• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QF 4 Brumbies vs Hurricanes 4-07 7.35pm AEST, 9.35pm NZT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
where in the protocol does it talk about first contact versus outcome?
I haven't got a refs book, but everytime there is a high contact every referee I have seen and TMO, look at where first contact is, and that is here and in NH rugby, it starts at rc and mitigating factors etc then come in, ie where was first contact, was playerdipping etc etc. If you watch a few games you myst of noticed it

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well as a Canes'man I not overly upset at result, The Brumbies were clearly better, and perhaps Canes are a team of quite good super players,that rely quite heavily on about 3 players to break game open. We were outside the top 4 (who I really think should be in finals) and the way I see it now haven't got firepower to take on Blues next week anyway. So I quite content best team won, and I didn't think it was all that ugly, the weather looked pretty ordinary and Brumbies seemed to play it well.
So good for you Brumbies supporters and get to have a stake in next week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I add how much I like at times what I see on field etc. Early in game when Perenara injured his knee if you watch you will see Slipper take him down in tackle and then seem to twist hiw leg up , it what caused injury, when I first saw it I thought you bloody dirty bastard etc, then looked again and thought well maybe he didn't actually do it on purpose, and a minute or 2 later saw him and Perenara patting each othet on back after looked like Slipper realsied what happened and apologised. Things happen and not always what they seem, players know better, same as Wright diving in as he came out to try and charge down JB conversion attempt, he slid through and really smacked him in leg, always looked accidental, but regardless both players seemd to to pat each other on back and be happy nothing was untoward etc. They don't get their knickers in quite the twist that those who aren't out there do.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say pleased with brumbies depth on display last night as losing Ikatau thought could be game over but sapsford stood up and probably auditioning for replacing Simone at 12 next season. While the bench players like Lonergan, hooper, Jerome and sio all made massive impact.

I think we get frustrated that kiwi teams don’t respect oz sides and in fairness been a lean period with a flawed competition design but I think brumbies at least been the beacon to continue to deserve respect.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
These HIAs that the medical officer can just take off a player on a whim aren't a good look.
I wouldn’t call falling from a height, landing heavily with some whiplash, and a decent likelihood that his head hit the ground, ‘on a whim’

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Got to say pleased with brumbies depth on display last night as losing Ikatau thought could be game over but sapsford stood up and probably auditioning for replacing Simone at 12 next season. While the bench players like Lonergan, hooper, Jerome and sio all made massive impact.

I think we get frustrated that kiwi teams don’t respect oz sides and in fairness been a lean period with a flawed competition design but I think brumbies at least been the beacon to continue to deserve respect.
Hooper started RN and I'm pretty sure played the whole game. But I agree with your sentiment otherwise.

Hooper MOTM for me.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn’t call falling from a height, landing heavily with some whiplash, and a decent likelihood that his head hit the ground, ‘on a whim’
Well, I’m curious to know the rate of players who pass an HIA and those who don’t. The player most of all would know if he hit his head hard. It seemed to me his reaction was purely for being winded and just because he had a huge fall doesn’t mean his head was affected. I didn’t see much whiplash at all.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The difference between the Brumbies and the Tahs/Reds is stark.

The Brumbies forwards were punching holes in the 'Canes defensive line at will in that second half. As Dismal said, Ardie nothing but a speed bump.

After that red most Aussie sides capitulate but the Brumbies just muscled up and put them to the sword through sheer might.

Good stuff.

Also highlights why people saying Ardie is the form 8 in the world are having a laugh. The bloke carries strong but he's nothing on the defensive side of the game. Id take this year's Valetini or Sotutu over him any day of the week.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The difference between the Brumbies and the Tahs/Reds is stark.

The Brumbies forwards were punching holes in the 'Canes defensive line at will in that second half. As Dismal said, Ardie nothing but a speed bump.

After that red most Aussie sides capitulate but the Brumbies just muscled up and put them to the sword through sheer might.

Good stuff.

Also highlights why people saying Ardie is the form 8 in the world are having a laugh. The bloke carries strong but he's nothing on the defensive side of the game. Id take this year's Valetini or Sotutu over him any day of the week.
Article on the roar about this which read true to me which is brumbies had a plan on how to dominate and execute and reds and tahs didn’t.

ps little more detail then above it worth a read

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well, I’m curious to know the rate of players who pass an HIA and those who don’t. The player most of all would know if he hit his head hard. It seemed to me his reaction was purely for being winded and just because he had a huge fall doesn’t mean his head was affected. I didn’t see much whiplash at all.
They also never checked the guy Ikitau hit high..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was a little worried about how neutral we all are, after comments about booing when kicker going for goal in a game in NZ, seemed a fair bit of it in this game when JB was lining up for kicks, but perhaps your volume just died on tv?
And by the way I can guarantee I have never booed at a game, but I these days figure if we want people to cheer when they stoked or encuraging their team and they pay the money I guessing we have to not get too upset if they boo when they trying to discourage opposition.
Though the few boos when TJ ran out first in his 150th game was a little strange and perhaps the ones doing it didn't realise that he was coming out first and just thought it a good pregame boo of the Canes?

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Turning point of the match, definitely had to be JB going off for HIA after milking it.
With JB milking it, yeah he might of been winded but he wasn't going to move till he got the ref's attention. It was a carbon copy vs the Tahs at Leichhardt a few weeks earlier which he got a red card out of, and a blood nose from the shoulder of his own player. The red card was rightfully reversed at the judiciary.

And bloody well done Ponies, good to see them out of the funk of the last few weeks.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The hell was going on with the Canberra crowd? Did they think they were at a soccer game? Just incredibly boorish and embarrassing. Still, I suppose their anti-rugby predilection was a reflection of the team they "support" on the field.

Who knew civil servants could be so uncivil.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Turning point of the match, definitely had to be JB going off for HIA after milking it.
With JB milking it, yeah he might of been winded but he wasn't going to move till he got the ref's attention.
You haven't been properly winded if you think not been able to move is milking it mate, I played in a game one time when I went uo to stop a big prop who did a tap and go, I roared up to him to wrap him up and he hit me so hard as he ran into me, I genuinely couldn't move an inch for a couple of minutes, and I was still on feet. Geez the supporters from other team loved ut, knew I was stuffed and couldn't participate in ruck that was about 2 metres from me, I could actually just stand there and not move a muscle!

Status
Not open for further replies.