• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With the repechage starting in Monaco overnight our time, how's probably a good time to recap who has already qualified & who's in the repechage.

IMG_1104.JPG

Repechage Pools are:

Men - one to qualify
Pool A Samoa, Ireland, Zimbabwe, Tonga, Mexico
Pool B France, Hong Kong, Chile, Jamaica, Uganda*

* Edit: Uganda's Pool matches are showing as "cancelled" but there's no explanation on the tournament website. Very odd.

Women - two to qualify
Pool A Russia, Argentina, Samoa, Mexico
Pool B Tunisia, Kazakhstan, PNG, Jamaica*
Pool C France, Hong Kong, Madagascar, Colombia

* Edit: Jamaica withdrew due to travel arrangement issues & their Pool matches are being treated as byes with no points awarded.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With one round of Pool play left Samoa, Ireland, France & Hong Kong are unbeaten in the men's draw while in the women's Russia, Argentina, Kazakhstan, France & HK are unbeaten albeit Kazakhstan have only played once.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Related note: reffed a couple of games at the Sydney Womens 7s at St Ives on Sunday, and ran the flag for a few others. Amy Perrett was there getting some match fitness in the higher quality matches. Spent some time out of the rain with the other refs, and talking to her Dad, who is a lovely bloke.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Can't find a QF draw for Tokyo but at Rio it was top two from each Pool & two of the 3rd-placers. So I think that means if Au finish second in their Pool they get the winner of Pool C.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
You would think that Pool B in the men's will be the easiest to get out of for the top two. I would think pool A 3rd place will go though as all three top teams will run up scores against South Korea giving a good for and against. US and SA will go 1 and two but the other game will be tight and likely low for and against.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No Chloe Dalton for the Women's side after breaking her cheekbone and needing surgery.

Real shame as she'd worked hard to return to the side after back surgery and this injury came late in the last game and was accidental contact in a tackle with a teammate.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ teams have been named:

Men: Tim Mikkelson (co-c), Scott Curry (co-c), Dylan Collier, Tone Ng Shiu, Sam Dickson, Andrew Knewstubb, Ngarohi McGarvey-Black, Sione Molia, Kurt Baker, Joe Webber, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Regan Ware. Travelling reserves: William Warbrick, Caleb Clarke, Amanaki Nicole.

Women: Portia Woodman, Sarah Hirini (c), Ruby Tui, Tyla Nathan-Wong, Theresa Fitzpatrick, Stacey Fluhler, Michaela Blyde, Alena Saili, Risaleaana Pouri-Lane, Kelly Brazier, Gayle Broughton, Shiray Kaka. Travelling reserves: Tenika Willison, Jazmin Hotham, Terina Te Tamaki.

Re: Au men's prospects I think a lot will depend on how strong a squad SA are able to assemble given their Covid situation, obviously the more depleted SA are the likelier it is Au can progress beyond QF.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^ Can't find a QF draw for Tokyo but at Rio it was top two from each Pool & two of the 3rd-placers. So I think that means if Au finish second in their Pool they get the winner of Pool C.

Re: Au men's prospects I think a lot will depend on how strong a squad SA are able to assemble given their Covid situation, obviously the more depleted SA are the likelier it is Au can progress beyond QF.

I'm not saying I necessarily have a differing opinion, but it seems quite apparent that the only scenario you are considering is that NZ win the pool.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
That's a weak NZ team. Way too many plodders. They'll be lucky to medal. Aus def a chance of upsetting them in pool play.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't find it on the WR (World Rugby) website but apparently "...one travelling reserve each for the All Blacks Sevens and Black Ferns will be available to start in games in Tokyo after a change to the alternate replacement by the IOC..... Teams will now be able to pick from the 12 selected players and the alternative reserve in the starting 12 for each match in the tournament, whereas previously the travelling reserves were only able to be used as permanent injury replacements."

The two NZ players to benefit are William Warbrick & Tenika Willison.

Speaking of permanent injury replacements Sam Dickson is out, replaced by Amanaki Nicole.