• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have only seen them play a game and a half but the uni colts look pretty impressive so far. Some massive forwards and electic out side backs all controlled pretty well by 2 handy fly halfs

They had a couple in prems on the weekend and a few still away with Qld 20's so it looks like they will have good depth once again.

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
That's great news to hear Red Heavy! both Paul Farmer and Elton are great coaches and champion blokes too good luck to them I say mate!

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone got any news on the GPS Colts this year? First proper hit out this weekend coming against easts

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone got any news on the GPS Colts this year? First proper hit out this weekend coming against easts
They played Uni in a trial & few weeks ago & looked handy. I'm not sure of the names but they had some handy forwards back from last year in the blonde prop & the No.7. They also had a big unit in the front row who wasn't there last year. He is about as wide as he is tall & made some great metres. In the backs Jim Henjak stood out. He had a couple of great runs from fullback.Their blonde flyhalf was also quite handy. I recognized him from playing 12 in a few games from their Prem Colts team last year. It was only a trial but based on the cattle I saw & being a fan of Brendan McTiernan as coach,I imagine GPS will be right up there for a Top 4 spot.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any predictions for Top 4 after the first round?
I'm predicting:
1. Uni
2. Sunnybank
3.GPS
4.Brothers
Bond to be the other team to potentially sneak in there

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Any predictions for Top 4 after the first round?
I'm predicting:
1. Uni
2. Sunnybank
3.GPS
4.Brothers
Bond to be the other team to potentially sneak in there
No Easts? They secured a number of leading schoolboys.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
No Easts? They secured a number of leading schoolboys.
I based my prediction on the results after Round 1 & the players I know of in the respective teams. Easts secured Liam Wright, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Gimpel, Izaia Perese, Eli Pilz & Harley Fox. My understanding is that Colts wont see much of Izaia & Harley & that Rodda has a long term injury. I could be wrong.
Their recruits are certainly handy but probably not as significant as UQ, Sunnybank & even Bond. Last point is Easts haven't made the finals in about 5 years while all the other teams have played in GF's in the last few seasons which is probably a good indication of their entire Colts Program & not just recruitment.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree with your top 4 and that Bond will be right there. Were very good last year and should continue to get better.

Most likely prediction is for Brothers to draw a finals game and lose because they have asked for the rules to again be changed.

On that note; IRB U19 rules now allow for a maximum daily game time of 90 minutes. So hopefully this will not happen again.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Agree with your top 4 and that Bond will be right there. Were very good last year and should continue to get better.

Most likely prediction is for Brothers to draw a finals game and lose because they have asked for the rules to again be changed.

On that note; IRB U19 rules now allow for a maximum daily game time of 90 minutes. So hopefully this will not happen again.

The ARU implemented that in 2014 - http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/22/2014 Laws/U19 Law Variations ARU 2014.pdf - and those variations applied to all U19 games played in Australia. It was in place for the entire season, and certainly at the time of the GF.

The variations should've applied to the GF, except the Premier Rugby Competition rules were inconsistent with the variations, and the comp operates under the Premier Rugby Competition rules. So it isn't the IRB U19 rules Brothers need to worry about, but the competition rules (as determined by Michael Backstrom and the QRU). Again. ;)

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
The ARU implemented that in 2014 - http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/22/2014 Laws/U19 Law Variations ARU 2014.pdf - and those variations applied to all U19 games played in Australia. It was in place for the entire season, and certainly at the time of the GF.

The variations should've applied to the GF, except the Premier Rugby Competition rules were inconsistent with the variations, and the comp operates under the Premier Rugby Competition rules. So it isn't the IRB U19 rules Brothers need to worry about, but the competition rules (as determined by Michael Backstrom and the QRU). Again. ;)

Thanks Cat, my mistake, saw it in an IRB Rules email update and thought it was a change.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks Cat, my mistake, saw it in an IRB Rules email update and thought it was a change.

As a Brothers supporter it might be worth checking the comp rules for 2015. I haven't yet and was surprised to learn last year that they superseded the ARU/IRB edict.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm not sure I agree with everyones thoughts about Bond as they have only 3 players from last years squad remain. A new and young side and with a new coach I am picking them to be closer to the bottom this season. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong but on evidence of what I saw out at St Lucia on the weekend, I am not holding my breath!
The team seemed to have no idea and I wonder whether the right person is at the helm. Time will tell

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
I saw PJ at the game on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury & expected to be back playing this weekend.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I see Souths beat Bond in a close Prem Colts game but then Bond came out and put a cricket score on Souths Colts 1. How are the respective clubs looking? Souths must have a pretty good best XV whilst Bond seem to have some depth.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
TBD - essentially we don't have any depth in our colts at Souths. Premier Colts game was a bit of a scrap with a lot of penalties and Souths were able to dominate around the breakdown and Bond didn't have the opportunity to use some of there dangerous backs. We have lost a lot of players to other clubs such as Easts - but the Colts 1 competition this year has some very strong sides against some very week sides.. Weekend results show this.. Uni Sunnybank, Bond and Easts are all very strong and the rest will struggle.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree with swansong10 re review of Prem Colts game. Scrappy affair that highlights the gap between these sides and the UQ, Sunnybank sides of this world. Will not be a very good year for Bond on evidence of what I have witnessed so far and I know its only two weeks in but they lack cohesion, set piece is poor and have probably got a stronger Colts 1 side............

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting observations Swansong and Crusher.

In my experience with Colts over the years I have often thought that judging a club on the success of their Colts 1 side is a good indication of their Colts program. Some clubs find it easy to attract the superstars into Premier Colts and others lack the depth to field Colts 2 teams. But Colts 1 seems to be fairly consistent throughout the years. Maybe this is changing now though.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting observations Swansong and Crusher.

In my experience with Colts over the years I have often thought that judging a club on the success of their Colts 1 side is a good indication of their Colts program. Some clubs find it easy to attract the superstars into Premier Colts and others lack the depth to field Colts 2 teams. But Colts 1 seems to be fairly consistent throughout the years. Maybe this is changing now though.
UQ Colts 1 have won the last 4 Premierships & lost about 6 games in those 4 years. That says a fair bit about the UQ Colts program.

Status
Not open for further replies.