• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pumas vs Wallabies, 25th July 2015, Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That doesn't warrant a suspension? Wow, at the least it definitely met the red card threshhold and will get some time off.

Horwill was hung for his strike earlier in the year and this is just as bad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Hooper is guilty but he struck at a player who was infringing against him.

Didn't Horwill get one week for a strike on a player in the ruck?

Hooper also has a completely clean record.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The bloke is savagely attacked by the media no matter what he does.

You imply that he does something others don't. How much vitriol does foley cop from professional media for example.

I am with you on most this but Foley does nothing to attract the ire of the media or the public so its not surprising he doesn't attract their vitriol.
Cooper on the other hand seems to be able to manufacture controversy out of thin air.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The article in the Aus this morning says that the tweet from QC (Quade Cooper) was a reaction to a 'personal attack from an unknown party'. Cheika has backed him and there won't be any further action taken.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I am with you on most this but Foley does nothing to attract the ire of the media or the public so its not surprising he doesn't attract their vitriol.
Cooper on the other hand seems to be able to manufacture controversy out of thin air.

Fair comment IS but since the infamous toxic yellow jersey debacle a couple of years ago he has gone out of his way to demonstrate he can be a company man.......up until this point of course. I for one am not particularly bothered by the tweet and I sure as heck can understand if he lost his cool as the crap he cops from the media and on sites like this would be pretty hard to swallow day in and day out. I genuinely feel bad for the guy as despite what you think of his personality on or off the field, he gives 110% percent all the time and very little credit for that effort. I would go so far as to say half of the Australian rugby public probably detests him as much as the Kiwis do. This is all pretty bloody sad in my opinion and not the sort of thing we need playing out leading into the RWC. I believe we need QC (Quade Cooper) to be on fire to win the cup and this latest drama could well be the beginning of the end for our hopes of glory this year. I will keep my fingers crossed that it blows over but it will highly unlikely it will given he was blowing up about something some twot wrote to begin with.

I am big fan of Hoopers but think his brain fart has done more real damage to our chances of success than QC (Quade Cooper)'s tweet but I don't see to much man-hate for him on the boards.....double standards at their most evident.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why has Hooper's strike done more damage? Worst case scenario he would probably miss the first Bledisloe, a game the majority of Australian rugby fans would probably select him on the bench for.

I support Cooper and think he an integral part of our best squad but surely people need to stop making excuses for him.

I don't think there should be any repercussions for his tweet apart from being told to not be an idiot, but there is no denying what he said was incredibly dumb.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes BH Hooper has if we are talking on the field. But that's only because he's such a good player that offers incredible impact. The damage he's done is only because may be without him and that's because he is so good.

Funnily enough it's a different but similar situation. Somebody biting after plenty of niggle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He'll get 3 weeks because he's an Aussie. However, I look forward to a few people from other nations squealing when the same thing happens to their team at a critical point. Some day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If there's a suspension there shouldn't be any loading as a deterrent because that is only being applied to lifting tackles currently.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why has Hooper's strike done more damage? Worst case scenario he would probably miss the first Bledisloe, a game the majority of Australian rugby fans would probably select him on the bench for.

The team need ALL their weapons to beat the ABs. Pocock-Hooper in the last 20 minutes are making a great job. So without Hooper Wallabies can't win. We need all our weapons. Only then can we defeat them

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Fair comment IS but since the infamous toxic yellow jersey debacle a couple of years ago he has gone out of his way to demonstrate he can be a company man...up until this point of course. I for one am not particularly bothered by the tweet and I sure as heck can understand if he lost his cool as the crap he cops from the media and on sites like this would be pretty hard to swallow day in and day out. I genuinely feel bad for the guy as despite what you think of his personality on or off the field, he gives 110% percent all the time and very little credit for that effort. I would go so far as to say half of the Australian rugby public probably detests him as much as the Kiwis do. This is all pretty bloody sad in my opinion and not the sort of thing we need playing out leading into the RWC. I believe we need QC (Quade Cooper) to be on fire to win the cup and this latest drama could well be the beginning of the end for our hopes of glory this year. I will keep my fingers crossed that it blows over but it will highly unlikely it will given he was blowing up about something some twot wrote to begin with.

I am big fan of Hoopers but think his brain fart has done more real damage to our chances of success than QC (Quade Cooper)'s tweet but I don't see to much man-hate for him on the boards...double standards at their most evident.

Hooper's "brain fart" was momentarily trying to swat a niggly cheat away from him. Apparently the ARU have a camera angle that shows the whole thing was a classic South American soccer-style dive. So I wouldn't be jumping the gun there. Also, Hooper hasn't ever courted controversy or displayed the level of entitlement that Cooper has, so saying "this is a case of double standards" is way off the mark - particularly given we've only seen one angle of his incident anyway.

As for Cooper and all the awful things supposedly said about him in the media, can I ask WHERE? I hear an awful lot about how hard done by poor Quade is by our awful media, but as a Herald reader I don't see any of that... on the odd occasion I read the sports section of the Aus, and they're generally pretty glowing about him. So where's all this supposed terrible treatment happening? I suppose you could argue that Spiro over at the Roar clearly isn't a fan, but his commentary is generally pretty constructive - usually focusing on his poor body positioning etc.

As for the Australian public's "hatred" of him - I don't agree with that. The public are just frustrated with his on field decision making for the most part. I don't like him terribly, because he exhibits the characteristics of all Nasser's influences, but if he was playing well I'd be happy enough to see him in the 10. I just think his form over the past two seasons hasn't warranted his selection there, and that's what's also annoying a lot of the "Australian Public" I'd wager.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hoopah should get a week or two, because of the "bad look". And I'm not excusing it, but did it even connect?

The Argie rolling on the ground after and subjecting himself to grass burn probably did more damage...

As I said with the last reactor to niggle, both should get equal time off.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
As for Cooper and all the awful things supposedly said about him in the media, can I ask WHERE

I think this was the offending Ratpoo article (snippets thereof):

Go on Michael Cheika. Dare you. Keep picking Quade Cooper as the Wallabies' World Cup lynchpin.​
Cooper is as crazy as ever and will lose more games than he wins for the Wallabies.​
Coach Cheika is playing with fire in World Cup year, relying on the nutty No10 to guide the ship.​
... Cooper still doesn't have a head for tests. Even an easy kick at goal went so wide it was actually funny. For every rabbit Cooper can pull out of a hat - he helped create a try to Adam Ashley-Cooper - there's a truck load of missing bunnies.​
... Pocock got it bang-on though. The Aussies must review this game as if they lost and there's an easy way for Cheika to do that, by imagining the loopy Cooper pass led to a Springboks try.​
There are reports that Cooper is about to re-sign with the ARU until 2019. If so, we get the last laugh on the famous George Gregan line. Four More Years, Australia.​
Cooper was probably better to bush it off. Instead he signed off using "zero f**ks", etc.

Cheika has moved on. So I think we can too (although I don't expect this to happen) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.