• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-Season - Rebels v Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
This one should be interesting, Rebels faithful s first chance to see how the team is tracking this pre season as the game against the Blues was no where near a full squad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
team is up for the game

McMahon will captain the Rebels for the trial.
Rebels squad for trial v Samoa:

Forwards:
Cruze Ah Nau, Ryan Cocker, Steve Cummins, Colby Fainga’a, Scott Fuglistaller, James Hanson, Luke Jones, Pat Leafa, Sean McMahon (captain), Jordy Reid, Culum Retallick, Siliva Siliva, Toby Smith, Adam Thomson, Lopeti Timani, Laurie Weeks.
Backs:
Jack Debreczeni, Tamati Ellison, Tom English, Mike Harris, Dan Hawkins, Reece Hodge, Mitch Inman, Ben Meehan, Jonah Placid, Dom Shipperley, Mick Snowden.
no stirzaker still

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
starting XV ?

Smith
Hanson
Weeks
Jones
Timani/Cummins/Retallick ?
Reid/Fainga'a
McMahon
Thomson
Meehan
Debrezcini
English
Inman
Ellison
Shipperley
Harris/Hodge/Placid ?

McMahon at 7 or 6 with Fuglistaller and Fainga'a to come or start Reid and move MCM to 6 later on

perhaps Rettallick starts Cummins as a reserve lock and Timani as an impact off the bench back row forward at No8 ?

does Hodge play in centres (listed as a FB on Rebels website player profiles)

Snowden and Hawkins as reserve inside backs

lots of options will be interesting to see what effect Crowley has had on the backline effectiveness

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hodge is not quick, although he does have a plus boot so of course fullback is where he'll play.

No Stirzaker and no Sefa is eyebrow raising. No Cam Crawford either, despite looking better than Shipperly and English, and Hegarty for that matter, towards the end of the season.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting that Sean is captain yet Fug and Colby are both in the team.

Also be interesting to see which hooker gets left out. I'm kind of hoping Siliva plays, it would be good to see if he's still got it.

Still no sign of Sefa :(

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hodge is not quick, although he does have a plus boot so of course fullback is where he'll play.

No Stirzaker and no Sefa is eyebrow raising. No Cam Crawford either, despite looking better than Shipperly and English, and Hegarty for that matter, towards the end of the season.

AT first read I didn't notice Crawford missing. I wish we could get some sort of injury update. The Rebels were pretty good at keeping injury info up to date on the website last year.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
AT first read I didn't notice Crawford missing. I wish we could get some sort of injury update. The Rebels were pretty good at keeping injury info up to date on the website last year.

They're keeping things under wraps big time. Probably time to start assuming both Stirzaker and Sefa aren't going to be ready for round one. If that's the case I can see why they've decided not to open up, it's a couple of pretty serious blows and won't do much for fan expectations, but I'd still much prefer transparency.

Interesting point about McMahon being made captain. That's a lot of pressure on him, but that mad dog follow me style might work out pretty well for the boys. They've always played their best when they aren't overthinking things.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i am wondering if Placid and Hodge are vying for fullback, and Mikey Mike is now the utility inside back cover (10/12) with Ellison and Inman covering 13 between them until and if Sefa recovers.
the back row possibilities intrigue me, on last years form and pedigree, McMahon, Thomson definite, Fainga'a probably also, Reid next then Fugs, always assuming TT plays both Jones and Timani in the deuxieme ligne

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Totality Tony strikes me as the kind of coach who likes consistency. I think we'll see almost exactly the same team as last year. Injuries will happen and we'll probably see a few shakeups, but I'm very much of the mind that Harris will be the starting fullback, probably with Hodge as his backup.

Placid is going to end up exactly like Veainu - criminally underused before he leaves and stars somewhere else.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^Remeber the Force game? That was not consistent?

Years of following teams coached by TT, the one thing I have learnt is you never know what his bloody thinking.

Don't forget Placid is only 20 years old, he should see more game time this year. Last year being only 19 I am not surprised he didn't get much time.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Samoan Squad. Interesting that Radio ?NZ name them as a 'Samoa A" team, they all the OZ media refer to them as Samoa. In reality, it's not heir top-flight team, but will be a bloody good workout.
  • JAKE GREY, SCOPA
  • TIETIE TUIMAUGA, SCOPA
  • SILIVA TAPU, VAIALA
  • VALENTINE MEACHEN, MARIST, WELLINGTON
  • SEMIPERIVE SEMEANE, SCOPA & BRISBANE
  • TUMAMA TUULUA, SYDENHAM, CHRISTCHURCH
  • TALAGA ALOFIPO, VAIMOSO
  • MIKAELE TAPILI, AANA & MARIST LOOSE FORWARDS
  • LESTER SEFO, MOATAA
  • GREG FOE (C), PONEKE, WELLINTON
  • NISSAN AITUI, MARIST & SALAILUA
  • ONEONE FAAFOU , VAIALA
  • JOSEPH FUIMAONO, MARIST
  • MELANI MATAVAO, AANA & VAIALA
  • VAIOFOGA SIMANU, TEPATASI & APIA FIRST FIVES
  • SOFARA MAI , MARIST & PALAULI
  • STEFANO HUNT, GPS, BRISBANE MIDFIELDERS
  • FAIALAGA AFAMASAGA, AANA & APIA
  • SAM FRANKLIN, LINWOOD, CHRISTCHURCH
  • ISAIA PETELO, MARIST, WELLINGTON
  • FALENIU IOSI , MOATAA
  • VAOVASA AFA, VAIMOSO & SALELOLOGA
  • TITI ESAU, VAIALA

Background story here:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...-samoa-a-looking-forward-to-'super'-challenge

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
If anyone's at the ground and can provide updates that would be fantastic. Whoever the Rebels have running their Twitter is struggling something fierce.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sounds like a good old fashioned dicking. 6.2k at the ground apparently which is a decent effort for pre season.

Status
Not open for further replies.