• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Been watching a few old game of super over weekend. Was watching a 2012 game between Highlanders and Chiefs yesterday, few things stuck out in a pretty entertaining game.
1 I am not convinced that law changes since then have made game any better.
2 Highlanders had young fella come on as replacement for Jimmy Cowan, kid looks pretty good even at this young ahe, good pass, and bugger me he not backwards in letting the forwards know where he wants them. Think his name is Aaron Smith or something.
3 The Chiefs got some good players Liam Neeson etc, and a fella playing his first super game, tall bugger by name of Brodei retallic.

Was a bloody good watch.:)
Sky ruined it all by playing a Crusdaers/Canes game where the Canes got well and truly towelled up :mad:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just watching a NPC 3rd division game from 2002 on tv and see North Otago have got a really good wing Fifita, and kind of made me think , is there a surname that comes up more in Rugby union around us and NZ (few leaugies too I think)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And just finished watching another 3rd div game, The Mighty Nua vs King Country, from both e and WOBs old stamping ground. Really enjoyed it, was about 5 years after I moved to Aussie so didn't know a lot of the players. The good guys one but the thing that stuck out for me was how we allowed rucking. By geez I bet there were some tags on backs next morning, all body stuff etc, and right in front of ref, who just let it go or penalised the fella getting rucked for being in way. Was great to see.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't find the article but during the week NZR Comps Manager Steve Lancaster was quoted as saying NPC, Farah Palmer Cup & Heartland Finals weekend could be as late as the last weekend in November. With Auckland likely staying in full lockdown until the end of September & probably Level 3 for a further two weeks after that, even late November may not leave enough time for full comps :(

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can't find the article but during the week NZR Comps Manager Steve Lancaster was quoted as saying NPC, Farah Palmer Cup & Heartland Finals weekend could be as late as the last weekend in November. With Auckland likely staying in full lockdown until the end of September & probably Level 3 for a further two weeks after that, even late November may not leave enough time for full comps
Saw him speaking about it to WOB, was saying they may have to double up , or even carry on without Northern teams, said they were still workong out scenarios.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ jaysus, if they go down the "no Aux" route there'll be riots from Pokeno to Kumeu & Wellsford (Otahuhuans won't notice the difference, tho :)).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NPC & Farah Palmer Cup to resume minus Auckland, North Harbour & Counties-Manukau on 17/09, those three will play catch-up midweekers when Aux is out of lockdown. Appears Heartland will commence 18/09.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NPC & Farah Palmer Cup to resume minus Auckland, North Harbour & Counties-Manukau on 17/09, those three will play catch-up midweekers when Aux is out of lockdown. Appears Heartland will commence 18/09.

Was happy to read that WOB, now we need to get back to level 1 , so I can actually get to some games!!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

National changes include reducing tackle height, enhancing breakdown and scrums and ensuring players remain grounded whilst contesting high balls, in a bid to reduce aerial collisions.

I'm guessing no fullbacks were consulted here. I mean, it will reduce aerial collisions by virtue of no one being allowed to jump. On the other hand, no jumping for catches is going to lead to fullbacks and wingers being sitting ducks waiting patiently to get fucken demolished by chasers. Just chuck up a lazy box kick and send your ~105 kg loosies off like ballistic missiles to go murder whatever poor ~85 kg bastard is brave enough to catch the pill of death. Tbh I wouldn't blame anyone for just deciding not to bother trying catching box kicks, especially if you've been battered by the aforementioned ballistic missiles a few times already, and just let it devolve into the bounce-of-the-ball lottery.

If you absolutely have to do something then just don't allow chasers to jump or not allow them to enter within 1m of the catcher. That or bring back ye olde mark from anywhere on the field.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I'm guessing no fullbacks were consulted here. I mean, it will reduce aerial collisions by virtue of no one being allowed to jump. On the other hand, no jumping for catches is going to lead to fullbacks and wingers being sitting ducks waiting patiently to get fucken demolished by chasers. Just chuck up a lazy box kick and send your ~105 kg loosies off like ballistic missiles to go murder whatever poor ~85 kg bastard is brave enough to catch the pill of death. Tbh I wouldn't blame anyone for just deciding not to bother trying catching box kicks, especially if you've been battered by the aforementioned ballistic missiles a few times already, and just let it devolve into the bounce-of-the-ball lottery.

