• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Championship Final teams:

Taranaki: Stephen Perofeta, Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens, Daniel Waite, Tei Walden, Kini Naholo, Jayson Potroz, Logan Crowley, Pita Gus Sowakula, Tom Florence, Bradley Slater, Mickey Wolliams, Kaylum Boshier, Michael Bent, Ricky Riccitelli, Jared Proffit. Reserves: Mills Sanerivi, Donald Brighouse, Kyle Stewart, Scott Jury, Mitchell Croswell, Liam Blyde, Daniel Rona, Vereniki Tikoisolomone.

Otago: Sam Gilbert, Freedom Vahaakolo, Matt Faddes, Sio Tomkinson, Vilimoni Koroi, Josh Ioane, Kayne Hammington, Christian Lio-Willie, James Lentjes (c), Sam Fischli, Josh Dickson, Joshua Hill, Jermaine Ainsley, Liam Coltman, Josh Hohneck. Reserves: Ricky Jackson, Abraham Pole, Tau Koloamatangi, Fabian Holland, Slade McDowall, James Arscott, Cameron Millar, Raymond Nu’u.

Premiership Final teams:

Waikato: Ryan Tongia, Liam Coombes-Fabling, Bailyn Sullivan, Gideon Wrampling, Mosese Dawai, D’Angelo Leuila, Cortez Ratima, Jack Lam, Mitch Jacobson, Samipeni Finau, Hamilton Burr, James Tucker, George Dyer, Rhys Marshall, Ayden Johnstone (c). Reserves: Steven Misa, Ollie Norris, Sefo Kautai, Rupeni Tamani, Liam Messam, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Fletcher Smith, Beaudein Waaka.

Tasman: Andrew Knewstubb, Timoci Tavatavanawai, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Alex Nankivell, Regan Ware, Mitchell Hunt (cc), Louie Chapman, Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta, Anton Segner, Jacob Norris, Quinten Strange (cc), Antonio Shalfoon, Sam Matenga, Andrew Makalio, Isi Tuungafasi. Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Luca Inch, Isaac Salmon, Max Hicks, Hugh Renton, Noah Hotham, Macca Springer, Levi Aumua.

Surprised to see Segner there, his shoulder looked pretty well busted when he came off last week, I'm guessing he's had a cortisone shot or two & they're punting on that getting him through.

Realistically this is Mooloos' Final to lose, a Mako win would be a huge upset.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Missed it live due to 2pm kickoff (seriously, with Daylight Saving in effect it's no darker at 5:30/6pm than 3:30/4 so not sure what the point in the earlier time was) but looks like 'naki were worthy winners:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Missed it live due to 2pm kickoff (seriously, with Daylight Saving in effect it's no darker at 5:30/6pm than 3:30/4 so not sure what the point in the earlier time was) but looks like 'naki were worthy winners:

I think the early time is to let people get home to watch the other final, I had it all worked out if I had been able to get tickets! I could of got home with plenty to spare, or a little to spare if I stopped for beer. ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well another bloody good final, real worthy game, loved it!! Waikato deserved it and 3 points seemed about right.
I have to say I do like the look of young Segner for Tasman, reckon he got future AB written all over him. Reminds me of a young Richie McCaw or Sam Cane.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just heard on Mainfreight Rugby that the Bill Osborne Taonga will become a challenge trophy for the Heartland unions. Great innovation & I'm thinking it won't take long to become more important than the various inter-union trophies, cups & shields out there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just heard on Mainfreight Rugby that the Bill Osborne Taonga will become a challenge trophy for the Heartland unions. Great innovation & I'm thinking it won't take long to become more important than the various inter-union trophies, cups & shields out there.
Yep read that last week and thought it a great idea WOB! And agree suspect it will become most sought after tropthy!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hopefully they getting rid of championship next season, if the 14 unions agree, they trying to sort it out before xmas!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I'd still prefer full-round-robin, if the window is only 12 weeks I'm actually coming around to the idea of North & South Pools. Premiership & Championship teams are much the same from one year to the next so it probably doesn't make that much difference provided there's still crossover matches & those are rotated.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's Awards time & the nominees are:

New Zealand Rugby Referee of the Year:

James Doleman (Otago)
Ben O'Keeffe (Auckland)
Tiana Ngawati (Bay of Plenty)

Charles Monro Rugby Volunteer of the Year:

Paul Batters (Counties Manukau)
Peter Chaplin (Canterbury)
Greg Heller (Otago)

New Zealand Rugby Age Grade Player of the Year:

Chay Fihaki (Canterbury)
Josh Lord (Taranaki)
Soane Vikena (Auckland)

Heartland Championship Player of the Year:

Hone Haerewa (Ngāti Porou East Coast)
Willie Wright (South Canterbury)
Stefan Destounis (Poverty Bay)

Duane Monkley Medal:

Lincoln McClutchie (Hawke's Bay)
Stephen Perofeta (Taranaki)
Luke Romano (Canterbury)

Fiao'o Faamausili Medal:

Grace Houpapa-Barrett (Waikato)
Krystal Murray (Northland)
Joanah Ngan-Woo (Wellington)

National Coach of the Year:

Neil Barnes (Taranaki NPC)
Ross Filipo (Waikato NPC)
Scott Robertson (Crusaders)
James Semple (Waikato Farah Palmer Cup)

Super Rugby Player of the Year:

Richie Mo'unga (Canterbury)
Dalton Papalii (Counties Manukau)
Aaron Smith (Manawatū)

Tom French Memorial Māori Player of the Year:

Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay)
Sarah Hirini (Manawatū)
Aaron Smith (Manawatū)

Richard Crawshaw Memorial All Blacks Sevens Player of the Year:

Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty)
Andrew Knewstubb (Tasman)
Ngarohi McGarvey-Black (Ngāti Porou East Coast)

Black Ferns Sevens Player of the Year:

Gayle Broughton (Taranaki)
Sarah Hirini (Manawatū)
Tyla Nathan-Wong (Northland)

Black Ferns Player of the Year:

Les Elder (Bay of Plenty)
Kennedy Simon (Waikato)
Liana Mikaele-Tu'u (Auckland)

All Blacks Player of the Year:

Jordie Barrett (Taranaki)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland)
Will Jordan (Tasman)
Ardie Savea (Wellington)

National Team of the Year:

Crusaders
South Canterbury
Waikato Farah Palmer Cup
Waikato NPC

No Awards dinner due to Covid but winners announced on Sky at 8pm on 15/12.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Gayle Broughton (Taranaki)
Actually for a quick name drop, getting the hair mowed down at one of local barber's shops a few weeks back, young person getting haircut next to me had a gold medal sitting on bench in front, and was obviously a regular and pretty good mates of the people in shop, and realised that's who it was as I left. So guessing that's the closest I will get to a Gold medal from olympics.

And I would say on the awards, there are actually quite a few that it will be interesting to see who picks them up.