• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I am awful surprised that we all see time and again that we all want full tours etc etc, and as soon as it is proposed it is suddenly wrong?
Oh I forgot ot's NZR and SA so must be wrong!
Why can't Aus and Argentina do same thing??
Though almost anyone that thinks on it for a moment would realise with the proposed Nations Championship, or do realistically do posters are thinking RA will say no thanks as we got RC to take care of??
I admit to being for it for selfish reasons, I love the idea of tours and playing super teams etc
The problem isn't the tours, it's that they're torching the global calendar and blocking Japan and Fiji's advancement to do them.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
imagine choosing to play a few club teams in South Africa a legendary once in a lifetime tour of SA ahead of more meaningless forgettable Tri Nations tests vs the forever losing Wobs, or the mercenary ring-ins J-frankenmess etc?

Do they still talk about the Tri Nations of 1956? Or the legendary 1996 Tri Nations AB's 1996 series win vs SA in SA?

No one gives a shiiiiiiiiiit who wins the stupid tri-nations its just another contractual obligation to sleepwalk through. Who won in 2021? In 2017? Even the most diehard fan would have to look that shit up on google.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever they decide, it's going to be hard to fit it all in, and will probably require additional release windows. Will South Africa be able to put out there best team in the absence of that?

Attachments

• 2026 schedule.JPG
    2026 schedule.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 36

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
imagine choosing to play a few club teams in South Africa a legendary once in a lifetime tour of SA ahead of more meaningless forgettable Tri Nations tests vs the forever losing Wobs, or the mercenary ring-ins J-frankenmess etc?

Do they still talk about the Tri Nations of 1956? Or the legendary 1996 Tri Nations AB's 1996 series win vs SA in SA?

No one gives a shiiiiiiiiiit who wins the stupid tri-nations its just another contractual obligation to sleepwalk through. Who won in 2021? In 2017? Even the most diehard fan would have to look that shit up on google.
That’s because it’s a shit competition ruined by regular short sighted decisions (like this one).

Delayed gratification and all that.

At least in cricket they recognise that an international sport can’t be maintained by one rivalry, even if they haven’t solved the issue yet.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
If the recent convo of NZ v SA tours is true. I have no issue with either looking to maximize their revenue streams and doing what’s best for their games. But my only issue with it is, if it goes ahead and it actively limits RA’s ability to generate money with a reduced rugby championship etc. then I do not want to hear a single word from people in NZ about the quality of Australian Super Rugby teams. Because they won’t be able to attract, keep or retain players at a sufficient level with the revenue streams been actively impacted by their supposed major partners decisions

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ you're seriously saying TRC keeps players in Australia?
In so much as it generates revenue for RA it does. If New Zealand makes a decision that harms that then a reduced player spend and top flight players departing super rugby is a near certain consequence of that. Whether or not that matters to New Zealand is a separate question - they've never seemed fully committed to super rugby as a product versus as a development tool.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just one big dysfunctional family it seems.

whilst the 6 Nations was united in PE and presented a model for growth for all involved; down south we’re just canabalisng one another and the arguing ‘you would have done it also’ as justification for fucking one another over.. and will then then whinge that it’s WR (World Rugby) fault the game is struggling for growth in the SH

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
^ what's stopping RA following SA & NZ down the reciprocal tour route? Would that not generate at least as much revenue as TRC? Which I think most would agree has become a little stale.
Again I have no issues with this being a thing, but there is obviously kick on consequences potentially and to me that seems to be RA to deal with through a decision that isn’t their own. Perhaps the English want to tour, that’s probably the only remaining side that would attract any sort of worthy interest and generate public support. The vast majority of Australians couldn’t care about Argentina, Wales, France, Italy, Ireland etc. from a rugby perspective outside the odd test match. Wales are actually playing a tour match here this year and you’d hardly know, there is prob people posting here today that wouldn’t know.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ what's stopping RA following SA & NZ down the reciprocal tour route? Would that not generate at least as much revenue as TRC? Which I think most would agree has become a little stale.
Reciprocal tours of Argentina? The answer is probably that they wouldn't generate anywhere near the same revenue, broadcast or ticketing. It's the least watched and attended game of the RC for Australia and there's not a strong history there to drive it.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The problem isn't the tours, it's that they're torching the global calendar and blocking Japan and Fiji's advancement to do them.
"We don't want to play Soup Rugby, it sucks, we keep losing so aussie fans dont give a shit about it. And we don't want to play the All Blacks all the time, they're too good. Fuck them. The AB's should be promoting and expanding the game to include Japan and Fiji."
"Why don't the Wobs "'promote the game' and tour Japan and Fiji? Nothing stopping them."
".........................."
"Well, what do you want then?"
"We want to dump NZ and Soup Rugby and copy the NRL and have more local rugby union clubs even though no one in Aussie gives a flying fuck about rugby union anymore."
"If no one gives a fuck then who will pay the players?"
”WHAT PART OF MAGICAL PIXIES DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND C**T?"

gagrflow.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, this may be a controversial view, but I don't think the average Australian rugby union fan has quite the same romantic view of tours as the average NZ or SA fan. Maybe because we stopped playing South Africa a decade earlier than NZ, or maybe because it just hasn't been as competitive historically?
Fair enough Strewth, I tend to forget it's been a huge part of our landscape historically, and kind of guesses everyone liked the idea ie when.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the Nations Cup gets up in it's currently proposed format, do you even need TRC?
Probably still will be some kind of one , as it will tie in with Nation's cup, but there no reason it can't carry on anyway, just make it one match against each team, which after all would make it more interesting anyway. And couldn't Aus etc also play and tour Japan etc?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

whilst the 6 Nations was united in PE and presented a model for growth for all involved; down south we’re just canabalisng one another and the arguing ‘you would have done it also’ as justification for fucking one another over.. and will then then whinge that it’s WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) fault the game is struggling for growth in the SH
I do tend to think at times it is Adam, and always will be if everyone doesn't pull own weight? I completely understand why some are saying but NZ should be helping us more etc, and woe is me, but most here would believe NZR's first and foremost job is to do what is best foe game in NZ. Even if they wanted to give up stuff for Aus rugby, they would get strung up by community rugby here in NZ. RA etc are or fhould not be considered NZ rugby's depedants, that is what age grade/community rugby is.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)

whilst the 6 Nations was united in PE and presented a model for growth for all involved; down south we’re just canabalisng one another and the arguing ‘you would have done it also’ as justification for fucking one another over.. and will then then whinge that it’s WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) fault the game is struggling for growth in the SH

This is it in a nutshell unfortunately. Well, this and the hot mess that has been Super Rugby. And through this the money disparity between hemisphere's is going to keep growing and growing...