• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player Ratings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Considering Horwill never seems to call it at the Reds, even when Simmons is replaced it will be AWH or Van calling the lineouts, im going to assume it was Vickerman.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Did you see the throws for both of them? Nowhere near anyone in gold. Of course, it might have been the calling. Vickerman hit rucks hard, got a good turnover by counter-rucking on his own over the AB ball (it can be done). Only a cameo, but was good. More game time is needed - I would prefer in SA than club, but Robbie has spoken.
Horwill was our best. Easily.

I would like to see Horwill and Vickerman start together. It could prove to be quite the combo.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I would like to see Horwill and Vickerman start together. It could prove to be quite the combo.

If Vicks can get through 60 mins of test rugby, that would be ideal. Wonder about the line out though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I think Vickerman needs more game time to do this. i like the yin-yang of them - Horwill big, dynamic and better ball carrier, Vickerman aggressive, hits rucks harder, and both good lineout technicians. Maybe down the track. Sharpe still has a lot to offer, I think.

T

TOCC

give him more time against the Springboks.. he will be conditioned then

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Robbie said he's not coming so he can play 80 for Uni again.

I'd rather he start and go off a HT for Sharpe. It's a risk but he should be playing against top opposition not Sydney 1st graders.

T

Thomas

I watched Vickerman a bit when he first came on and all I saw him do was hit rucks but 4 seconds after the ball was recycled and he didn't even knock people over, so he was out of the defensive line without making an impact else where. I did see the one down the left wing where we got the counter ruck but did he really do that much?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Vickerman needs more game time to do this. i like the yin-yang of them - Horwill big, dynamic and better ball carrier, Vickerman aggressive, hits rucks harder, and both good lineout technicians. Maybe down the track. Sharpe still has a lot to offer, I think.

Vickerman was off the pace

W

What2040

Did anyone else notice when Digby scored he never once looked for support (when I thought he was going to get tackled). It, (passing) was NEVER an option for Diggers

W

waves

Kepu, Horwill, Genia, Ioane in my thoughts were the only ones who stepped up last night. You also cant expect Vickerman to call the lineouts his been in camp for a few weeks surely the responsibility was put on Elsom.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I thought Moore was actually, but Horwill was a close second

Horwill doesn't mind a bit of dirty stuff either. Second week in a row I've seen him putting in a sneaky elbow/forearm in a clean out. Franks got it last night.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did anyone else notice when Digby scored he never once looked for support (when I thought he was going to get tackled). It, (passing) was NEVER an option for Diggers

perhaps because it was Kurtley in support and his handling was crash hot last night.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought Moore was actually, but Horwill was a close second

For me Moore looses best forward because of his tackle on Melamu(?) when he scored that try.

Body height was all wrong for a pillar position and allowed Mel's to get under him. Other than that Moore had a great game, one of the few forwards doing the work.

T

TheNextBigThing

Good, but smashed at the breakdown in the first half like the rest of our forwards.

Best forward on the paddock? Don't even know what to say. A number of ABs were far better, starting with Richie.

Really? I don't think our forwards were smashed at the breakdown last night. We won far more turnover ball from rucks, and our ball was often secure due to their forwards under-committing in order to bolster their defence. I can't remember the exact stats but i'm pretty sure we slaughtered them at turnovers at the breakdown and consecutive phases both of which are indicators of breakdown dominance.

The breakdown too often becomes a catch-all criticism for a team that lacked the intensity of their oppponents.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Based on that game, the only Wallabies I would pick in an All Black team last are Ioane and Genia. and probably Kepu over Crockett. Mils looked old and slow to me last nite so maybe Beale as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.