• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pubs for the Lions' Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Thought I would start a thread to allow people to recommend good places to watch the Lions. Apart from going out to the actual matches of course. It is also to nominate those few proper Rugby pubs in various parts. The places that will still show a game of Super Rugby in spite of the offerings of League, AFL, Horse Racing, the Trots, (actually I should have just lumped that list as Tom Waterhouse) and so on. Of course a lot of places will probably jump on to the bandwagon and say they are an unofficial Rugby Lions Tour watching place, but these places will probably turn over to watch the Warriors and North Queensland Toyota cup game during the national anthem of a Lions test because some heavily tatooed individual insists on it. So this list should try to help those places with a feel for the game and ward off any imposters. A good test will be whether the place shows the Lions vs the Force next week or the State of Origin.

To start off I nominate the Lord Nelson. The manager there likes his game and they serve some decent beers.

Of course there is also the Rugby Club.

At Crows Nest there is a Japanese restaurant called Sapporo. A place where "sake, sumo and rugby mix'.

I used to think the Oaks was a good rugby place, but these days are a little more circumspect. They may have it on, but you may need to ask, the sound probably won't be on and they tend to allow league right of way there these days.

Just a start and I am Sydney centric, but if you are in other parts put down your list as well.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
The Oaks was great during the world cup - with big screens all over the place. Hopefully they do something similar for the Lions tour.

Also love Sapporo. Nothing quite like ordering "Waratah's Sashimi" or "Brumbies Teryaki' off the menu while downing a litre of Asahi.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting test for "rugby" pubs next week with the state of mongo'ness on at the same time as the force verse lions, what will they show?
Might be worth ringing them up and asking?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Brady's Hotel in Albury sets aside a TV for rugby every Friday and Saturday night. The publican is a Dubbo old boy and loves his rugby. You won't have much company bar one fat old bastard.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Welcome Hotel and Dicks in Balmain, Nags Head in Glebe and the rugby club are the only places I have been that you can guarantee audio for the rugby to be on.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Melbourne perspective.

My local will show the rugby on request, but it's deep in the heart of darkness and three rugby people occupying one of the screens while the slobbering hoards of AFL fans squeeze around the others is often met with a greasy. If you're in Carlton drop into the Great Northern, it's a great pub and will be showing the Wallaby games.

Best bet is the Turf Bar in the city. Fills up and has rugby on all screens. Great atmosphere, if a little packed.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
If you're at the snow, Bernti's at Thredbo has two screens and they generally show rugby on both screens in preference to league. The mungos have the bistro in the Alpine Hotel.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Have yet to find any pub in the Gold Coast that will put rugby on any TV other than the back corner when league is on. But only been looking around Main Beach vicinity for 3 years. Any help?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Have yet to find any pub in the Gold Coast that will put rugby on any TV other than the back corner when league is on. But only been looking around Main Beach vicinity for 3 years. Any help?

Landsdowne Road Tavern in Surfers might be worth a shot. I haven't been there for a few years, but they always played Super 14 games on a Friday night instead of the NRL

http://lansdowneroadtavern.com.au/

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Move away from the Gold Coast.
3.........2.........1......... Where's Sully?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
If you're at the snow, Bernti's at Thredbo has two screens and they generally show rugby on both screens in preference to league. The mungos have the bistro in the Alpine Hotel.
The owners son' played 7s for Australia. She'll tell you all about it after a bottle of champas

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The owners son' played 7s for Australia. She'll tell you all about it after a bottle of champas
She is very friendly. I received an unsolicited massage of my freshly shaved scalp one year, when having dinner in the restaurant. Certainly amused my dinner companions, including Mrs Cyclo.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
So Moses and cyclopath will I be seeing you down at Thredbo this year? I'm easy to find, just look for the instructor at the Friday Flat clock tower at 0915 on Saturdays ;)

The owner at Bernti's is a hoot, I've seen her in full flight. I go there when there's a game on that's not live on free-to-air. I tend to watch the test matches in the TV room of my ski club's lodge as one gets too warm and comfortable after dinner to walk from Woodridge into the village.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
She sure is unique...

I tend to go to Thredbo at Easter, and occasionally in season but tend to camp, will just buy a single ticket up the hill then go for a walk up the main range track, build a jump and hit that all day...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll be in Thredbo in late June for a week, I hope. Maybe later in the season too. I'll try to swing by FF (Folau Fainga'a) and look for you, rugbyskier

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I work at the Harlequin Inn at Pyrmont.

It's been a pretty busy atmosphere ATM, come in one day and have a look round.

And make sure to have a BBQ cooked by me.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Hodgo, what beers are on tap at the Harlequin?

They've just changed some of the beers, but pretty reasonably priced and all the beers now come in pint size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 335
Status
Not open for further replies.