• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW V QLD hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
fatprop said:
Baxter in tight head prop years in just getting into maturity.

that's going a little easy on him mate. He's 32. Most ex-props will say 27/28. A professional era prop you could argue should be a bit younger, particularly a career prop like Baxter (as opposed to a relocated prop like Richard Harry etc). He's been in the Wallaby team for 6 years now which is a fair grace period. I remember hearing about him around the time of his NSW debut, even before that, running around for Norths (I was in Sydney at the time) and he was promoted as this highly skilled, tough as teak, mobile prop who could play both sides. That was a decade a go. He's playing damn well, but if he's only maturing now, he's a couple of years behind the bell curve.

I tend to agree that it has taken far too long, but he was inflicted with the Jones Wallaby years where scrummaging was not a priority. Since Foley started with him (and the whole Aus squad) there has been slow, but steady improvement.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
fatprop said:
he was inflicted with the Jones Wallaby years where scrummaging was not a priority.

Yep - just imagine the embarrassment we could have avoided if we hadn't picked that little wall-eyed turd in the first place. Anyone backing him now, especially given his bullshit attempt to get into the league arena, is a clown.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
fatprop said:
he was inflicted with the Jones Wallaby years where scrummaging was not a priority.

Yep - just imagine the embarrassment we could have avoided if we hadn't picked that little wall-eyed turd in the first place. Anyone backing him now, especially given his bullshit attempt to get into the league arena, is a clown.

That clown fooled enough of the people enough of the time for a long while. How? ??? Beyond me. ::)

The most telling thing against Eddie I can recall is his development of personnel. At the end of RWC 2003, it was obvious to all that the Wallabies lacked class first-choice and back-ups at 1,2,3,9,10,12 and 13. I think that Eddie, in the next two years, trialled three "new" players in those positions and gave them a total of 100 minutes' playing time. My figures may be a little out, but they could be a very long way out and still give the strongest condemnation. Anyone still wonder why the Wallabies have lacked depth in recent years?

Status
Not open for further replies.