• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Phil 'Hypocrite' Waugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
No one in this thread is suggesting the forward dominated tactics of the Tahs isn't the right way to go for them. They are pointing out the hypocrisy of Waugh's comments considering the tactics the Tahs implement. If he wants to talk the talk, well you know the rest.....

the thread is about waugh being a hypocrite, but if you read richard grahams comments from the start of the year when he goes on about what an expanseful and wonderful running game he is going to play all year and how people should support the force, then what he had his team do against the tahs, waugh has every right to voice an opinion.

are the reds fans who said the tahs showed a "sense of entitlement" not hypocrites for the way they reacted when there arragant coach made changes and lost the game against the hurricanes before they went on to bash the ref and do exactly what the tahs where supposed to have done wrong the week before, or is namecalling just a qld thing that every should get used to cos they are dominating the middle of the year?

T

TOCC

^^ Waratahjesus, there is no need to attack Reds fans because of the comments of a few..

If Phil Waugh is going to stand there in front of journalists and attack the coach of another province, surely he understands the possible repercussions. Im not saying i agree with what Graham did, but surely Phil Waugh needs to understand the irony of what he is saying.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The thing I don't get, and I said it on the podcast, is no one made the tahs return kicks with kicks.

They are quite within their right to, but didn't have to.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
^^ Waratahjesus, there is no need to attack Reds fans because of the comments of a few..

If Phil Waugh is going to stand there in front of journalists and attack the coach of another province, surely he understands the possible repercussions. Im not saying i agree with what Graham did, but surely Phil Waugh needs to understand the irony of what he is saying.

Ditto Graham standing in front of a jurno and his remarks when earlier in the season he talked about installing positive free running rugby, this thread is nothing but another poorly masked tahs bashing thread, one of many.

If I had started the thread about any number of reds players or coaching staff I would be abused for it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
WJ, the point of it for me is that the Tahs have previously missed out on making the semis to teams that had less wins but more bonus points.
In the pre season, and then repeatedly through the season the Tahs have been talking up a running/expansive game.
Waugh was stupid IMO for laying the blame on the Force because the Tahs played to the same pattern in that game as they have for several years. He should have said nothing.
The Tahs should do what they say they are going to do, or shut the fuck up.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes you would, because it wasn't a Reds player or coaching member that did this.

This thread was headed "Phil Hypocrite Waugh". It was started by Scotty, a Reds supporter. Read the first post again. And you're surprised when Tah fans react to the abuse? Your joking, right?

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
This thread was headed "Phil Hypocrite Waugh". It was started by Scotty, a Reds supporter. Read the first post again. And you're surprised when Tah fans react to the abuse? Your joking, right?

Sure, I'll read the first first post again. Ok, done. And now you can read my post again. I'm highlighting the fact that, for a plethora of reasons, no member of the Reds did come out and make such comments after a season of similarly stodgy play. His point totally redundant.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sure, I'll read the first first post again. Ok, done. And now you can read my post again. I'm highlighting the fact that, for a plethora of reasons, no member of the Reds did come out and make such comments after a season of similar play, thus making his point totally redundant.

I think you must have misunderstood WJ's post. He said "If I had started the thread about any number of Reds players or coaching staff I would be abused for it" He is reacting to the fact that Reds fans on the site have started a thread denigrating the Tah captain and continued the abuse for three pages. So what if the Reds players had not come out and said the same or similar things? WJ has been criticised on this forum before for what others have considered is abuse of people. So its entirely fair for him to suggest that Reds fans should not pour abuse on a Tahs player.

That Waugh responded to questions about the Force game was unwise - I posted exactly that earlier. But clearly he was angry about what the Force tried to do to cause the fans to turn on his team and worse when the coach openly boasted that is what he did. He sounded off when he would have been better off biting his tongue. Who amongst us hasn't done the same and can therefore cast the first stone? He's had a lot of rocks chucked at him on this thread by people who maybe at least have very big windows. It hasn't done anyone much good.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Ok, well I read it as him attempting to deflect his own captains shortcomings onto others. Sure, we can talk hypotheticals all day, about how if the Reds played this particular brand of football, and if Horwill had of made these particular on-field decisions, and if he had them come out in the media and made these particular comments, and if he had made a similar thread calling the Reds captain out on this he would be abused for it, and it may all be true, but the fact remains that none that happened. Phil Waugh however, has done this, and as such I feel that his actions are totally open to be picked apart. I think WJ is far too over-the-top parochial to see otherwise.

Again, that's how I read it. If I have misunderstood WJ's post, I apologise. I'm sure I'm not the first, and I doubt I'll be the last.

T

TOCC

I think this thread has run its course..

The person who initially posted this thread was wrong in including the 'hypocritical' comment in the subject header, but there was nothing wrong with him posting the article and then including his own feelings on the subject. Just because someone supports another team shouldn't mean they aren't allowed to post a article which may or may not have negative connotations in regards to a rival province.

In the parochial sense, the essential reason that there has been more 'negative' NSW threads then QLD threads in recent months is a reflection of the times and news articles rather then a driven effort to smite the Tah's and supporters.

Forums are often a reflection of what the media produces, our opinions and justifications are driven by what journalists produce.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The thing I don't get, and I said it on the podcast, is no one made the tahs return kicks with kicks.

They are quite within their right to, but didn't have to.

The force were dominating the tackle and breakdown (as you would expect with an all wallaby backrow). The tahs didn't want to be playing from their own half. It was a legimite tactic.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ditto Graham standing in front of a jurno and his remarks when earlier in the season he talked about installing positive free running rugby, this thread is nothing but another poorly masked tahs bashing thread, one of many.

If I had started the thread about any number of reds players or coaching staff I would be abused for it.

I didn't start this to tah bash, just point out how ridiculous waughs comments were. If I had read graham's comments that you refer to I would have done the same.

There are a few things I can't stand one is people not being treated fairly and evenly and another is hypocrites.

The comments in the article that really stood out to me were about Sydney being the biggest marketplace and how coaches and players have a responsibility to sell the game if rugby (or something to that affect).

The question is does anyone really believe that phil Waugh takes these things into account with his decision making as a captain? I doubt anyone could honestly answer yes to that.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The only thing I agree on is that it's all rubbish. I think Phil's statement was just an attempt too get unloyal tah fans back for the lions game. Trying too say we would have ran the ball but ........????? The kicking was just rugby tactics. Does anyone think the crusaders or the reds would have kept on kicking the ball back. The answer is no and if they did they would have been better kicks.

The whole thing is stupid.

And can everyone stop this tah/reds bashing thing. It's getting old. Unless it's all a joke in good fun.

Go the force!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.