• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Penalty Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think that theory requires some qualification, simply because the 9 gets his hands on the ball more than anyone and yet they give away very few penalties.
The other thing this thread shows is that people immediately assume the ref is to blame. given the pretty random rotation of refs by 7 games in you've seen half the refs your going to see. if you stats are over the odds as a team then there's something you're not getting as a team: the refs are not wrong every week against the same team.

This is a great post and is absolutely correct. Given the amount of analysis done by teams week in week out by the teams coaches and the referee coaches if a team is getting penalised more than another it is because the are infringing and not reacting to what the referee is asking them to do.

I think more kudos should be given to elite referees, every decision they make in the game is scrutinised and reviewed post match. Yes they fuck up (some more than others) but they are only human and of course some are better than others.

The good teams, coaches and particularly the good captains and players at all levels of the game will react "on the run" and adjust to how the referees manage the game and make the appropriate changes to ensure they aren't penalised.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think that theory requires some qualification, simply because the 9 gets his hands on the ball more than anyone and yet they give away very few penalties.
The other thing this thread shows is that people immediately assume the ref is to blame. given the pretty random rotation of refs by 7 games in you've seen half the refs your going to see. if you stats are over the odds as a team then there's something you're not getting as a team: the refs are not wrong every week against the same team.
yeah, you are right about the 9. Definitely depends on what the players type of involvement was/is, but given Scott's original list was specifically about the forwards, I wasn't really talking about the backs. I should have clarified that.

I didn't notice anyone assuming the ref was to blame, maybe I am not reading these posts the same way you are.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
yeah, you are right about the 9. Definitely depends on what the players type of involvement was/is, but given Scott's original list was specifically about the forwards, I wasn't really talking about the backs. I should have clarified that.

I didn't notice anyone assuming the ref was to blame, maybe I am not reading these posts the same way you are.
My mistake - i missed that it was confined to forwards.
Post 7 seemed to be aiming that way - i think Scott took it that way

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Personally I don't mind seeing number 7s/pilferers high in that list. It's there job to push the ref and try and force the turnover. Some of the penalties result after a warning, but some of them get blown up without one, and they are usually the ones you can live with because they are attacking the breakdown. It's when a player gives away a penalty that is due to laziness (in from the side, not rolling away) or ill discipline (fighting, malicious tackles etc) that are the real coach killers.

I'd never discourage my players from trying to get over the ball in a ruck and win it back, or putting a guy on the ground and rip the ball from them. If it gets pulled up through bad form (not clearly releasing) then thats something that can be worked on. If it gets pulled up through the refs interpretation or timing of holding on, ruck formed etc then that needs to be adapted to over the course of the game and just how it goes.

The other players I would expect to see high in this list are the props, and is more an indication of which side has dominance than anything else. Unless its something a prop is repeatedly getting pinged for and a technique thing. However, in terms of super rugby you'd think this wouldn't be too much of an issue

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The three who seem to be the worst are Sam Carter, Matt Hodgson and Saia Fainga'a.

Simmons was really awful the past few years too, especially at test level. Although it seems he has cleaned up his act this year. He was incredibly frustrating to watch at times before. I understand that players make mistakes. In fact, I've always been coached and very much believe in the philosophy of "it's better to make a mistake at one-hundred miles and hour than it is to hesitate". But the pattern of these players getting pinged for stuff like off side, in from the side, not rolling away, pointless niggling is just unreasonable and unacceptable at the professional level.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The three who seem to be the worst are Sam Carter, Matt Hodgson and Saia Fainga'a.

Sam Carter will be lucky to finish the season without leading the Yellow Card stats for the comp.

In the Round 4 Brumbies v Waratahs Match - he should have been carded two penalties earlier than he was.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have no problem with "positive" penalties as units push boundaries, but lazy penalties, meh.

Flops and not entering from behind are the ones that shit me

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sam Carter will be lucky to finish the season without leading the Yellow Card stats for the comp.

In the Round 4 Brumbies v Waratahs Match - he should have been carded two penalties earlier than he was.
Yeah but when you think about it - getting carded reduces the opportunity to commit more infringements. i guess if you want to win this thing you have to really learn each ref's tolerance so you can maximize infringements that wont land you in the bin.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah but when you think about it - getting carded reduces the opportunity to commit more infringements. i guess if you want to win this thing you have to really learn each ref's tolerance so you can maximize infringements that wont land you in the bin.

I like your line of thinking, it all depends on how committed he is to the cause! :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ali Williams (Akl Blues) must be up there with the best performers in this category.

IMHO he was a significant contributor to his teams defeat by the Reds.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
7 of 23 (30.4%) are Reds
43 of the 132 (32.5%) penalties were committed by Reds

Scott, do you think the weighting to Reds players is warranted?

Is this data after 7 rounds as stated or 7 matches? If it is the former then the Reds had an extra game as they did not have a bye in rounds 1-7. On that basis, Ma'afu is the King of Penalties per 80 minutes played:

Code:
P min P/80min Player
------------------------------
 7 202 2.78 S. Ma'afu
 7 230 2.43 M. Hodgson
 7 278 2.01 S. Carter
10 459 1.74 G. Holmes
 6 286 1.68 S. Fainga'a
 9 461 1.56 S. H'botham
 6 322 1.49 S. Fuglistaller
 6 331 1.45 N. Charles
 6 350 1.37 L. Weeks