• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni have won 10 of the 12 colts premierships on offer over the last 4 years (3/4 prem colts, 4/4 colts 1 & 3/4 colts 2) and fielded 4 colts teams every year.

I don't think too many people out there would question the strength of the colts program at St Lucia

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh the Uni colts program definitely has a monopoly on the Colts Premierships at this stage and that is unlikely to change much due to their advantageous position in attracting players Colt aged players (lower fees and students on campus being the main two I believe).

GPS had a decent run of Colts Premierships about 7-10 years ago I believe. Most of the teams make finals still but just can't seem to get over the line.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It's important to keep in mind many of the UQ recruits are not students at UQ.

Many of the other clubs still simply haven't figured out how to recruit. Or appoint totally inexperienced/unqualified coaches.

Souths for example treat colts like rookie learn to coach program. As a result they get guys with no recruiting ability. Even when they won in 2009 they had 25 colts in the whole club.

I see Horans kid is at UQ. Now I highly doubt that he would have gone to Souths, but let's for argument say he was considering it.

How hard to you think UQ had to work to get him across when the coach at Souths has never coached before?

Not picking on Souths, they simply are terrible at realising it isn't 1999 anymore and the strength of their name isn't that attractive. Much like when they had Tevita Kurindrani sign, sealed and delivered until they had to actually do something for the kid. They wouldn't, UQ would, so he left.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I noticed during the pre-season Souths attached Shane Arnold's name to a few of the Colts training sessions but haven't heard much more about that. I said from the start that throwing Nicol into Prem Colts straight off the bat may not be the best option for Souths. We will see how it pays off, at the moment it could go either way.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any predictions for this weekends games? I'm going with:
1.Sunnybank over Brothers
2.Bond over Wests
3.UQ over GPS
4.Norths over Souths

Going to head to the 'Bank vs Filth game

Managreve

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey lads fire up and add your thoughts , I'm heading to the Brothers / norths game .should be a close thing but my pics are Brothers ( very underrated team) Easts Sunnybank and GPS.....

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Hey lads fire up and add your thoughts , I'm heading to the Brothers / norths game .should be a close thing but my pics are Brothers ( very underrated team) Easts Sunnybank and GPS...

The Colts 1 game down at Crosby Park should be very good as well with both teams having good starts to the season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS Prem Colts will be happy with their effort against The Bank on the weekend. They had several opportunities to get within striking distance but a missed penalty kick and other little errors came into their game. Was a good hitout from both sides.

Also with GPS Prem Grade essentially out finals contention, you would expect the Colts to be buffered with the likes of Tuttle and Magnay for the final rounds which is good for them.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hard to say breakdown. They come up against some top 4 teams over the next few weeks so we will find out pretty soon. They have great coaches, a good mix of skill sets in the team with lots of depth in most positions so they should be more than ok.

Front row stocks were tested on the weekend with 2 colts tightheads up in prems, 2 more with short term injuries, 1 with a long term injury and one got hurt in colts 1 while on the come back from an injury. Not bad to be competing when you are down to prop numbers 7 and 8.

Nathan Russell has been up playing prems and reserve grade and it looks like the half back will be needed in the top team for the next few weeks as well.

Those 2 dropping back and teaming up with Alex Horan (who has been very impressive) jurd, and Aussie u18 7's players Edwards and Setu makes for a pretty handy back line .

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Hard to say breakdown. They come up against some top 4 teams over the next few weeks so we will find out pretty soon. They have great coaches, a good mix of skill sets in the team with lots of depth in most positions so they should be more than ok.

Front row stocks were tested on the weekend with 2 colts tightheads up in prems, 2 more with short term injuries, 1 with a long term injury and one got hurt in colts 1 while on the come back from an injury. Not bad to be competing when you are down to prop numbers 7 and 8.

Nathan Russell has been up playing prems and reserve grade and it looks like the half back will be needed in the top team for the next few weeks as well.

Those 2 dropping back and teaming up with Alex Horan (who has been very impressive) jurd, and Aussie u18 7's players Edwards and Setu makes for a pretty handy back line .

Sounds like depth is being tested but certainly there based on results. Why so lean on front rowers in grades that Colts are being drafted up?

Is Nathan Russell likely to hold down a spot for the remainder of the season?Backline looks like there's plenty of points in them without him!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
A mixture of injuries and the boys been good enough to play at that level has lead to the props playing up.

As for Russell in the top grade he will definitely by given his chances

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big win for Uni yesterday.Premier Colts. & Colts 1 game at Sunnybank should be great games on Saturday.I see Joey Fittock has been included in the Aus U20 team tomorrow which probably rules him out of Saturday's clash.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Izaia Perese red carded yesterday TT in his first game back from injury. Now set to miss next week which I'm sure GPS will be thrilled about.

Solid win by the Tigers over Norths.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any word on when Harley Fox will return?With Perese,Fox & Rodda all playing,Easts really have got 3 stars to build their team around.Add Liam Wright,Jeremy Gimpel & Eli Pilz into the mix & it looks like a really strong core.Easts lost to all 4 teams above them in Round 1.With all their players on deck I doubt this will be the case in Round 2.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Izaia Perese red carded yesterday TT in his first game back from injury. Now set to miss next week which I'm sure GPS will be thrilled about.

Solid win by the Tigers over Norths.

Perese gets a red card last week but lines up for Easts Colts today... Interesting!

GPS will no doubt query this.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Perese gets a red card last week but lines up for Easts Colts today. Interesting!

GPS will no doubt query this.

Strange because both of the Norths red cards from last week have been given a 1 week interim suspension despite Perese being involved in the second fight when he already had been given his marching orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.