• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pace - Specifically "BLISTERING" Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the ability to burn players for pace is something that cant be tought- you either got it or you dont
so few players in the world actually have it> id say the only one in australia at the moment thats got it would be mogg
beale has it when fit, oconner probably had it before this years weight gain
doug howlett, habanna, caucaunibuca, ngwenga, brent russell, maybe my memory has made him faster but i thought ben tune had it: there is no defense against it if these blokes are given space
you could probably count on your hands the amount of players whove represented their country who have it and not many round eyes haha
whos got it, whos had it-
any up and comers we should look out for?
if injured (turner) can a player ever get it back?
if anyones got any good videos please post a link>

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Lachie Turner had it. I think the only reason Deans picked him in the wallabies was that try where he burnt rico gear playing for the Tahs against the then Deans led Crusaders. Unfortunately, that speed has been left behind with age. Once a winger has lost a bit of pace with age, they have to be very good to be able to stay in the mix. Joe Roff was a good example of this. Habana to a lesser extent. They have to reinvent the way they play to stay relevant

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure but Dan Norton, plays 7's for England. I'm pretty sure he's got a slick set of wheels on him. I'll see if I can find a video - might be thinking of the wrong player though.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Lachie Turner had it. I think the only reason Deans picked him in the wallabies was that try where he burnt rico gear playing for the Tahs against the then Deans led Crusaders. Unfortunately, that speed has been left behind with age. Once a winger has lost a bit of pace with age, they have to be very good to be able to stay in the mix. Joe Roff was a good example of this. Habana to a lesser extent. They have to reinvent the way they play to stay relevant

Doug Howlett was a prime example as well. After his blistering pace left him, he becamce a very very hard-working winger who chased every kick that went up, went looking for work around the rucks and in many ways, I thought, became a better player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
B
Hard to crack into the Tigers with flyers such as Marika Koroibete

Don't forget Lote!

aap_3655_28Feb_LoteTuqiri_800x600.jpg

869141-lote-tuqiri.jpg

art-Lote-Tuqiri-620x349.jpg

Three recent shots of the great man in action!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think Davies' try against the Canes in 2010 was one of my favourites, and was a great 1st phase move with Ant Fainga'a showing a deft pair of hands to help put him through the gap. (You will also recognise a name on top of the comments section from a certain Ant fan from GAGR)

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
One of my biggest "wow" moments when it comes to Australian rugby is the third Australian try in the 2010 Hong Kong match. Drew Mitchell just flew.

R.C.

Agreed. Happy days. Drewster showed great speed. Beale showed a bit too that day.

Had to check the highlights.

Someone's mobile footage of the Rooster from up close.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
See quade Wack Richey for the late hit on JOC (James O'Connor) once he had scored the try. It probably looked worse from his angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.