• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Wow. That's an impressive program.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Keep in mind when you make your ironic comment that the University actually has substantial money to give to kids through scholarships and hence they have had the majority of the cream of the crop.

The whole idea of 'a program' is to develop players. Surely the proof is in the pudding that Wests were one game off the big dance and had none of these superstars from school. That's the question everyone is asking and I'd say it has a lot to do with the work the players and coaches have done over the course of the last 8 months which developed these players substantially

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My comment wasn't ironic. They have won 14 of 19 titles. That's impressive. Where is the irony there? Winning 4th grade requires more than 8 schoolboys.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests won all 3 Colts divisions in 1987 and 1999.

You are spot on about 1987. You were the first club to get a clean sweep.

But I think in '99 you missed out in Colts 3 (now Colts 2) by losing to Uni. But Wests did win the other colts divisions.

Brothers have had about 5 chances at winning all three divisions but have only managed to get 2/3. It's very hard to attain as great depth is required. Hopefully we can achieve it this weekend.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
UQ have won 14 of the last 19 colts premierships (across all grades) including clean sweeps in 2011 and 2012. They also won all three in 2002. Not sure of the other clubs

Red Heavy do you know if there has always been 4 divisions of colts? Or is that a more recent situation?

Did UQ win 3/3 (or 4/4) in 2011-12? Bloody impressive either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Big one tomorrow going to be a close one. Still think Brothers by 5; no program or too many schoolboy stars in sight.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Great win by UQ controlled the game well. Dominated the running, the lineouts and general play. Poor defensive effort by Brothers and I thought lucky to be in the game.

Didn't understand the penalty try? At one stage I thought I was watching a repeat of NC v BBC yesterday

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Keep in mind when you make your ironic comment that the University actually has substantial money to give to kids through scholarships and hence they have had the majority of the cream of the crop.

The whole idea of 'a program' is to develop players. Surely the proof is in the pudding that Wests were one game off the big dance and had none of these superstars from school. That's the question everyone is asking and I'd say it has a lot to do with the work the players and coaches have done over the course of the last 8 months which developed these players substantially

Saying UQ only gets talented played due to scholarships is not 100% true.
This year UQ gave out 8 scholarships. 2 went to female 7’s players and the other 6 went to colts. 5 of these colts played plenty of games in colts 1. With 4 of them in colts 1 on gf day and 2 in prem colts.

The end of the day no matter how good a footy player you are you can't get a scholarship to UQ unless you are smart enough to get into UQ (plus some other non rugby criteria as well).

Kids come to UQ because they win a lot of games, their mates play there, it's fun, the coaching is pretty good across the board and there is a proven pathway to Premier Grade and beyond.

Wests did really well this year and I hope they keep at it but for me the true test of a premier Colts “program” is how many of them graduate to Premier Grade and higher and of course the consistency of this.

Of the 15 staters for UQ Premier Grade that won the premiership on Sunday only the 2 props, a lock (Irish guy over here for uni), the 13 (went to league straight from school) and the captain Jack De Guingand (played colts in Sydney) haven't won a colts premiership at UQ.

Of the 12 nrc players picked from uni only Jack de and Sef didn't play colts here. Obviously the colts part of their time at UQ is only one part of the development but for most it's an important part.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
You are spot on about 1987. You were the first club to get a clean sweep.

But I think in '99 you missed out in Colts 3 (now Colts 2) by losing to Uni. But Wests did win the other colts divisions.

Brothers have had about 5 chances at winning all three divisions but have only managed to get 2/3. It's very hard to attain as great depth is required. Hopefully we can achieve it this weekend.
Brothers came within a gust of wind for 3 from 3 which is a fantastic effort.
Says a lot about what they are building at Crosby Rd.
Stumpy do you know the last time brothers won prem colts?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I couldn't be prouder of what UQ did in the colts on the weekend and through out the year.

To win with 14 men for close to 40 minutes of a the game against such a high quality team was a huge effort for the boys. (As was it to get over both the bank and Wests in the run in.)

Was a good game if footy to watch as well.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Saying UQ only gets talented played due to scholarships is not 100% true.
This year UQ gave out 8 scholarships. 2 went to female 7’s players and the other 6 went to colts. 5 of these colts played plenty of games in colts 1. With 4 of them in colts 1 on gf day and 2 in prem colts.

The end of the day no matter how good a footy player you are you can't get a scholarship to UQ unless you are smart enough to get into UQ (plus some other non rugby criteria as well).

Kids come to UQ because they win a lot of games, their mates play there, it's fun, the coaching is pretty good across the board and there is a proven pathway to Premier Grade and beyond.

Wests did really well this year and I hope they keep at it but for me the true test of a premier Colts “program” is how many of them graduate to Premier Grade and higher and of course the consistency of this.

Of the 15 staters for UQ Premier Grade that won the premiership on Sunday only the 2 props, a lock (Irish guy over here for uni), the 13 (went to league straight from school) and the captain Jack De Guingand (played colts in Sydney) haven't won a colts premiership at UQ.

Of the 12 nrc players picked from uni only Jack de and Sef didn't play colts here. Obviously the colts part of their time at UQ is only one part of the development but for most it's an important part.

There is no doubt Uni are the benchmark. However they do have many advantages that put other clubs at a substantial disadvantage. Effectively the cost of production at uni os lower with no ground maintenance and other associated costs of actually running a facility.

Uni effectively cherry pick talent from junior clubs/ schools but also get the benefit of boys who come into town from regional centres who come to town for an a=education and just want a game and the Uni club is the logical choice.

Uni have done a tremendous job in the corporate space with pretty high quality support.

It is hard to see how some of the smaller clubs can compete with this level of financial and logistical disadvantage.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is no doubt Uni are the benchmark. However they do have many advantages that put other clubs at a substantial disadvantage. Effectively the cost of production at uni os lower with no ground maintenance and other associated costs of actually running a facility.

Uni effectively cherry pick talent from junior clubs/ schools but also get the benefit of boys who come into town from regional centres who come to town for an a=education and just want a game and the Uni club is the logical choice.

Uni have done a tremendous job in the corporate space with pretty high quality support.

It is hard to see how some of the smaller clubs can compete with this level of financial and logistical disadvantage.

We definitely have advantages but lower costs is a bad example as we pay to use the grounds at UQ just like every other club at the uni. They are also shared facilitates so we don't have complete access to them when ever we want (no one is allowed on the main field before 11 ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.