• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The state funeral for Shane Warne is being held at the MCG on Wednesday 30 March. Very glad they're holding it somewhere relevant and with capacity for all. I reckon I'll try to get down there for it. Strange to willingly attend a funeral but I'd like to pay my respects in person.

A lot has been written about the man but his loss feels sharp. He's been a constant figure in my sporting and Melbourne lives, even though I never met him. His statue outside the members' stand is wreathed in flowers, cards, cricket balls, durries, tinnies and cans of baked beans. A nice mix of sadness and humour.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
DIdn't expect it to affect me as much as it has. I had issues with Warnie as a commentator at times, but his massive presence in world cricket and what I've heard about the positive impact he had on others off the field can't be denied. That and the fact that he's a similar age to me.

I think a send off at the 'G is pretty fitting.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have a standing order from a seppo indie label boss that if I EVER see a Japan pressing of "Eternally Yours" I am to buy it for him AT ANY PRICE.

That said, "All Fools Day" is my fave LP of theirs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
mmm in the 80's he was playing weekly in the pubs around Sydney

this is the track on high rotation at the moment

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Jack Newton, golfer, aged 72. Won the Australian Open in 1979, lost the British Open in a play-off with Tom Watson in 1975, tied for second in the US Masters in 1980. After walking into an aeroplane propeller in 1983 and losing his right arm and eye, became a huge influence in developing junior golf in Australia. A huge character!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ray Liotta, 67. Perfect excuse to watch Goodfellas for the millionth time.

Edit: whether by coincidence or not, it was on Sky Movies Classics straight after CruSadists v Reds so I didn't even have to dig out the DVD.

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
RIP Jim Lenehan, SIC 1956. Set a GPS age hurdles record which stood for decades. 24 tests, NSW and Australian captain (dunno if it was the Wallabies as in Jim's day they were only the British Isles touring side).

Notable for his long punt kicks. One game against a Welsh club Jim received the ball in his in-goal and punted it downfield; it rolled over the dead-ball line the other end.

Founding player of the famous Wagga Waratahs in 1959 when they won the comp. There were two internationals in that inaugural side, Beres
Ellwood being the other.

Vale Jim. Well played.