If you absolutely have to do something then just don't allow chasers to jump or not allow them to enter within 1m of the catcher. That or bring back ye olde mark from anywhere on the field.
Was just reading it zer0, I got impression that most of rules will be trialled at schoolboy level to keep kids safe I think, and selected club comps will probably be lower level etc, maybe such things as leaping in the air etc are hardly ever used. I have talked to mates a few times with mid air collisions, and tried to work out whether eventually leaping will be banned, can't see it making difference to FBs etc as they sitting ducks when they come dowm anyway. I cannot for life of me remember wings and fullbacks etc ever leaping for ball when I played.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Was thinking about this wrt to the JBar thing & wondering if WR (World Rugby) might look at reinstating the mark anywhere on the field.

I don't think it's practical to say a chaser has to stay a certain distance away from a kick receiver whilst they're in the air as it nullifies the contest which I think would be an overreaction to what's a fairly uncommon occurrence.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was thinking about this wrt to the JBar thing & wondering if WR (World Rugby) might look at reinstating the mark anywhere on the field.

I don't think it's practical to say a chaser has to stay a certain distance away from a kick receiver whilst they're in the air as it nullifies the contest which I think would be an overreaction to what's a fairly uncommon occurrence.
Yeah I was watching a game from NH last week, where player who came forward leapt up to compete for ball, and got carded becuase he collided with opposition player who won the ball. The refs reason for YC, his words were 'you were jumping forward' so ref felt both jumper had to go directly up! They really need to give refs more help on what is right or wrong.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NPC to re-launch next Friday without the Auckland teams. Only Round 3 fixtures announced so far, they'll wait to see what happens wrt Auckland's lockdown on Monday before scheduling more (all indications are that Auckland will stay in lockdown for at least another week). Farah Palmer Cup draw is also contingent on when Auckland comes out of lockdown so no draw for that just yet.

NPC Draw Week Three
Friday 17th September7.05pmWaikato v CanterburyFMG Stadium Waikato
Saturday 18th September2.05pmTaranaki v WellingtonTET Stadium
Saturday 18th September4.35pmNorthland v TasmanSemenoff Stadium
Sunday 19th September2.05pmHawke’s Bay v Bay of Plenty (RS)McLean Park

No locked-down Heartland provinces so a full draw has been released:

Sad to see they've dropped SF for Meads & Lochore Cups, hopefully it's a one-off due to time constraints.

Community rugby can resume from next weekend as well but it's up to individual Unions to work through that with local & health authorities.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hallelujah WOB, NPC again, my life will be worth living again!!!!:)
Top it off Mrs Dan off to some craft thing down Fielding way next weekend, so house to myself and rugby all weekend is working for me!!
Mrs asked if I was going to drop her off in Fielding and stay there or at daughter's in Levin , bugger off a rugby weekend on my own sounds as close to heaven as I could want. Only one small fly in oinment, level 2 so no crowd otherwise I would be at TET stadium Sat for Naki/Wgton game.
With a bit of luck they will pick up the big colege games too finish the national comp!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway we got some alright games this week, Waikato/ Canterbury friday night (will we see Big Sam for Canterbury?), Saturday Naki/Wellington. (same quetion about Colesy), Northland/Tasman (Frizell) and then of course shield match sunday is also battle of the Bays! Plus Heartland underway again, local college U15 team playing final in Stratford sat morning, and of course test Sat night, life is looking good again. Especially as the craft beer brewery in Stratford will be open again so can refill beer frifge!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NPC Draw Week Four
Friday 24th September7.05pmTasman v WaikatoTrafalgar Park
Saturday 25th September2.05pmManawatu v NorthlandCentral Energy Trust Arena
Saturday 25th September4.05pmSouthland v CanterburyRugby Park
Sunday 26th September2.05pmWellington v Hawke’s BaySky Stadium
Sunday 26th September4.35pmBay of Plenty v TaranakiTauranga Domain

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wonder when rest of ABs will leave to meet up with the team in USA. Just trying to work out how many NPC games Sam W, and co will get in. Will Nugget get a run or 2 with Manawatu? Frizell with Tasman (his charges have been dropped after diversion), and whoever else will go over if any.