• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The initial reaction is the likes of Samoa, Georgia, etc are getting shafted but does that necessarily need to be the case

My understanding is that this nations cup with be 11 games (play everyone once). Last year (2022) the Wallabies played 14 tests

I assume we will want at least one more test against the All Blacks but that still leaves 2 more tests we could play against Samoa, Tonga etc???

Looks like England, wales etc played 12 games in 2022 so room for 1 more for them, so they could fit in games vs Portugal, Georgia etc. They could play them as warm up games before the nations cup games

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The initial reaction is the likes of Samoa, Georgia, etc are getting shafted but does that necessarily need to be the case

My understanding is that this nations cup with be 11 games (play everyone once). Last year (2022) the Wallabies played 14 tests

I assume we will want at least one more test against the All Blacks but that still leaves 2 more tests we could play against Samoa, Tonga etc???

Looks like England, wales etc played 12 games in 2022 so room for 1 more for them, so they could fit in games vs Portugal, Georgia etc. They could play them as warm up games before the nations cup games
We could, they could, but we won't and they won't

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
They could play them as warm up games before the nations cup games
They could but we've seen the NH countries are all talk when it comes to growing the game.

If relegation is true I expect well see Italy and Georgia replace each other.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Also this.

“The proposed Challenger Series, for 12 teams below those playing in the new international tournament, to also be played in the June/November windows, is hugely important for the development of several of our Pacific and South American stakeholders. SANZAAR is committed to assisting this initiative wherever possible, including the provision of promotion and relegation play-offs to the top nations tournament from 2030.”

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
so does the the rwc now just have the 24 nations in these tournaments? or is there still qualifying.

I would imagine it would be very difficult going forward for nations outside the top 24 to get in going forward

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't remember the details. Does this mean everyone plays the same 10 teams over and over and over and over again, just like cricket? Cos that's boring af.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
they’ll need to play someone during the Lions tour years.

release also says

• A significant uplift in the number of cross-over matches between unions in the respective divisions are included in the global calendar in the two other years, providing performance nations with annual competition certainty against high performance unions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so does the the rwc now just have the 24 nations in these tournaments? or is there still qualifying.

I would imagine it would be very difficult going forward for nations outside the top 24 to get in going forward

Complete review post the RWC. Why do you imagine it will be more difficult for teams out side the top 24 to get in than teams outside the top 20 to get in now?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can't remember the details. Does this mean everyone plays the same 10 teams over and over and over and over again, just like cricket? Cos that's boring af.
Too many teams frankly. 14 Bledisloes a season, surely.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Smells like there's an underlying fee back to world rugby or the home nations that's gonna be discovered in the fine print only after the first round of money is distributed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I pretty hohum on this new comp, but can kind of see the point as everyone wants more money, and isn't that point of professional rugby?
I also not sure how Georgia, Samoa etc are getting shafted, or how it could be avoided, there are over 100 nations affiliated to WR (World Rugby), do we think all should be part, or should be playing against tier 1 nations? See someone will always draw a line in the sand and say such and such countries are being shafted or missing out. Uruguay, Chile,Brazil etc etc will all feel the same

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I pretty hohum on this new comp, but can kind of see the point as everyone wants more money, and isn't that point of professional rugby?
I also not sure how Georgia, Samoa etc are getting shafted, or how it could be avoided, there are over 100 nations affiliated to WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby), do we think all should be part, or should be playing against tier 1 nations? See someone will always draw a line in the sand and say such and such countries are being shafted or missing out. Uruguay, Chile,Brazil etc etc will all feel the same
Yes, Money is the whole point of Professional Rugby. Sadly now it also seems to be the only point about Test rugby as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reality it is this isn’t much change from the current situation, it’s just packaged it up in a bundle they can better on-sell to broadcasters and sponsors. Outside of the COVID Restricted travel years which changed the norm calendar, Tier 1 vs Tier 2 have been infrequent.

on a positive note this provides some actual structure and regular games for teams like Samoa and Tonga who don’t play much between RWCs, albeit it will be against other Tier 2 teams.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Isn't that the present state of the game though? Aside from the occasional game against 'fringe' teams (Fiji(?), Tonga, Samoa, Japan, Georgia, Portugal, etc.) the 10 'established' T1 teams only really play each other

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
And that's punishing enough as it is. To entrench it further is horrifically cringe. I'd much rather the AB's EOYT, for e.g., be a ~3 match tour of continental Europe before playing two of the 6N teams, or a three match series against one team.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
And that's punishing enough as it is. To entrench it further is horrifically cringe. I'd much rather the AB's EOYT, for e.g., be a ~3 match tour of continental Europe before playing two of the 6N teams, or a three match series against one team.
Ultimately though, there's a very high likelihood of blowouts in most T1 v T2 matchups, which doesn't benefit fans, the teams involved, or rugby in general.

As Adam said, the biggest positive of this is the challenger series providing more structure and opportunity for T2 nations - hopefully improving their competitiveness - narrowing the gap between T1 and T2 in the future