• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pointing vs Tendulkar vs Kallis (Best Test Cricketer)

Which one will you pick for your Test Team and why?

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Ricky Pointing

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Not one of them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Kallis's style always counts against him in these comparisons. He is very dour with both bat and ball, and has never really dominated an attack like Tendulkar and Ponting have. He has never made me sit up and go 'wow'. He is a great cricketer as the stats show, but lacks the x-factor of the other two.

Lily I would suggest the top 8 cricketers of the 'modern era' (ie 1995-2010) would have to be Warne, Murali, McGrath, Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Matty Elliot. I think Sachin's last two years have probably secured the #1 spot, but had he retired after 2008 it would probably be Lara or Warne.

Matt Elliot? In terms of ability, perhaps, but his results were pretty mediocre.

Scotty, in response to Sobers vs Kallis, I like to do a little calculation for the total value of all-rounders:

Test_Batting_Ave + (10 x Test_Wickets_Per_Match) + (10 x Test_Catches_Per_Match)

Sobers: 57.78 + (10 x [235/93]) + (10 x [109/93]) = 94.76
Kallis: 57.43 + (10 x [270/145]) + (10 x [166/145]) = 87.49

These guys are pretty far ahead of some of the other great allrounders in the game

Hadlee: 27.16 + (10 x [431/85]) + (10 x [39/85]) = 82.45
Botham: 33.54 + (10 x [383/102]) + (10 x [120/102]) = 82.85
Imran: 37.69 + (10 x [362/88]) + (10 x [28/88]) = 82.01
Kapil Dev: 31.05 + (10 x [434/131]) + (10 x [64/131]) = 69.06
Miller: 36.97 + (10 x [170/55]) + (10 x [55/38]) = 74.78
Pollock: 32.31 + (10 x [421/108]) + (10 x [72/108]) = 77.95
Goddard: 34.46 + (10 x [123/ 41]) + (10 x [48/41]) = 76.16

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Matt Elliot? In terms of ability, perhaps, but his results were pretty mediocre.

Come on Hornet, Elliot is an undisputed all-time great. Yeah his test average was 33 but he got some very dodgy umpiring decisions. They say the only thing that separated him from an average of 100 was Umpire Venkat. One of the most breathtaking athletes in the history of sport, watching Elliot grind out 23 runs in a session was like watching a Lion on the Serengetti. Proud. Noble. Dominant. A true legend.

;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think Kallis's style always counts against him in these comparisons. He is very dour with both bat and ball, and has never really dominated an attack like Tendulkar and Ponting have. He has never made me sit up and go 'wow'. He is a great cricketer as the stats show, but lacks the x-factor of the other two.
Barbs you probably likes mik en moer (six or nix) cricket. We are talking about test cricket here and your best test cricket (probably the only version) these days where bat and ball have eqaul change to come out on top. Kallis have been vokken outstanding head and shoulder above the rest in the current series with the bat between SA and India. I'll qoute it again, the perfect example for a youngster (my laaitie have to open the batting this year) to watch and take notes the way to bat. Not only shots but the mentally side of batting in test cricket.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I just can't take Kallis seriously, every time his name is mentioned I think of this article
http://www.cricketwithballs.com/2008/03/02/in-bed-with-jacques-kallis/
Vokket Moses :lmao:

If thats the way to do it, Kallis have it spot on and have a few Miss SA beauties tasting his drop juice Boet.

Just maybe you'll get there with age. You lot are all Mik and Moer (hit and run) type. :lmao:

This is the reward Cindy Nell

G64130_b.jpg

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barbs you probably likes mik en moer (six or nix) cricket. We are talking about test cricket here and your best test cricket (probably the only version) these days where bat and ball have eqaul change to come out on top. Kallis have been vokken outstanding head and shoulder above the rest in the current series with the bat between SA and India. I'll qoute it again, the perfect example for a youngster (my laaitie have to open the batting this year) to watch and take notes the way to bat. Not only shots but the mentally side of batting in test cricket.

He is an outstanding cricketer Paarl, I would never suggest otherwise. But to be considered in the top 5 cricketers of all time (which is where I would have Tendulkar) you have to be good to watch. Kallis isn't. There is nothing wrong with that, because he gets the job done with both bat and ball. And he is probably in the top 20 or so of all time.

But will you really be boring your grandkids talking about how you lived to see Jacques Kallis bat?

Status
Not open for further replies.