• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think you're right - the jobs will go offshore, those on good awards who've been with the company for many years will be made redundant and Qantas will be an addendum to Jetstar which will take most of the load in terms of passengers and flight routes.

If I was in the Union I would be making a hell of a stink about it - no point in going quietly when you're only facing one eventual outcome anyway. As for getting another job - where exactly? If the company that essentially constitutes the airline industry in Australia wants to either casualise the workforce (as they've been doing for 15 years, along with everyone else) or move them all offshore what choice do the former employees have other than a career change?

Jessica Irvine's article in today's Herald is relevant to this debate too

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/top-bosses-riches-are-undeserved-20111101-1mttj.html

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That might well be the view of the union. If that is so I think they are dumb *unts.
If they don't think our Irish mate doesn't have contingency plans for overseas servicing of planes, then they are naive.
The baggage handlers can jump up and down all they like, but how long to train their replacements?
The pilots are a little different, but they are rationale enough not to go to war.(and they remember the last time they went to war)
Qantas will trot out the $210M loss on international ops again & again.
Look at who the Qantas CEO & Chairman are. Both have a history of big cost cutting.
The unions might better serve their members by concentrating on winning redundancy concessions, rather than hardening Qantas's resolve & setting fire to their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.