• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I've foolishly committed to spending Finals weekend cleaning up the homestead but should TMN make the Final & should that Final be in the North Island I'm hopeful of demanding/ grovelling for leave to attend :) Best chance appears to be Wanganui getting it together v NO then knocking over SC to set up a repeat of the famous 1993 NPC Division Three Grand Final.

Geez and we all remember the day in 93 WOB, still remember the team bus stopping at all pubs etc in Levin when they goy home to thank supporters etc. Was a good day in the Nua

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^ I stupidly went fishing at Cape Paliser that weekend but do remember Fat Boyz bar replaying the game continuously for ~2 weeks!

Re: the O'Donnell boy, obviously I knew Paul & knew of "Midge" - any relation?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Aucks & Cantabs have met 99 times prior to tonight for 47 wins each & five draws, I'd have guessed something like 55-44 in Aucks favour myself given their domination of NZ rugby in the 80's & 90's whereas Cant'y have had most of their success in the last 15-20 years.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
If you needed any further proof that Tony Johnson must suffer from some sort of learning disability, he just rambled on about how none Auckland's faults are of White's making. Yes, you womble, I'm sure the correlation between quality of performance and quality of coaching over the last few years is utterly spurious.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you needed any further proof that Tony Johnson must suffer from some sort of learning disability, he just rambled on about how none Auckland's faults are of White's making. Yes, you womble, I'm sure the correlation between quality of performance and quality of coaching over the last few years is utterly spurious.

There was a time, a few years ago now, that I actually thought that TJ was a reasonable commentator. Unfortunately he has succumbed to the fate that befalls many in the media - believing that they must be a "personality" - and, even worse in a match caller - believing that we are interested in his opinion. I'm sad to say that most of the Kiwi callers have progressed down this path. Of course the Kiwi callers were well beaten on the race to the bottom by Australian match callers. But that's small comfort to any of us. Perhaps it is my fading memory but surely it wasn't that long ago that Kiwi match callers were simply the best. (Perhaps they still are but it's a shallow pool.) Maybe it's a case of "things were better back then".

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Highlights:

Was mentioned in commentary that only Auckland & Canterbury have been in the top flyght of every NPC format since it began in 1976.

Auckland (16) still have the most titles ahead of Canterbury (13) then its way back to Wellington with four. Otago & Waikato have two each, and Bay of Plenty (1976 when the AB went to SA), Counties (1979), Manawatu (1980) & Taranaki (2014) have also won titles.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Jesus Christ these cards are getting out of control. When did they start penalising "leading with the shoulder" (different form a shoulder charge)? How are you supposed to tackle? Lead with your head NFL style?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^ I stupidly went fishing at Cape Paliser that weekend but do remember Fat Boyz bar replaying the game continuously for ~2 weeks!

Re: the O'Donnell boy, obviously I knew Paul & knew of "Midge" - any relation?

yep Peter is Paul and Midge's younger brother

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Wanganui making the Meads Cup SF on points difference means that Mid Cant'y & West Coast, who both finished on the same points as Wanganui but with lower differentials, will host Poverty Bay & North Otago, respectively, in the Lochore Cup SF.

Meanwhile Piri Weepu has called time on his career:

http://www.heartlandchampionship.co.nz/News/31609/piri-weepu-hangs-up-the-boots

Allegedly when he first turned up to WB training some of the younger guys thought he was there to play prop or hooker!

M10 Premiership SF sorted: Taranaki v Tasman & Canterbury v North Harbour. In the Championship Bay of Plenty will host Otago & Wellington either Northland if Manawatu lose to Hawkes Bay today, or Manawatu if they beat HB.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Found out the other day that Bailey Simonnson, who finished up at Newington College last year, had made the move across the Tasman from the Bulldogs u20s to the Bay of Plenty squad. Seen him a number of time at schoolboy level, anyone know if he has made it on for BOP? Would be interested to see how he's travelling.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I can understand Manawatu putting out their best XV for the Shield Challenge but in hindsight maybe they should've rested some guys & targeted the far more beatable Bay. Instead they've dropped both & come 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.