• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Coward also didn't get enough minutes - if you put 2 of Longbottom, Turner, and Coward out there you get more attacking opportunities.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Friggen hell this Aussie attack in our own 22 is giving me flashbacks to my teens starting on the wing. When you've got a one on one & some large gaps either side to run into out wide but your centre decides fuck it imma just run back infield right into traffic & promptly gets shoved back up their own arse. That sort of shit makes you want to deck your own team mate.

I get that they're trying to suck in defence but its not really working.

Then again, this is Fiji, they're good.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well that went about as expected…
I think losing Ben O’Donnel has been the biggest loss from this team in the past 12 months, pre-COVID he was the teams best player IMO. Simon Kennewell would have been better then Lachlan Anderson as well.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Honestly this seems like a no brainer.

Tommy Turbo, Latrell Mitchell, James Tedesco, Clint Gutherson, Val Holmes, Vunivalu, Wright, Daugunnu

And there’s your gold medal
Yep, was just listing out those names that to a mate. Guaranteed medal, of the gold variety.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I prefer the maintain a professional 7’s squads, and maybe just supplement it with one or two players around the Olympics. If they’re going to play 7’s at the Olympics they need to make a few tournaments leading up to it at least.

Also a bit rough to expect a group of guys to do all the work to qualify for the Olympics, and then another group of guys just parachute in for the big event.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I forgot Coward was in the team until that last minute or so. He was the star of the Oceania.

This is such a trundling team. Too much bland.

We have to move away from this conservative game. Just relying on solid metre eaters (hopefully) then some spark. We looked completely devoid of attacking threat for much of that game. Which is understandable when you only have a couple of strike weapons.

We need to build a 'brand' or style that is Australian and I think that is about being quick and skillful. And I think to help us there we need to rely more on the type of players we see in our professional teams - How can we have more polynesians in our 15s side than our 7s?

Kerevi looked our best 7s player and hes never played 7s (except likely in the villages of Fiji). Puts to bed the theory that you have to play lots of the game to learn it. Perhaps you just need some rugby instinct?

Seru Uru should have been chased for this squad. Droasese. Vidugo (if eligible).

I maintain we should have picked Trae Williams (over Roache most likely) and I thought Nawaqanitawase showed enough at the Oceania to show he could be a weapon - and could answer re-starts.

Of course these guys all have to want to play 7s, but there needs to be a decent salary to it which is hard when I assume income is tied to sponsorship and federal funding which is linked back to success.

I like Walsh and would be prepared to back him but we need to step out of the conservative mode and try to re-imagine what we want from our national team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bring in a Fijian coach, mix things up.

Open up the recruiting, need to be scouting more league and touch competitions.
I think it could also be a good vehicle to engage indigenous communities

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Also a bit rough to expect a group of guys to do all the work to qualify for the Olympics, and then another group of guys just parachute in for the big event.

Isn’t that what happens with the swimming relays, the guns are held out until the finals but everyone gets a medal?

I agree it’s rough for the professionals, but if you’re serious about putting 7s back on the map in Australia, it’s worth doing it at least every now and again. Get the biggest footy names in the country representing the nation and winning a gold medal. I guarantee that’ll get more young guys to consider the sport, rather than watching the slop that just unfolded.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Isn’t that what happens with the swimming relays, the guns are held out until the finals but everyone gets a medal?

I agree it’s rough for the professionals, but if you’re serious about putting 7s back on the map in Australia, it’s worth doing it at least every now and again. Get the biggest footy names in the country representing the nation and winning a gold medal. I guarantee that’ll get more young guys to consider the sport, rather than watching the slop that just unfolded.

I also don’t believe you can parachute a team of athletes who have never played 7’s and expect them to perform, there’s so many nuisances within the game that makes it difficult unless they’ve played or had a strong interest in it previously.

Previously RA released a few wallabies to complement the existing squad 2006(Latham, Tuqiri, Giteau) and 2010(Turner, Foley, Cummins, McCabe), and i think thats a better way of doing it. You would still need guys like Longbottom, Holland, Coward etc to set structure in attack and defence. Just throw in some athletes for the speed and x-factor.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Previously RA released a few wallabies to complement the existing squad 2006(Latham, Tuqiri, Giteau) and 2010(Turner, Foley, Cummins, McCabe), and i think thats a better way of doing it. You would still need guys like Longbottom, Holland, Coward etc to set structure in attack and defence. Just throw in some athletes for the speed and x-factor.

I think that's a better approach, but ideally they should be flagging it a couple of years out to get those guys some tournament and squad exposure at various points in the cycle.

Wouldn't hate to see a wallabies 7s side play against the actual 7s side in an exhibition series every now and then though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Peter Fairburn suggested on twitter that the 7’s program as a full time squad may be scrapped after the games due to finances, with players to come from sevens squads and clubs players for future 7’s series.

And to be honest, until they resolve the international travel issues, its hard to see a strong justification to retain it at least for the men. Women’s program will struggle to compete with the NRLW league if they cant travel as well.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Honestly this seems like a no brainer.

Tommy Turbo, Latrell Mitchell, James Tedesco, Clint Gutherson, Val Holmes, Vunivalu, Wright, Daugunnu

And there’s your gold medal

You mean like Hayne who tried to crack the Fiji side and was rubbish?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I also don’t believe you can parachute a team of athletes who have never played 7’s and expect them to perform, there’s so many nuisances within the game that makes it difficult unless they’ve played or had a strong interest in it previously.

Wouldn’t take the NRL comment too seriously. The point is though, the talent is in the country, someone needs to work out how to use it.