• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Possibles vs Probables Friday 3rd August 6.45pm kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Reece Hodge has to have played himself out of the 13 jersey. On the flip side the other 13 (English?) I thought looked very good. Deegan looked like he was a bit rushed to me and To'omua looked out of sorts. The replacement 10 for the wallabies (Stewart was it) had some nice touches when he came on.

Watched a different game to you Alex. apparently.

Imo Deegan was superior to Stewart.

Cottrell had a handy game despite the consensus here that he isn't up to scratch. Banks must be in line for a Wallaby jersey during the RC this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
for the Super team I thought Paia'aua, Hardwick and Slipper were great. Hardwick's almost try was solo magic.

That was a comprehensive victory to Aus, but the Super team did fluff 3-4 almost certain tries there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought slipper played well after a decent stint out for well known reasons.

I found it interesting he was not visible on ground after fans came onto pitch to talk to players but surely he deserves a place in rugby as life situation is things happen and he has paid the price for some difficult personal circumstances and unwise choices but deserves a second chance given part service to oz rugby and fact extenuating circumstances. It would be uncomfortable for most oz rugby fans I suspect if not given that opportunity as I think within reason most accept people deserve second chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TSR

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Tui is having a belter.

Genia just makes such a difference. Head and shoulders above the rest.

This. +1

Games like this just give Genia a chance to show his class. And yes, what class he has.

The 9 jersey is sooo important in rugby. Anyone who thinks otherwise need only watch this match.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodge was not strong going into contact. We really need a direct runner there outside Foley and Beale. I thought To'omua looked OK considering he just got here. After a few weeks in camp he will be a very capable 10-12 for the Wallabies.......again.
Rory Arnold spilled the pill in contact a few times which is a bit of a worry.
Hardwick was excellent and Cotrell didn't stop all night.
Banks and Maddocks both looked strong and must be close.
Slipper was very good but a little out of shape. He should be back in the Wallaby setup soon. He seemed to handle TT quite well at scrum time?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jordan Petaia could be a smokey for an oz bench spot, covering 13 - outside backs with To'omua and a halfback

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jordan Petaia could be a smokey for an oz bench spot, covering 13 - outside backs with To'omua and a halfback

He has potential and all that but he’s not as good as Banks as yet. I think the option of him on the bench and Izzy moving into the centres late in the game is much better than throwing in the teenager.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree wholeheartedly Reg. I think both Banks & Maddocks would and should be ahead in the pecking order at present.

Although I will say Petaia seems to have handled every challenge thrown at him so far. Very impressive young player.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He has potential and all that but he’s not as good as Banks as yet. I think the option of him on the bench and Izzy moving into the centres late in the game is much better than throwing in the teenager.
Yeah I Banks has been awesome. Him to fullback Izzy to 13 6-2 bench with Hodge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You are right. But as the commentators last night suggested, he will most likely be involved for the RWC.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree wholeheartedly Reg. I think both Banks & Maddocks would and should be ahead in the pecking order at present.

Although I will say Petaia seems to have handled every challenge thrown at him so far. Very impressive young player.
I agree with Banks, but not sold on Maddocks. He has glitches in his defense. I'd prefer Petaia over Maddocks, but both behind Banks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Kiwis always debut teenagers. They don’t see that as a deterrent but rather a opportunity.

Just curious as to when the last wallaby teenager debut? Would I have to go back to the name James O’Connor?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I Banks has been awesome. Him to fullback Izzy to 13 6-2 bench with Hodge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think you will be dissapointed

I would be amazed to see Folau moved to 13 for the first bled, with no game time there

13 will be Hodge or Rona, I expect they will risk it with Hodge

Banks is the current back up for DHP IMHO and a solid back three reserve chance.

I expect to see the backs

Genia
Foley
Koroibete
Beale
Hodge
DHP
Folau

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Koroibete looks in good nick. We have a lot of options in the back 3.
We need our 13 to be very solid defensively. I prefer Hodge to Rona but it could be that both are in the 23 and get time there.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Kiwis always debut teenagers. They don’t see that as a deterrent but rather a opportunity.

Just curious as to when the last wallaby teenager debut? Would I have to go back to the name James O’Connor?
He is just a kid in years but he looks so fast and strong amongst that company last night. It will not be long.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Koroibete looks in good nick. We have a lot of options in the back 3.
We need our 13 to be very solid defensively. I prefer Hodge to Rona but it could be that both are in the 23 and get time there.
I’d be pretty pissed if Rona gets a bench spot over Banks.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Watched it this morning after missing it last night, here are some random impressions.

I thought Tui was very good when he was on. There was a comment made that he may run a bit high into contact but I think one of the good facets of his game, and similarly with Timu, is that when they receive the ball with a bit of space they don't just put their heads down and charge forward they put on a bit of footwork and look to keep the ball alive via an offload.

Also thought Folau F. was superb when he was on, his hands are some of the best in the team let alone the forward pack. Having him as a link player is such a luxury as he often delays his passes and looks for inside balls to put a man through a hole. Stiff competition between him, Latu, and BPA (who played pretty well when he came on) but I think I'd have FF (Folau Fainga'a) as the Wallaby 16 because of the variation he adds.

Unusually for an Australian fixture, I thought all the halves were pretty decent, To'omua cleared well and Deegan showed he should have a Super contract (sorry Force supporters) while Genia was all class and Sorovi ran well.

Banks is a Wallaby.

13 jersey remains and issue for the Wallabies, Hodge didn't grab the jersey and Petaia is just too young in my opinion. Maybe you could get away with an 18 year old on the wing but you're throwing him to the lions if he starts at 13 against NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.