• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
People also need to realize this new nations cup is not every year. There is nothing stopping the wallabies, all blacks etc playing against the tier 2 teams in the alternate years? And in the year of the nations cup the tier 2 teams will be busy with their own tournament no?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

LOL, you want to play rugby in August in Japan?

Welcome to 38 degrees, 100% humidity and DETH.
All I'm hearing is that Dismal is a little bitch and is scared of a little heat. The placid environment of the Pitcairns has made you weak.

1709078626311.gif

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL, how convenient, hometown Japan avoids all the big bad island teams in group play and instead finds themselves in the group with wussy Canada and America to ensure they make the semis to be played - what's that? - in Japan.

Sham.

GHYxa2KbAAAcqO7

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems this is going to be one of reasons that Japan and Fiji may not get in RC? They may play in proposed championship as Saanzaar's nominated 2 extra teams, but as NZ and SA are looking at proposed tours (3 tests and midweek games?) every second year the RC will probebly be shortened those years anyway, and may not be room for a couple more teams?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Great… NZ and RSA chasing the $$ of a tour between themselves ahead of Fiji & Japan inclusion in the TRC.

Also notably this ‘proposed’ tour by NZRU will Impact on the TRC that year also, cost Australia and Argentina $$… great neighbours

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just a further nail in the dysfunctional relationship that is SANZAAR/TRC…

imagine choosing to play a few club teams in South Africa ahead of Fiji/Japan test matches and actually promoting growth in the region… and kicking your other SANZAAR ‘partners’ in the nuts whilst you’re at it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Both NZRU & SARU signed agreements for the TRC, I’d be interested to know the actual document and whether Australia and Argentina could sue for financial reimbursement if the tour impacts on the TRC.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How does it work, given the whole point is that every team plays the other 11 teams each year the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) is on? (2026, 2028, 2030......)

So for us in Australia,
* 3 games v NH in July,
* 5 games against SH in Aug/Sep,
* 3 games against NH in Nov

Do we just not play the H&A games for TRC in those years?, or are we adding 2 more games to the schedule to fit in PNC (Pacific Nations Cup)?

Are SA and NZ going to add in the tours on top of that?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both NZRU & SARU signed agreements for the TRC, I’d be interested to know the actual document and whether Australia and Argentina could sue for financial reimbursement if the tour impacts on the TRC.

And they'll sign another to cover seasons 2026 - 2032 in due course. Whatever TRC looks like post-2026, at least one of RA or UAR will have to sign off on it.

Edit: actually all four Unions will have to sign off on it as it's a whole new agreement rather than a variation to an existing one.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How does it work, given the whole point is that every team plays the other 11 teams each year the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (Pacific Nations Cup) is on? (2026, 2028, 2030......)

So for us in Australia,
* 3 games v NH in July,
* 5 games against SH in Aug/Sep,
* 3 games against NH in Nov

Do we just not play the H&A games for TRC in those years?, or are we adding 2 more games to the schedule to fit in PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (Pacific Nations Cup)?

Are SA and NZ going to add in the tours on top of that?
That's what they're still working through I think, but it looks like they'll be angling for a similar schedule to World cup years - only playing home or away for that Rugby Championship. The only small positive I can see to that is it would likely mean a single Bledisloe test in Australia those years because NZ and SA are probably going to have to forfeit home games in the RC those years to get this over the line. Would up our chances of winning it back.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am awful surprised that we all see time and again that we all want full tours etc etc, and as soon as it is proposed it is suddenly wrong?
Oh I forgot ot's NZR and SA so must be wrong!
Why can't Aus and Argentina do same thing??
Though almost anyone that thinks on it for a moment would realise with the proposed Nations Championship, or do realistically do posters are thinking RA will say no thanks as we got RC to take care of??
I admit to being for it for selfish reasons, I love the idea of tours and playing super teams etc

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I am awful surprised that we all see time and again that we all want full tours etc etc, and as soon as it is proposed it is suddenly wrong?
Oh I forgot ot's NZR and SA so must be wrong!
Why can't Aus and Argentina do same thing??
Though almost anyone that thinks on it for a moment would realise with the proposed Nations Championship, or do realistically do posters are thinking RA will say no thanks as we got RC to take care of??
I admit to being for it for selfish reasons, I love the idea of tours and playing super teams etc
Dan, this may be a controversial view, but I don't think the average Australian rugby union fan has quite the same romantic view of tours as the average NZ or SA fan. Maybe because we stopped playing South Africa a decade earlier than NZ, or maybe because it just hasn't been as competitive historically?