• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pecking Order: Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are quite a few locks kicking around, so here goes (warning, some controversial rankings ahead):

(Horwill)
Sharpe
Mumm (played shite this week, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt)
Wykes (haircut required or else he goes to the bottom)
Hand
Douglas
Caldwell
Humphries (but if his swearing improves I can see him starting for the Wallabies)
Chisholm
Byrnes
Harrison
Hockings

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horwill
Sharpe
Mumm
Chisholm
Hockings
Humphries
Wykes
Douglas
Hand
Caldwell
Byrnes
Harrison

Cyril Towers (30)
1. Sharpe ( why is he so on the nose??)
2. Horwill
3. Mumm
4. Chisholm
5. Wykes
6. Douglas (will be on the spring tour for sure)
7 Humphries
8. Caldwell
9. Byrnes

I think Al Campbell went to France a couple of years too early.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Dunno topo - Campbell was a big fish in club rugby but always went to bits at S14 or "A" level

1 Sharpe - really picked up his ball carrying this year and not from outside centre
2 Horwill
3 Chisholm
4 Wykes
5 Mumm - I'd put him higher but he was a complete douche against the Sharks giving away too many penalties. Robbie won't like that
6 Douglas

T

tranquility

Wykes is a good prospect, but he is still only 109kgs for his 197 frame so there is some filling out to be done still. I hope Tom Hockings can get back into form, good footballer who has the right physique to succeed.

Interestingly I saw Pat O'Connor at Balleymore the other week, so is he still in Australia without a contract? I thought he may be in Japan. Before he had all those injuries there was big talk in the west about his tight play. Surely he would be better than half the locks on the Tahs list? or could even look pretty good riding the pine in a Red jersey.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Horwill
Sharpe
Chisholm
Mumm
Caldwell
Wykes/Douglas
Hockings
Hand/Bynes

Surprisingly good spread of locks. Lots of younger guys.
Australia's locking woes surely won't last too much longer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
tranquility said:
Wykes is a good prospect, but he is still only 109kgs for his 197 frame so there is some filling out to be done still.

Victor Matfield's published stats: 200cm, 108kg. I hear he's not too bad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NTA said:
tranquility said:
Wykes is a good prospect, but he is still only 109kgs for his 197 frame so there is some filling out to be done still.

Delighted to see young Sam's decided to throw in his lot with the Pirates. This lad's got a future.

I

Ishmael

1. Sharpe
2. Horwill
3. Mumm
4. Chisolm
5. Caldwell
6. Humphries
7. Hockings
8. Douglas
9. Hand
10. Wykes

Despite Caldwell being on the bench at the moment I still think he's ahead of some of the younger guys in the pecking order.

T

tranquility

NTA said:
tranquility said:

Victor is an incredible player, not least because of his sleight frame that he has played with his entire career. However playing with Bakkies has helped play to his strengths. Victor does not do that much cleaning out, his running ability is a pass, but his tactical nous and lineout ability (both on his throw and against the throw) is unparalleled.

If Sammy can become half the line-out general Victor is, I would be happy for him to play at 90 kilos. But lets be honest Sam is an athletic and ball carrying lock - who still needs to put on a little weight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't pick Horwill, who is likely to be out until after the 3N.

1. Sharpe
2. Chisholm
3. Humphries
4. Mumm
5. Douglas

I can't see Humphries being picked for the Wallabies at his age, but by his form he would be in the 3 spot and would perform well for the Wallabies. Hopefully Mumm starts showing more and Douglas continues to improve.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ishmael said:
Despite Caldwell being on the bench at the moment I still think he's ahead of some of the younger guys in the pecking order.

Just wish he could recapture his pre-illness abrasiveness. I remember him sprinting upfield ball-in-hand during the link era and brushing blokes, as well as laying on huge farkin hits. Might be match fitness.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
en_force_er said:
Surprisingly good spread of locks. Lots of younger guys.
Australia's locking woes surely won't last too much longer.

In the next couple of years I'd like to be able to add the name of Greg Peterson who is just a few months out of school - 18years old, 204cm, 115kg and not a pot plant last time I looked. He's in the Tahs pro Academy. I hope he gets to play a bit of grade rugby in 2010 after getting promoted from Colts. Then we can look at him to see if he has any starch for the senior game.

Anybody know what club he is playing for? Did you nab this guy Brucie?

Liked the look of 20 y.o. Kane Douglas at the ground in a S14 match for the first time. He didn't set the world on fire but his hands in the lineout and delivery to the scrummie looked pretty good. He has one attribute which I like in a young tight five forward - proactive alertness, one of the many talents of the great Tim Horan who played elsewhere of course. He didn't spent a lot of time on the ground and was always scoping the play and anticipating it. Keep it up young man.

Interesting that he played TH lock in the scrums and Mumm LH lock.

NTA

I am also a bit disturbed about Caldwell's lack of impact. I feared that his recovery would take some time even though he was ostensibly fit. You can't lose 20-25% of your body weight and expect to pick up from where you left off even when the weight is back on. The body system has had a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.