• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Players that punch above their weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nevermachine

My avatar might make me seem a bit biased, but one guy "little" guy that impresses me is Fran Hougaard. With his never say die attitude I think he would make a great number 8 :p

As listed before I have to agree with Beau Robinson, Heinrich Brüssow

Ashley Johnson is just awkward anomalous mass to tackle.

Robbie Coleman at the Brumbies, he doesnt look like much physically, but impressed me with the few chances he got in Super Rugby playing at center if I recall correctly?

Special mention: Anton Leonard for the Bulls a few years back, people would bounce off him in the tackle, he was unreal.

My 2 cents worth :yay

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You touched on it but what really impresses me and is the mark of a great backrower (or any player), is that total determination and willingness's to push for every inch, we saw it from harinorduquy last night. Seeing him dive on every bit of loose ball and push the status quo with his counter rucking at every breakdown made me respect him that much more.

He's always had that and I've always admired him for it. The fact that he happens to be and elite lineout man just adds to his lustre. His treatment by Lievremont in the last 12 months: being dropped on a whim, and without doubt because of personal reasons, was disgraceful to those of us who were tracking his club form.

He's as hard as nails and the observation that he is also a drama queen should not lower our regard for him.

On the playing above one's weight topic - it is a hobby horse of mine as folks may know and I mentioned Vaea in that regard just yesterday and also last week. We look at 8s a lot for this attribute to be able to play a "heavy game" because their first few steps from the base of the scrum are most noticeable to us, but it is also important in contact and when getting the hit at the breakdown whichever side has the ball.

This is not talked about enough but everybody talks about the hit in the scrums. The timing of the ruck hit and where to apply the force of it is a key skill and some players just don't have it because they are not "heavy players" try as they might - though some don't even try very much. I think this is why some players are not chosen for the Wallabies or are dropped, and even if that filtering process is used, we still don't have enough hard hitters.

We need harder men who can play big in the forwards more than anything else.

Some good backs have been mentioned but these fellows are more identifiable because their actions are more easily spotted.

France has one of the lightest packs of the top 10 nations and have had such for most of the last 10 years. Nevertheless they nearly won the RWC yesterday and it was because they had forwards who played a heavy game.

Our scouts and selectors need to source "heavy" forwards, not big ones.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The player that fits this bill for me was Rodney So'oialo. I still remember him being manhandled by Dayglo when he first came on the AB scene. Got dropped, Henry got the gig and favoured Xavier Rush, whilst Rodney honed his game at Super level and demanded re-selection.

I met him here in Canberra when the Canes were in town. He's is not big by any stretch. Doesn't have gigantic legs like Pocock, or have upper body mass like many others, but his effectiveness in the collisions was superb, particularly the way he could clean out the first body to provide time for McCaw to compete for the ball. And then he could get out and run like a centre to link with the backs. Some of my favourite AB rugby is 05-06 and 'Rodders' was one of the main reasons.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sam Tuitupou
As a munster fan wouldn't entirely agree. Thank fuck he has pissed off to Sale where he can warm the sin bin bench. Obvious but BOD, the tackle on Russouw in 2009 is still unbelievable. Also there is a great story about his skills as a boxer and how he made a complete twat of Austin Healy on the 2001 lions tour in front of the entire party. Very very funny.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
JOC (James O'Connor), Rob Horne and Will Genia.

i was just about to say those exact 3 lol. even though horne and o'connor have bulked up a little bit horne still looks skinny on the field, yet look how he tackles.

also i forgot to mention the very skinny pocock

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How about these two little terriers?

Something Old
Grant Batty (Darkness) 1973 1.65m 70kg

Something New
Alexander Yanyushkin (Rus) - RWC 11 1.65m, 75 kg

Batty is now living on the Gold Coast I believe and still involved in Heavensgame.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vaea and Dennis are certainly our two best no 8 candidates for the future...

Hopefully Vaea takes it up a notch next year...loses a bit of that puppy fat...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
For a lock Mark Connors was a bloke who punched above his weight.

A big issue for our forwards is the carry their body height way to high making them easy targets. Pocock is the only exception. One thing I like about Dave Dennis is he consistantly carries his body height low and it serves him well.

I want Australian coaching to start focussing on such basic skills.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a munster fan wouldn't entirely agree. Thank fuck he has pissed off to Sale where he can warm the sin bin bench. Obvious but BOD, the tackle on Russouw in 2009 is still unbelievable. Also there is a great story about his skills as a boxer and how he made a complete twat of Austin Healy on the 2001 lions tour in front of the entire party. Very very funny.

Read about the BoD v Healy boxing from a few players on that tour but it so much better to hear someone talk about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/irish/8563493.stm

D

DJC

Lee mentioned earlier heavy forwards rather than big ones, the guys that immediately spring to mind are Ron Cribb and Troy Flavell. I remember meeting them in the Qantas club in Perth airport 10 or so years ago. They were both big stature but not massive but my abiding memory was two guys who always seemed to be out muscling the opposition on the field. The other guy who springs to mind in terms of toughness and tough attitude is Denis Leamy from Ireland. The stats say he is 108kgs but he always seemed to be capable of really using himself to maximum advantage.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree DJC

Leamy is a good example of backrowers who don't weigh a whole lot, but play heavy, as are/were other recent Ireland backrowers, David Wallace and Alan Quinlan. Now there is a new one in SOB.

Oz doesn't have enough of these types of players and now that the carnival of the RWC is over and the music has stopped, I'd like to see some of the players who may be able to be tough nuts at the international level get a run.

I'd also like to see more of the Oz Super teams being on the lookout for such players rather than those with "all the skills." I realise that there is not a whole lot around as Oz rugby is soft compared to that of other major rugby nations and does not produce a lot of them.

We have to realise that meat and potatoes is most often more beneficial than dessert, and do something about it.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)

Tell me more about this boxing incident please.

W

WhoDaresWin

Jerry Collins

He wasnt a big guy but he can sure can give back those hits...

Status
Not open for further replies.