be surprised when the NSW Schools U16 team is not full of AICES players.

If those dastardly selectors DARE to choose more than one or two boys from the team that comes 5th, then we may see a Hugh rant. Either Selectors or Organisers, but someone will probably cop it.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
D
Just to highlight how much pres1 luck was in the ISA kicker converted 9/9 in a 63-0 win over country Including plenty from the sideline

Don't forget the GPS kicker, Storey also missed a relatively easy goal conversion in front that hit the uprights. I do agree though that the top 4 teams are Pres A, Pres B, ISA and CHS. It would be good to have a real round robin over two weekends as you don't gain much information when teams run in 60+ points to 0. Best games have been ISA/Pres A and CHS/Pres B.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Now THAT would be a Friday detention if it had cost the game, and put GPS A into the 5th v 6th play off.:)

Any results summary?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see the injustice of last year when GPS 2 had the humiliation of drawing with CCC in the 5th/6th playoff has been righted and we have a GPS v GPS final.

I look forward to seeing some AICES boys in the NSW Schools team.

Status
Not open for further replies.