• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Our "JFK" Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
and Snakebite. Awesome memories.

Bloody Snakebites. An innocent trip to Temple Walkabout led to the Tassie bartender setting up a tab, which led to snakebotes a-go-go, which led to me and a mate trying to pick a fight with the London Eye.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
and Snakebite. Awesome memories.

Obviously didn't have enough if you remember anything.

I wasn't there. Can't recall, had just arrived in England (about to go to live in Leeds), and was just visiting friends in London. I think it was around Putney.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
At the stadium, up in the nosebleed section with a mate I had converted from soccer to rugby. A long way from the players but so high up you could see the entire backline movement unfold and it was special to see Stirling coming up in the line, pause and suddenly cut in front of the NZ player (can't remember who was meant to get the pass) to catch the pass like it was meant for him. Even better to watch the confidence of the NZ team shrivel and die from that moment onward.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think there are a few other potential JFK moments to go along with "The Intercept":

The Tackle - Gregan vs Wilson at SFS
The Try - Toutai Kefu vs about 100 Darkness Piggies lumped on top of him.
The Kick - Nobody's PK after the siren to sink the Darkness
The Quote - Moses assessment of the Wobs performance and Gilbert KB (Kurtley Beale)'s kick at Bloomers.
The Bag - Greg Cornelson's bag of four tries vs the Darkness
The First Bill - NFJ getting Bill from Her Maj for the first time at Twickers

Intersting that nearly all of these "The's" are against the Darkness.

Any other nominees for JFK moments.
The Punch - Finnane vs Wales 1978 (thanks It Is What It Is)
The Droppie - Bernie vs Saffers RWC 1999 ( thanks rugby smartarse)
The Gold - 1908 Olympics - Yes we won there, but not many Gaggerlanders will remember where they were.
The Scrum - Pushover try vs Wales during the 1984 Grand Slam
The Intercept - Mortlock vs the Darkness at RWC 03. (thanks Moses)

D

daz

I was at my local hangout with 4 Aussie ex-pat mates. Shenanigans Irish Pub on Second Beach Road, Pattaya, Thailand.

Memorable for not only the intercept and win, but the significant bar bill at the end of it all. Happy days.

A week later the same pub, same mates, same bar bill. Full of ex-pat Poms. Cried.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I think there are a few other potential JFK moments to go along with "The Intercept":

The Tackle - Gregan vs Wilson at SFS
The Try - Toutai Kefu vs about 100 Darkness Piggies lumped on top of him.
The Kick - Nobody's PK after the siren to sink the Darkness
The Quote - Moses assessment of the Wobs performance and Gilbert KB (Kurtley Beale)'s kick at Bloomers.
The Bag - Greg Cornelson's bag of four tries vs the Darkness
The First Bill - NFJ getting Bill from Her Maj for the first time at Twickers

Intersting that nearly all of these "The's" are against the Darkness.

Any other nominees for other JFK moments.
The Phantom's punch against Wales, when our forwards (or at least one of them) stood up and said 'enough is enough'

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
At the Oaks drinking jugs of VB, (when it WAS a rugby pub), the mood changed from expectant doom to euphoria. And there was one individual who stood up and pointed to the suddenly very quiet kiwi contingent and told them the facts of life. I think the night ended up at Minsky's. After the Pickled Possum

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How could I forget Bernie at RWC 99?

List amended above.

I'd also add:
The Gold - 1908 Olympics - Yes we won there, but not many Gaggerlanders will remember where they were.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
How could I forget Bernie at RWC 99?

List amended above.

I'd also add:

Harrison's line out steal in the 3rd test against the lions (or more specifically Martin Johnson) in 2001.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What about in 1986 when Wallabies under Alan Jones won a Test series in NZ for the first time since the 1940s? Couldn't believe as I had only just been back from 8 months of backpacking in Europe and USA that my fellow prop, Mark Hartill, from my year with North Colts was actually playing for the Wobs!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
91 - Campese over the shoulder to Horan
91 - Lynagh backing the Wobs to score a try against Ireland
91 - Bob Dwyer screaming kick it to the shithouse in front of the Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.