• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pecking order: Hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
1. Moore
2. TPN

Daylight

3. Fainga'a
4. Fitzpatrick

Daylight
5. Hardman
I haven't included Freir as he hasn't played this year and I am not sure of when he will be back from injury.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
fatprop said:
Equal 1 Moore & Nau
3 Frieir
4 Faainga
5 Fitz
6 Cowan

when was friers last game? IIRC it was for randwick in the shute shield final?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scotty said:
So it is pretty difficult to pick him at No. 3 in the pecking order then!

Nigh on impossible, he played that game as a flanker!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Freier played 7 in the Grand Final but he had been out a long time before that. IIRR he had made an earlier comeback for Randwick after his calf injury in the Super14, not as a or hooker or starter, but got crocked in that game - and came back only for the GF.

Maybe Randwick tragics can provide something more accurate.

Hooking stocks? Only Moore and TPN are valid candidates because we have to discount Freier. During the S14 Fitzpatrick and Fainga'a may emerge to be 3rd string.

Now the money should be on Fainga'a as he is older and has been through the Academy/S14 mill for a few years now - and with Hardman's injury is a S14 starter - a priceless vehicle for national selection. If he plays to his potential he should make the Oz squad this year as 3rd string.

That would not stop 20 y.o.Fitzy from taking his place as 3rd string later on, but unless TPN is crocked badly he may have to go elsewhere to get a starting spot. Early days for him though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
So it is pretty difficult to pick him at No. 3 in the pecking order then!

That is the fun about opinions and the internet, he is a quality player and the best leader of a maul we have by a long way.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee; Cowan is still a smokey for that 3rd Wallaby hooking spot as well. His ability to play LH is something which may enhance his case.

P

PhucNgo

Ok, I know this'll get you boiler room attendants offside, but what is it about Huia Edmunds that Andy Friend sees that you all don't. Of the Brumbies games I've watched this year he's subbed Moore at about the 60 mark and Edmunds seems to have done well, even scoring a try I seem to recall.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lee Grant said:
Now the money should be on Fainga'a as he is older and has been through the Academy/S14 mill for a few years now - and with Hardman's injury is a S14 starter - a priceless vehicle for national selection. If he plays to his potential he should make the Oz squad this year as 3rd string.

While looking for a picture to replace my old TYS DP, I couldve sworn i saw a picture from the 2007 RWC with Hardman in it. Was this the peak of his career, or did my eyes decieve me?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Ok, I know this'll get you boiler room attendants offside, but what is it about Huia Edmunds that Andy Friend sees that you all don't. Of the Brumbies games I've watched this year he's subbed Moore at about the 60 mark and Edmunds seems to have done well, even scoring a try I seem to recall.

Edmonds isn't a tight forward, prime seagull material.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
1. Moore/TPN (used in a "horses for courses" fashion)

Daylight

2. Edmonds/Fitzpatrick/Fainga'a (who will be the 3rd hooker is very based on what Robbie feels the squad needs)

Nobody else is particularly worth mentioning.

I've always liked Huia Edmonds, the man has a terrific skill-set. The only reason he has never come into wallaby contention in my mind is because of his non-tight-5esc playing style.
The man loves cheeky kicks more than any other man in the league. They come off surprisingly often too.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
fatprop said:
Edmonds isn't a tight forward, prime seagull material.

If he was played in a team with a Mowen style back-rower it would even out. It's all about keeping equilibrium.

His line-out skills aren't bad and he seems to do fine in scrums.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Polota Nau
Moore
Faainga
Fitzpatrick
Edmonds
Freier
Cowan
Hardman

The top two could very well alternate as starters for the Wallabies. With TPN's improved lineout throwing combined with his scrummaging, physicality and skills, I put him just ahead.

Freier is ahead of the bottom two because, even though he is injured at present, I really can't imagine the others playing hooker for the Wallabies.

T

tranquility

I'm glad Faainga has kicked on this season. He was an absolute freak as a schoolboy for ACT, and was getting huge criticism before this season so im glad he stepped up. Going the way he is is going to break some records regarding caps as well.
His brother is also developing into a tenacious little inside back. His defense is world class.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
TPN
Moore
Faainga
Cowan

Anyone who isn't starting can't be considered, though I take fp's point about Freier - he does the little things well and is unstoppable

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
liquor box said:
TPN
Huia Edmonds

Moore
Faainga (will move up as season continues)

HUGE call. Slower more set-piece oriented hookers like Moore still have a place in the game. Too many people are forgetting that.

NTA said:
Anyone who isn't starting can't be considered, though I take fp's point about Freier - he does the little things well and is unstoppable

Alexander was barely benching when he got called into test duty. I don't think it's too outlandish to throw in a non-starting name.

Status
Not open for further replies.