• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
Do you actually know what surgery he needs and what his injury is or are you just speculating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Labrum tears in both shoulders that he has carried for over 12 months. Not sure of the extent of the neck/head injury.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Nice result overall, toiled for long periods, wasted plenty of good possession.

Foley steadiness definitely helped given QC (Quade Cooper) senseless tangents in passing and running. QC (Quade Cooper) can really stray when hes inclined.

Beale - two touches, two try involvements. That's all well and good, but his role as Mr Fixit won't necessarily work when there is a tight game at hand.

I'd suggest Cheika is adding substance to the tight game fix in his bench game. It wont necessary be KB (Kurtley Beale) alone but for a lack of cliches - it will be the full 23.

Enough of the dress rehearsal, lets see what it brings with the darkness.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apart from anything else doing that buggers the lineout.
In the anything else is the fact that Fardy does a lot the dirty work - I reckon he must be close to first picked every match.

It didn't though. even with Skelton still out there.

OK, the 3rd loosie is an open issue, but those two will start IMO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lot to be more positive about as wallaby support in view of recent games

Was not convinced about Skelton but more convinced after performance against pumas

Don't buy Pumas are weak side as they left out key players against all blacks and with them entering super rugby they will get stronger which good for rugby

Seeing we have lot more options and depth - plenty of good bench options coming forward and Beale did alright and offered more food for thought as did mumm with his mobility

We actually look like we are going to be okay in terms of locks and depth as players as players like mumm and Douglas added and other players like Horwill and Skelton coming into form at right time

Not saying mumm proved done deal but performance against Pumas did his credentials no harm

Cooper still big question mark for me and how 'twas you can't see foley is better starting option than cooper is beyond me. But happy for cooper
to prove me wrong as Skelton did this game for
Me.

Lack of good kicking options a worry as to win rwc need to ensure getting 70/80 % conversion rate which none of recent goal kickers look close to achieving

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Good win by the Wallabies in anyone's language - Argentina are now a genuine top tier rugby nation and are hard to beat at home. We really had to work hard to get over them and they defended very well. I like the way that Argentina have moved from having a forwards dominated 10 man game to a genuine 15 man approach. They tend to push the pass and we were able to exert pressure there and they never really looked like scoring.Was just at your shop but the guy inside was too busy playing games on his phone to say hi or serve me so went somewhere else.

A pity that To'omua had to go off early as the Cooper/Beale bench didn't really have a player to cover what To'omua brings.

Good hard win and I like the way we finished over them with late tries.

Is Argentina really a genuine Tier 1 team that is tough to beat at home?

How many TRC games have they won at home??

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Argentina really a genuine Tier 1 team that is tough to beat at home?

How many TRC games have they won at home??

They are definitely a genuine Tier 1 side. You only need to look at their record. They have plenty of wins over all of the Six Nations sides. They beat us last year and in 2013 they lost to us by 1 point, playing in Aus. They had a draw against SA in 2012 in Mendoza and lost to SA at the death last year.

They are clearly a competitive side, capable of beating the top teams on their day. The fact that they haven't beaten the All Blacks and the Boks in TRC is not a fair indicator. If the likes of Wales, Ireland and Scotland played in TRC I think you'd find they'd find things equally difficult. Like the Pumas, neither Ireland nor Scotland have ever beaten the Kiwis.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
A few thoughts on the game:-

- Pocock was my MOTM. He must start against the All Blacks. Whether you start Hooper too I'm not sure. Although at this stage it's getting hard to find reasons why you wouldnt start both of them. The scrum and line-out haven't really suffered with both of them there (even with Skelton on the field). Also is it a coincidence that both the Springboks and the Puma had almost 0 minutes of ball in the Wallabies' half (or in fact almost any attacking ball) when both were on the field.

- I can't remember our depth ever being this good, particularly in the forwards. Too many times in years past we have been hamstrung by the quality of our bench. It now is actually working in our favour. I'm still not confident that we can actually beat the all blacks but the impact from our bench is a positive sign that we should be able to keep up with them for the 80 minutes.

- holy shit Foley's kicking was tragic. Given that Cooper's form is pretty average, I'd say we have to go with Foley against the All Blacks but man if he kicks like that again then you cant play him at 10.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I want to know who the 14 people are that are giving Pocock the thumbs down in the ranker thingy to the right here?!?!? I can live with differing opinions on who our best player was, but how can anyone say he had a bad game??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^Not sure that a tweet like that will stay "up" too long.

Any hint as to the context of the tweet?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought that was a very solid win against a team who are clearly no mugs. It would have been great to see how we would have gone in the backs had To'omua not been injured. I felt that in the early going we were going direct through his channel and getting over the gain line. The first half was a bit dusty but as time went on I thought we got better and better, to the point that we were winning running away by the end. The pigs had serviceable games and the back row in particular (including subs) established dominance by the end. We were too lateral in attack at times and missed too many tackles, but I put that down to the early disruption of MT going off.

Todays performance wouldn't be enough to worry the All Blacks but I'm happy that there is week by week improvement. Still, I think we need to beat them this year to have a chance at the RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.