• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pointing vs Tendulkar vs Kallis (Best Test Cricketer)

Which one will you pick for your Test Team and why?

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Ricky Pointing

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Not one of them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Tendulkar probably, but it's a close run thing. They are both great batsmen of their generation and all time greats of the game. I think you have to put Kallis in there now as qwerty says.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kallis will also be my biased pick. He is nothing less then a legend in my view. Got the perfect batting technique for test cricket. If you want any youngster to learn the art of batting, Kallis temperament and minimum risk straight bat waiting for the right ball to put away the perfect example. Always feel Tendulkar have the edge playing at home on plum wickets while Pointing and Kallis playing on the more bounce and movement SA and Aus wickets. Incrediable amount of test saving innings by Kallis for SA, add in his bowling and slip catching abilities makes him the legend in the modern era.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sachin hands down. An all-time legend, and in the top 3 cricketers of all time. The other two are both greats of the game, but Sachin is on another level. He has 11 centuries more than ANYONE. Come on.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Barbarian who are your other top players. Incidentally I always thought it was a coin toss between him and Lara. i had the privilege of seeing Lara's 277 at Sydney. His innings finished when he was run out. Murali also states thet Lara was his toughest opponent. The left hander thing i presume.

C

chook

Sachin over the others. Proven performer, one of the all time greats of the game. Kallis is great but selfish with it, at times. Perhaps pose the question again with All Rounder as the team member.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tendulkar has to be it. Kallis is quality and seems like an ok bloke for a cricket player but Tendulkar is the master. To play so well with 1 Billion people watching you is quite a feat.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Will be interesting to see the three players average if you take out their home innings in test cricket.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
PB, ask and ye shall receive:

Tendulkar: averages 56 both at home and away
Ponting: 57 at home, 48 away
Kallis: 59 at home, 53 away

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK here goes...

Tendulkar: 58 in OZ, 46 in RSA
Ponting: 26 in India, 58 in RSA
Kallis: 45 in OZ, 58 in India
OK so we have a interesting one here

India : Kallis 58, Tendulkar 56, Ponting 26
SA: Kallis 59, Pointing 58, Tendulkar 46
Aus: Tendulkar 58, Pointing 57, Kallis 45

Overall: Kallis 54, Tendulkar 53, Pointing 47

Tendulkar obvious the more array of shot playing but Kallis more the risk free and correct one. Ponting average in SA and India a bit of surprise to me. Pretty sure Kallis wins the bowling one hands down, fielding on point Ponting is all class , slips Kallis have a safe pair of hands, Tendulkar average.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the most important average to look at is what it is when their teams win and lose, as it indicates how much of a contribution they make. To wit:

Tendulkar: 67 winning, 38 losing (61w-46l-70d)
Ponting: 59 winning, 35 losing (99w-28l-25d)
Kallis: 65 winning, 33 losing (69w-39l-37d)

The above indicates how close all three are, but Kallis and Tendulkar in particular.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The big difference for me is that Tendulkar has at times dominated every international attack and individual bowler. He can really dominate that bowling attack (no matter who they are) and this helps his team immeasurably. You can't say the same about Kallis, and definately not Ponting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
My top three would have Bradman and Sobers, but I'm not sure Sachin is a shoe-in for 3rd, he has some mighty stiff competition.

Interesting that Sobers automatically gets into a lot of top 3s.

Sobers - 8032 runs at 57.8, 235 wickets at 34
Kallis - 11947 runs at 57.4, 270 wickets at 32

Hard to split them on stats.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think Kallis's style always counts against him in these comparisons. He is very dour with both bat and ball, and has never really dominated an attack like Tendulkar and Ponting have. He has never made me sit up and go 'wow'. He is a great cricketer as the stats show, but lacks the x-factor of the other two.

Lily I would suggest the top 8 cricketers of the 'modern era' (ie 1995-2010) would have to be Warne, Murali, McGrath, Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Matty Elliot. I think Sachin's last two years have probably secured the #1 spot, but had he retired after 2008 it would probably be Lara or Warne.

W

wal

Having sat through a day where Tendulkar (and Laxman) took apart an Australian attack, I would have say that I do feel Tendulkar to be the greatest of the three. Ponting has been the best Australian batsman, Kallis an amazing stayer, with the bat and the ball, but Tendulkar is the player i dread coming to the crease out of any batsman I have watched (I'm not old enough to have watched Bradman, Sobers etc). I also think his record of converting starts to big scores, as well as the influence he has had on his team to be above par.

Status
Not open for further replies.